LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front mudflap trim successful!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
huckyourmeat's Tacoma Gallery
Front mudflap trim successful!

Finally got up the courage to trim my front mudflaps. I was a little nervous, but I took my time and used the tin snips method others have talked about. Made sure the truck was level, measured the height of the rear flaps, marked that height on the front, then cut straight across, same height on both right and left (duh).

After cutting straight across, I took the piece that I trimmed off and traced the curves onto the mudflap. Since the cut flap is a little wider due to the taper, I traced one side, then slid the "template" over, and traced the other side.

Before re-installing, I decided to add Clearbra where the flaps touch the fender flares. This took a while, but if you've done any clearbra before, this wasn't too tough. Hardest part is the trial and error of getting it cut right, but after you get one cut, you can use it as a template for all four flaps (rear needs to be slightly larger, so I used it as my template). I've only had my truck for about a month and a half, so I wanted to do that as soon as possible to make sure that there wasn't any fender wear due to time.

Tools that came in handy:
--Tin snips-straight cut, left cut, and right cut. Helps with the curves.
--Files-double bastard (Aggressive) and flat-cut (smoother). Helps to grind down the serrations from the tinsnips and remove the little flaps that form from re-positioning the snips. Obviously start rough, then go smooth (that's what she said).
--Sandpaper/foam sanding blocks-80 grit through 400 grit. 400 grit really helps "polish" the edges so that they look factory. Same as above...work your way to the higher grit.

Here are some pics...let me know what you think or if you have any questions! I'm very pleased with the results and really glad I did it.

Trimmed flaps:

Clearbra:

Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
I also did this mod as soon as i got my truck, what a waste of time tho! As soon as you upgrade tire sizes (which you will soon enough, if you spend any amount of time on this site) you'll need to remove them anyways.

Looks good tho, and the clearbra was a nice touch...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
I trimmed the front rudders off my truck soon after i replaced the tires. Looks good
Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Did you remove the mud flaps from the truck to cut them? If so, how hard is it?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
subd, Looks great! I want to know if there is any less protection to the side of the vehicle with them being shorter. Let us know what you notice. Want to trim mine, but afraid I'll then be throwing crap up the side of my truck that escapes under where i trimmed.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Thats probably the cleanest trim job i remember seeing on those.

Nice work.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
I think i trimmed off 3 or 4 inches, and it still protects thr sides. No chips and its been about a year
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
Thanks for all the compliments, guys. Like I said, it wasn't as hard as I expected and it turned out better than I thought it would.

I'll let you know if I notice any more "stuff" flying up, but looking at them, it's hard to imagine the physics of something flying up and making it past the mud guard. They still look like they'll protect pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
Did you remove the mud flaps from the truck to cut them? If so, how hard is it?
I did remove the flaps. The main reason I did was for the Clearbra, but if I had to do it again, I would take them off even if I wasn't doing the Clearbra. Removing the flaps is quite easy--it's just three 10mm bolts (which also have phillips head inside, but you'd have to have a pretty short screwdriver to get at them since the tire is in the way).

After that, there are three of the press-fit retainer clips. Slip a small flathead screwdriver under the inner flange part, wiggle your way around, then pry it up gently. Once the inner part pops up, all you do is grab it and gently wiggle and the whole clip slides out.

Really, it is quite easy to remove the mudflaps and it definitely made marking, cutting, filing, and sanding much, much easier.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Funny experience...I was in the parking lot of Home Depot this morning and when I came out, there was a Tacoma that had parked next to me. The driver asked me where I got my mudflaps!

He only had one on the front and ripped one off wheeling up by Blackhawk. Told him I cut them, sent him to Tacoma World. Hope to see him here!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Where's the How-To write up.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Where's the How-To write up.
Sorry, only had a short time to do it so I didn't have time to take pics of the process. All of the details that I followed are in my posts, though!