1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back-up camera - Hook up to Nav?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Black Sheep, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    I am having a Kenwood head unit installed with all the bells and whistles. it has the hook-up for a back-up camera. What I am trying to find out is can I have that hook-up that goes to the rear view mirror from my tailgate camera hooked up to the new unit. Anyone that might be able to help me out with this info or direct me to someone that might be able to help, that would be fantastic.

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    rcmorgan540

rcmorgan540 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood 6960 Head Unit
    I just put a Kenwood in mine. This would be cool to figure out. I wonder if the resolution of the camera would look ok on the larger screen. I am sure it can be done. The question is would the labor be worth it.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    coppert

coppert Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
  4. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    chenbro

chenbro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver DCSB TRD OR
    What haven’t I changed?
    I've got the stock backup cam working with the Kenwood DNX9960 that I am hoping to install before the end of the year.

I followed this guide: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/30889-oem-camera-connection-below-dash.html

You will need to wire up an RCA connector as shown in the guide. One of the key pictures is missing since I last looked at the guide. In the second pic, the one showing the factory camera connector, the red wire in the plug above that one is where you want to run the backup sensor lead. On my truck, there were more wires in that plug and two of them were red, so be sure you tap into the red wire that's further away from you when looking at the plug. It's best just to get a multimeter to test, as you will get 12V reading when you put the car into reverse and nothing when you're in neutral or any other gear. I'll try to take some pics later so you can see what I'm talking about.

Picture quality of the stock backup cam in the Kenwood headunit isn't great but isn't terrible either. The main problem is the picture is "stretched" to fit the widescreen, and I have some scan lines that move from the bottom of the screen to the top, but it's certainly functional enough for me to figure out what i'm looking at. If I didn't retain the image in the mirror it might be better, but I didn't want to lose that so I can deal with the hit in quality.

Products Discussed in

To Top