1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New person question on billies and add-a-leafs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma675, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Tacoma675

Tacoma675 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Kingwood,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    Husky floor mats
    So ive been told that billis and add-a-leafs are an effective way to get a few inches of lift. What brand of add-a-leafs are recomended and what setting should I set the billis at. Should I get all four billies or just the front? Do i need any other parts, or will four billies and an add a leaf work? Thanks guys.

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just installed my Toytec AAL kit a few days ago. I'm happy with it. Took a few hours to do by myself. It will add as much as 2" to the rear of your truck. You may also need certain shims and spacers to keep the driveshaft inline. Depending on your truck and how much the rear is actually lifted. Some need only a carrier bearing shim/drop. Some need that AND a 2.5 to 3 degree axle shim.

As for Bilsteins, I dont personally have any experience. This is the first vehicle ive own where I was actually concerned with RAISING the suspension. But, I will suggest not installing just new shocks to raise your truck. The ride will get harsher if you simply adjust the 5100 Bilsteins to a taller height. When raising or lowering suspension, the proper way is to start at the springs, as that is what is supporting the weight of the vehicle. But if you replce springs, most of the time youll need to replace the shocks as well.

I myself am considering going with some OME front springs (approx. 2" lift) and Bilstein 5100s all around.

There are plenty of guys on here who have done JUST bilstein shocks to raise their truck and are happy with it. But the ride is a little harsher and they have less suspension travel. Itll depend on how you use your truck the most

Toytec.com has everything at pretty reasonable prices.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    Tacoma675

Tacoma675 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Kingwood,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    Husky floor mats
    thanks for the good info!

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toytec, Wheelers, and Fat Bob's Garage are all popular add-a-leafs, can't go wrong with any of them.

As far as the billy's, getting all four will improve your ride, but the rears aren't necessary for the lift.

As far as what to set the fronts at, it's up to you whether you want to be level or have some rake. Search around and you'll find plenty of examples of different settings.

Products Discussed in

To Top