1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HP and Torque - guess I'm a cheap date

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Polymerhead, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I loaded 3 other people in my Tacoma today for a lunch run. I have to say, I love the way it drove. I honestly couldn't tell a bit of difference with an extra 550 lbs of people in it.

I say that because I'm coming out of a 2001 V6 Mustang, which only has about 40 fewer horses in it, but is geared like a sports car. I had to keep my foot in it from the very beginning to get any kind of decent accelleration, and adding a passenger killed the fun of the drive (not to mention the few times there were 4 of us crammed in there). I even used to turn off the AC on on-ramps because it sucked up some HP. Above 3500 RPM the 'stang was a lot of fun, but the thing had nothing from 40-70 mph. Basically the complete opposite of my Tacoma.

Anyway, just wanted to gush a bit about my truck. I know it's no brute compared to a full-size, but I LOVE the way it's geared, the way it hauls, and I think I'm going to be happy with my Tacoma for a long time.

K...that's it.

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    These are strong sixes, fettled for torque, not speed. This gives them much better punch in the range that matters...20 to 60.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Tgor

Tgor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Florence,KY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab L/B Mag Grey
    WeatherTech digi-fit floor mats, vent visiors, coming soon: Satoshi mod :-)
    no doubt I actually spun the wheels unintentionally when I was test driving it for the first time.:D

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I was disappointed with the power of all the Ranger 4.0 5 speeds I test drove, and I was driving a full size bronco 4.9L I6 at the time.

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    supataco

supataco Shaq-enzy Falls

Member:
    First Name:
    Ichiro
    Oahu - Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010-SSM-AC-TRDSport-PreRunner
    -17" 4Runner Trail Wheels (265/70/17) -OEM Tube Steps -Tailgate Security Clamps -Trimmed Mudflaps -Bed Bar -Kobalt Box -Bed Mat -Toyota Mats
    I love my taco!

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    Dude, I had an 03 Cobra with the supercharged 4.6, and three additional people would kill the car.

I had 5 people in the cab of the truck, two in the bed, along with a full keg (school spirit at football games), and I hardly noticed a change.

7. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yeah in the torque department these V6's do a very damn good job. I usually drive around kinda slow to try to save on gas money. But every once a while I have to step on it and I always get a little shocked by the kick it has.

8. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    I agree with all of you :D my truck really suprised me when I had 3 adult passengers. At first I thought, "oh I hope my truck doesn't embarass me on take off...and WOW she really pulled through with out a hitch :D

I finally got to test the difference between 4HI and 4Low today up a steep little incline and again WOW, it went up like a champ on 4low. It would also go up on 4HI but had a bit more trouble having to give it more gas and all.

9. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    2gtacoma

2gtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    H-town
    Vehicle:
    05 -PreRunner sr5
    URD Maf Cal, Airaid intake, Gibson exhaust, Urd short shifter,Trd shift knob, 2.25 lift,Satoshi grill, Trex eyelids
    i kept hitting the rev limiter in my 6spd taco, coming from my civic with a fully built B16 shifting at 9k all the time getting 35 mpg it was a very different feeling.

10. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I only have felt a drop in power when hauling 3 bikes at 8000 feet.

11. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    These are strong little beasts...but no powerhouse by any stretch.

Of course, I'm tainted from a lifetime of driving V8 pickups...Corvettes...and motorcycles. :D

However...I dig my Tacoma.

12. Nov 4, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Agreed. Some people on here (and this isn't happening in this thread, it just happens sometimes) think these Tacos are monster fast.

They're acceptable speed (~7 second 0-60 is average these days), but what they do really well is *drive*. Passing goes very well. Towing/hauling go very well. They're not power monsters, but they handle their tasks with aplomb and no struggling, and I think that's the appeal.

13. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    MJF

MJF VSC blows

Member:
    Peoples republic of Kaliforniastan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport DCLB
    I am quite impressed by the Tacoma. Coming from a very fast LS1 Camaro I thought I would be disappointed driving around with no power. I am glad to say that I am very happy with the power of this truck. I test drove a the last S 10 ZR2 a few years ago and was very disappointed with the total lack of power. Toyota has done a great job with this motor, it zips around very well.

Products Discussed in

To Top