Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HP and Torque - guess I'm a cheap date

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
HP and Torque - guess I'm a cheap date

I loaded 3 other people in my Tacoma today for a lunch run. I have to say, I love the way it drove. I honestly couldn't tell a bit of difference with an extra 550 lbs of people in it.

I say that because I'm coming out of a 2001 V6 Mustang, which only has about 40 fewer horses in it, but is geared like a sports car. I had to keep my foot in it from the very beginning to get any kind of decent accelleration, and adding a passenger killed the fun of the drive (not to mention the few times there were 4 of us crammed in there). I even used to turn off the AC on on-ramps because it sucked up some HP. Above 3500 RPM the 'stang was a lot of fun, but the thing had nothing from 40-70 mph. Basically the complete opposite of my Tacoma.

Anyway, just wanted to gush a bit about my truck. I know it's no brute compared to a full-size, but I LOVE the way it's geared, the way it hauls, and I think I'm going to be happy with my Tacoma for a long time.

K...that's it.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I came from a 03 Ranger 4.0 5 speed and when I mashed the pedal for the first time in my Taco it was just WOW.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
These are strong sixes, fettled for torque, not speed. This gives them much better punch in the range that matters...20 to 60.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Tgor is a splendid one to beholdTgor is a splendid one to beholdTgor is a splendid one to beholdTgor is a splendid one to beholdTgor is a splendid one to beholdTgor is a splendid one to beholdTgor is a splendid one to behold

Name: Todd
Tgor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
These are strong sixes, fettled for torque, not speed. This gives them much better punch in the range that matters...20 to 60.
no doubt I actually spun the wheels unintentionally when I was test driving it for the first time.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I came from a 03 Ranger 4.0 5 speed and when I mashed the pedal for the first time in my Taco it was just WOW.
I was disappointed with the power of all the Ranger 4.0 5 speeds I test drove, and I was driving a full size bronco 4.9L I6 at the time.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ichiro
supataco's Tacoma Gallery
I love my taco!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
EBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really nice

Name: Rob
EBBS03's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, I had an 03 Cobra with the supercharged 4.6, and three additional people would kill the car.

I had 5 people in the cab of the truck, two in the bed, along with a full keg (school spirit at football games), and I hardly noticed a change.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah in the torque department these V6's do a very damn good job. I usually drive around kinda slow to try to save on gas money. But every once a while I have to step on it and I always get a little shocked by the kick it has.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I was disappointed with the power of all the Ranger 4.0 5 speeds I test drove, and I was driving a full size bronco 4.9L I6 at the time.
Well at the time the Ranger made the most NA power. The first gen Frontier could only make 3 more hp with a supercharged 3.3 V6 so I passed.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with all of you my truck really suprised me when I had 3 adult passengers. At first I thought, "oh I hope my truck doesn't embarass me on take off...and WOW she really pulled through with out a hitch

I finally got to test the difference between 4HI and 4Low today up a steep little incline and again WOW, it went up like a champ on 4low. It would also go up on 4HI but had a bit more trouble having to give it more gas and all.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i kept hitting the rev limiter in my 6spd taco, coming from my civic with a fully built B16 shifting at 9k all the time getting 35 mpg it was a very different feeling.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I only have felt a drop in power when hauling 3 bikes at 8000 feet.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
These are strong little beasts...but no powerhouse by any stretch.

Of course, I'm tainted from a lifetime of driving V8 pickups...Corvettes...and motorcycles.

However...I dig my Tacoma.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
These are strong little beasts...but no powerhouse by any stretch.

Agreed. Some people on here (and this isn't happening in this thread, it just happens sometimes) think these Tacos are monster fast.

They're acceptable speed (~7 second 0-60 is average these days), but what they do really well is *drive*. Passing goes very well. Towing/hauling go very well. They're not power monsters, but they handle their tasks with aplomb and no struggling, and I think that's the appeal.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
VSC blows
MJF will become famous soon enoughMJF will become famous soon enough

Army: 82nd Airborne
MJF's Tacoma Gallery
I am quite impressed by the Tacoma. Coming from a very fast LS1 Camaro I thought I would be disappointed driving around with no power. I am glad to say that I am very happy with the power of this truck. I test drove a the last S 10 ZR2 a few years ago and was very disappointed with the total lack of power. Toyota has done a great job with this motor, it zips around very well.