Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power steering concern

Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
radioactivemint is on a distinguished road
Name: John
radioactivemint's Tacoma Gallery
Power steering concern

When I bought my new truck and got it home, I looked in the engine compartment and noticed liquid that had collected in the skid plate. I reached my finger around there and it was a very light oil. I figured it was just spillage from a factory fill up, so I didn't think much of it.

Today I started my truck and put it in reverse. As I was backing up and turning the wheel to exit my parking space, the power steering seemed pretty rough, made noise and could feel it in the steering wheel...after a couple seconds it was back to normal. I looked under the hood and realized some power steering fluid had leaked (I can take pictures tomorrow) and that was the liquid I had seen in the skid plate.

I guess my question is: is this normal? Just a new car breaking in and what not? I hate that the power steering resevoir is not see through.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
That doesn't sound normal to me. Even if it is the truck breaking in (which I doubt) Id take it in since its under warranty.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
That doesn't sound normal to me. Even if it is the truck breaking in (which I doubt) Id take it in since its under warranty.
Aye, I go in tomorrow to refinance (my post-poned downpayment!), so I should probably get it looked at while I'm there.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #4

So there's my problem. In the first pic you can see the leak, in the second you can see it all dripping down the tubes and filling up the skid plate. I just checked the levels with the dipstick cap...bone dry. It's not even showing on the bottom of the dipstick. Only 900 miles on this truck...god, how disheartening. Can I even drive it to the dealer or will that cause even more damage?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #5
Potomac30 is on a distinguished road
Potomac30's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't drive it with an empty PS reservoir. I asked the parts guy at our local Toyota dealership about what PS fluid they stock and he said that if they need fluid, they get it from the local parts store - house brand stuff. You could get some fluid and refill the reservoir, crank it up, turn the wheels and refill until you get the system topped off, but if it were my new truck, I'd make the dealership tow it in and fix it or replace it. If you top it off and drive it in yourself, it could run dry before you get there and then they might say that you caused the damage. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
I took your advice and had them tow it. They paid for everything. Turns out it was a deformation in the line, a factory defect. Totally covered, including towing. They even washed the old fluid off my skid plate... pretty pleased with the service I received today. The whole ordeal, including towing, was completed in less than two hours.