Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for a good bumper/grille guard

Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
NorCal Member
dk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to all

Name: David
dk6487's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a good bumper/grille guard

Are there any bumper guards that protect my front end from damage or airbag deployment?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed06redtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06redtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
air bags are set off by velocity. so no i dont think anything will stop them from going off. just out of curiosity why would u want to stop them from going off?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the brush guards/grill guards out there unfortunately aren't strong enough to really protect your front end from an actual collision with anything. An aftermarket plate steel bumper like an ARB may give you some protection. The only grill guard i've even heard of that is sturdy enough to do anything is the Warn Trans4mer. One guy told me its strong enough to actually hold up to some serious abuse.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I got my WAAG Grill Guard to some what protect the Radiator in case I hit a Deer or something like that I may be able to still limp into town. Nothing is going to do much in a wreck
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to buy a skid plate guard this year. But I found a generic gril guard on craigslist cheep. Just enough to fend off the dog size deer around here. I will post pics once I install it.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTacoZack View Post
Most of the brush guards/grill guards out there unfortunately aren't strong enough to really protect your front end from an actual collision with anything. An aftermarket plate steel bumper like an ARB may give you some protection. The only grill guard i've even heard of that is sturdy enough to do anything is the Warn Trans4mer. One guy told me its strong enough to actually hold up to some serious abuse.
x2. I have an aftermarket full grille/headlight guard and I wouldn't expect it to do much in a front end collision, even with a deer. I got in a light accident and I rear ended a car at a very slow speed and it held up fine but beyond that it wouldn't do much. I bought mine because people here can't park so they park by touch and this thing saves my front end from getting cracked up.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Relentless makes a steel plate bumper that is very strong and beefy. I just put mine on last night. You really can't beat 1/4" plate steel and an appealing look. ARB is well known for their strength as well, but I am not a fan of the look.

adjusting CO's and checking all bolts were still torqued after the install a couple weeks ago - shitty cell pic.

Wow, now thats one plate bumper that actually looks good. Have you thought about painting it white to match? That looks really good.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
Quote:
Thanks. I like the red/white/black theme. Kinda have it all over the truck. I'm not a fan of the color matched plate bumpers + I DIY my paint so black is easy. I got a gallon of industrial primer and a gallon of industrial acrylic paint and did my sliders, rear bumper, and front bumper for about $130 in materials.

here is the rear
So these come unpainted, like bare metal?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Quote:
Yes, sir. I got the rear bumper used and stripped it myself. Sliders and bumper come bare as they will only get nicked up in shipping anyway plus you can finish however you want. I have a boatload of progressive pics in my album.

Last time I got a quote from Line-X they wanted $300 to spray my old TRD skid plate and Avid light bar . No thanks - Ill spend my money on more productive things. I will be messing this stuff up so the ability to color match touch up in minutes VS having to take it off and get it resprayed by them is priceless.
It does look pretty badass, especially compared to the ARB's.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I can do full tube guards on these, or any variation of tube you'd like.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/rel...umper-buy.html