Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Okay to drive with old tires?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Okay to drive with old tires?

I'm getting my wheels powder coated, so I'm going to be wheel-less for a but. I have my old steelies, but they have been sitting in the shed for a year. Is it fine to just slap em on and drive around with them? Gonna be using the highway a lot.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
How do they look, is there a lot of dry rot? You can look at it this way, my wife's car has two sets one for winter and one for summer. So each sitting for about 6 months of the year in a corner of the garage. I just give them a quick once over and check the air before they go on the car. Otherwise no worries.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
As long as they hold air, have enough tread, and aren't dry rotted you should be fine.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
ya really can't see rotten on newer stuff till you actually roll on it and it flies apart.

That being said, I've rolled on some pretty nasty tires without noticing.. then again, the road is covered with people's tires.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Clean them up, inspect, and if no rot, put some 303 aerospace protectant on the sidewalls and roll!
I would put that stuff on any tires you store and, or use.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
PR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nice
PR45's Tacoma Gallery
6 months, a year, no biggie unless they've been in the sun and are cracked.

I just put some 5 year old Goodyears on my Exploder and took them off after about a week. I got to looking at them again after they ran a while, and even though there were no cracks when I put them on, cracks were opening in the tread and sidewalls.

The Exploder will be getting a set of Dunlops off my Tacoma, as soon as I decide which way to go with my Yoko Geolanders--white letter out, or blackwall. WTF is a "Geolander" anyway? And do I want everyone asking that when they look at my truck? But I digress...