1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why go back to Stock

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jivewalker, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Nov 4, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    I see a lot of posts in the buy/sell section for stuff for sale with the reason listed as going back to stock. My question is why? I've got a brand new stock truck and before I go the other way, I'd like to know what makes people want to change back to stock tires/wheels/etc... Thanks for any insight you can share.

2. Nov 4, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Selling it, or lease is up. Just a guess on my part.

3. Nov 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    As I do with my motorcycles, I will save all my truck OEM parts (suspension, bumpers, etc). I'll return it to stock before selling it. It's easier to get some of the money I spent on mod if I sell them separately. Most people just want a stock truck/motorcycle (a clean slate) when they buy new toys, then make them their own.

I can't blame them, I'm the same way.

4. Nov 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    Shiftin2Sixth

Shiftin2Sixth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt (kûrt)
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM TRD-OR DCSB 4WD
    I went mostly back to stock just because i was bored. Kinda like hitting the reset button to start all over again or go another direction. I've already started to mod up again.

5. Nov 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    Back to stock because I traded it in on a FJ........don't flame me!

6. Nov 4, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    x2 ====> It's 99% perception in sales.

7. Nov 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    It's probably mostly a selling thing. The car/truck world is so screwed up that way. A new set of stock tires is worth maybe $800, but you're lucky to sell them for half that even when they're still new. Then the new wheels and tires you put on are worth like $1200 new but would may or may not add anything to the price of the truck, especially at a dealer. So when you swap tires and rims you either sell the stockers for half what they're worth to subsidize the new purchase or you keep them for when you trade/sell the truck down the road. If you put the stockers back on it doesn't affect trade in value and then you can sell your aftermarket set for maybe $750.

Same goes for stereo upgrades, canopy, lift, etc. Alot of these mods might make a sale, in my case I liked the wheels/tires and the canopy my truck came with, but they usually don't add to the value of a used vehicle. Another example would be say $200 for nice floormats, keeps the carpet in good shape but a truck that's worth $15000 isn't worth $15200 with the mats. But it is worth $100 to sell them. Also, something to keep in mind is maybe that truck would have been worth only $14500 if the carpet was all beat and filthy.

The only other things would be maybe your commute went up or gas went up so you swap the stock highway tires for your big all terrains or something. Also, perhaps the aftermarket part kinda sucks, like swapping some leaky foggy ebay lights for stock again.

There's no reason not to modify your truck though, just be careful about what you do it and don't expect to get the money back when you finish.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    What they both said ++ I do marketing for a dealer here and I found out that most the time they pull the good stuff out or off and try to either resell it on a new truck or put it on the mechanics vehicles. Some guy traded an fj, the dealer said cause of the arb bumpers and upgrades with miles he would only get a little extra cash ( could have pulled off and sold for way way more ) then the mechanic that pulled it off put it on the bosses wife's fj. The best part is the boss paid less than 1K for lights, bumper and winch......

9. Nov 5, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    what everyone has stated. Stock trucks would be easier to sell to a greater range of age groups than modded trucks. I don't think you will see Grandpa sportin' a Tacoma with satoshi,devil horns,Arb bumper and some Rock Stars.

10. Nov 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    My dealer wouldn't take a modded truck in on trade...they said to put all the original parts back on and come back.

11. Nov 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    SLOCOMA

SLOCOMA Your Toyota Parts Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    kenny
    ARI-ZO-NA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD PRERUNNER
    If I was going to buy any car or truck, I would prefer stock.. Because I rather do the work myself than having work done on it already.. thats NO FUN..!

Products Discussed in

To Top