Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

That GD tire pressure light...

Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Grey Jay is on a distinguished road
Grey Jay's Tacoma Gallery
That GD tire pressure light...

Can't stand it...

I know I have read somehwere how to get rid of the tire pressure light, but I think it was off a camry or something.

I have two questions ( actually three I guess):

How do you do it on our trucks?
Has anyone ever actually done it, and how long did it take you?

I would like to get some wheels and winter tires but I can't stand that stupid light. My wife's '10 RAV does not have it. I wish my 08 TRD didn't either. Please no "just put a peice of electrical tape on it" replies.

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jay View Post
Can't stand it...

I know I have read somehwere how to get rid of the tire pressure light, but I think it was off a camry or something.

I have two questions ( actually three I guess):

How do you do it on our trucks?
Has anyone ever actually done it, and how long did it take you?

I would like to get some wheels and winter tires but I can't stand that stupid light. My wife's '10 RAV does not have it. I wish my 08 TRD didn't either. Please no "just put a peice of electrical tape on it" replies.

Thanks a lot!
Your wifes '10 does have it, IIRC it is part of the TREAD act. aka..Federally mandated to be on vehicles.

I guess you could take the LED out, other than that i don't know of anyway to disable it.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Only way to completely disable it is to remove the LED as far as I've read (barring a piece of electrical tape which you explicitely stated you wanted to avoid). You could also make the makeshift pressure vessel out of PVC and keep your sensors in the cab so the light stays off. Someone else here has wheel straps that strap the TMPS sensor to the wheel itself and then uses standard valve stems on the wheels.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I have two sets of tires & rims for the "seasons".
I only use one set of sensors (in the winter set since my truck came with steel rims).
During the summer, my winter set is in the garage.
I do not a light unless I get out of range...its pretty far..I've park 20+ miles overnight & not gotten a light.
When that happens I put a business card on the dash.
When I get home & park, it resets overnight by itself.
Its been this way for 3 seasons & was the same with my tundra before that.
FWIW, my truck is an 06 w/ a sensor in the spare.

you can always break down the tires and do the wheelbarrow mod or pipe bomb mod. Search the forum to find the threads on that. They are documented pretty good.

Speaking of spare...
Check it, it might be low (the blinking you have now).
You gotta drop the tire to do this.
I ended up flipping mine so I can check it now without dropping it.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Grey Jay is on a distinguished road
Grey Jay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your wifes '10 does have it,
This is a Canadain vehicle, pretty sure it doesn't but since I put winter rims and tires on no problem and the summer tires are not stored anywhere near the vehicle.

Quote:
You could also make the makeshift pressure vessel out of PVC
Thought about this too. Do the sensors need to be installed with the valves through the sides so the sensors read the differential between the inside and outside pressure, or, can they be just dropped in a pressureized tube?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thought about this too. Do the sensors need to be installed with the valves through the sides so the sensors read the differential between the inside and outside pressure, or, can they be just dropped in a pressureized tube?
The sensors do not read pressure differential between the outside and inside. There's a kit out there that straps the whole sensor to the wheel so the entire assembly is inside the tire and it works fine. As long as the part that is currently inside your wheel is in a pressurized vessel, it will work. Another easy option is a wheel barrel tire. Just drop all 4 sensors in the small tire and pump it up.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Someone else here has wheel straps that strap the TMPS sensor to the wheel itself and then uses standard valve stems on the wheels.
That's me!

Here's the link to a similar product. The ones I have were from discount tire. No problems after 20,000 miles. JeremieKC is also running these and has had no issues.

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/strapkit.aspx
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
I do not a light unless I get out of range...its pretty far..I've park 20+ miles overnight & not gotten a light.
When that happens I put a business card on the dash.
When I get home & park, it resets overnight by itself.
I have this too. Its time based for mine. After sitting in driveway overnight it resets. On the 20 minute mark from home or (out of range) it will flash for one minute then stay on until i return home and start the cycle all over again.

There are a few threads on this and There is one in particular that explains how to unplug the TPMS ECU. search TPMS in TW forums.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
That's me!

Here's the link to a similar product. The ones I have were from discount tire. No problems after 20,000 miles. JeremieKC is also running these and has had no issues.

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/strapkit.aspx
Thanks for posting the link! Those things are a great idea for aftermarkets. I stuck with stock because I didn't want to lose the sensors since it is a nice feature.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is a Canadain vehicle, pretty sure it doesn't but since I put winter rims and tires on no problem and the summer tires are not stored anywhere near the vehicle.

ahh canada...it very well might be without it then.