Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Taco and I'm already worried. Help please.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Go through a couple tanks, recording your mileage.

Make sure you always fill it all the way to the top.

But yeah, the truck is heavy and the wheels are heavy - so it's sensitive to how you drive. It's got the power to get that 4K lb truck and those big 33" tires spinning, but be aware that doing so burns up those old-dead-decomposed-dinosaurs pretty fast.

Good point to go through a tank or two to see what is up.
plus your driving vs the other person who put the 6500 on...who knows...
doesn't the ecu learn your driving style?

best of luck with your new truck, do not throw in the towel yet...you gotta post up some pics if you can of your new to you truck!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
benq is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior Army Reservist, Amphibious Operator
benq's Tacoma Gallery
newbee here...

Do you have to somehow calibrate your speedometer/speed sensor if you are running bigger/larger tires? Could that be throwing off his gauges?

Also is it possible the previous owner used a chip to change the fuel mix?

My fuel gauge on my '10 DB 4x4 also starts to dip below Full after 20-30 miles

my 2cents
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benq View Post
Also is it possible the previous owner used a chip to change the fuel mix?
nah, toyota keeps their ecu's locked up tighter than a frog's ass

OP, I'd try resetting the ecu and top off the tank and see what happens then.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #24
Rodallg is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Rodallg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
I usually go about 100 miles on the first 1/4 tank in my 2010. Sounds like the gauge or the sensor in the tank is not working correctly. With mixed driving I get about 17 mpg with a lot of highway miles I get around 20.

Sounds like what my 09 is getting, after owning it for less than a month I have been getting 20 - 21 mpg consistently.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #25
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Don't look for it to get much better. If your conecerned about full economy you bought the wrong vehicle bud

exactly....Although the numbers the OP has posted seems a little disproportianate....try filling up a new tank and seeing from there, if still dissatisfied, go out a buy a prius.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #26
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
city driving the gauge starts to move around 20-30 miles. Highway driving I have gone 50-60 miles before the gauge starts below the full line.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #27
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
well, how big are those tame tires? does it also have 5.10 gears? Does it have a hole in a piston? If you're worried, get it checked by someone that knows.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #28
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
MY 09 gets 15-19 in town and 21-22 on the highway. I get 17 with my 10x5x6 cargo trailer loaded with my daughters stuff in it. I have 13000 miles on it
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #29
marcosbullock is on a distinguished road
Name: Marcos
marcosbullock's Tacoma Gallery
I did the math. I'm getting about 10 miles to the gallon. This can't be right.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #30
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting a solid 19.4 to 19.6 on every fill up. Although its all stock there is no way "tame" tires would do that. I would have the stealership check it out. In the meantime try changing the fuel filter. Obviously it sat for a while and may have had condensation built up in the tank or something and its wrecking fuel mileage. I'm used to diesels and this is always the first thing you do so if its not that way with these just call me out
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #31
Banned
toothaker1219 is on a distinguished road
toothaker1219's Tacoma Gallery
whats your height, climate and driving habits like (alot of traffic or piddling around town)? These can all affect your gas mileage.

Let your truck idle, stand behind it and get a whiff of the exhaust, If its real pungent it means your running very rich. Or if you have puff of blue smoke after crank up that could also be a sign that your running a little rich.

Mass air flow sensor wouldn't have anything to do with it? My Tahoe is like that now, but is only messing with the RPMs and a bit of my fuel economy.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #32
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosbullock View Post
I did the math. I'm getting about 10 miles to the gallon. This can't be right.
Exactly...

You are calculating it based on the odometer and not the fuel gauge. Not to be insulting, but I've known people that think the fuel gauge tells them how much gas is in their car. It doesn't.

Now, i did just "fix" a guy's volkswagen fuel mileage problem in another forum. He was diagnosing all over the engine and complaining about the fuel mix in his new home town after driving cross country in his bug. Engine seemed fine.
My guess (mostly because everything else had been diagnosed out)
.. bad wheel bearing...
Tuned out I was right; he had a bad wheel bearing which in turn was causing plenty drag, but it also threw off the rear axle alignment enough where the drum was dragging as well. Was getting less than 20mpg in a bug he claimed usually got 30+
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #33
Me l've got brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothaker1219 View Post
whats your height, climate and driving habits like (alot of traffic or piddling around town)? These can all affect your gas mileage.

Let your truck idle, stand behind it and get a whiff of the exhaust, If its real pungent it means your running very rich. Or if you have puff of blue smoke after crank up that could also be a sign that your running a little rich.

Mass air flow sensor wouldn't have anything to do with it? My Tahoe is like that now, but is only messing with the RPMs and a bit of my fuel economy.
Black smoke should be rich.. and yea, it'll make your eyes water.. blue would be a little leaky valve seal (most likely).

Thing is, most any burning condition that would be coming OUT of the engine should throw a code from the O2 sensor. Though it might not bring up the cel yet. Losing 25-50% of your mileage on a poor mix condition should quite noticeable in driving: noise (knock), smell, response, heat. I guess a stuck VVT could do it.. they used to be prone to failure due to poor oil maintenance.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #34
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Mine fills up past the full mark and doesnt drop below until about 60 miles later. I dont know that doesnt sound right.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #35
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect your battery for a few min to reset the ecu, go through a few tanks while it learns your driving habits, see if that fixes it?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #36
marcosbullock is on a distinguished road
Name: Marcos
marcosbullock's Tacoma Gallery
More details. It's got a 3" spacer lift, 17" wheels, and 265/70/17 Michelin LTX A/S tires. Is this setup my problem?

Resetting the ECU tonight and I'll see if that helps.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #37
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosbullock View Post
More details. It's got a 3" spacer lift, 17" wheels, and 265/70/17 Michelin LTX A/S tires. Is this setup my problem?

Resetting the ECU tonight and I'll see if that helps.
The tires on mine are 265/65-17 from the factory so its not like you are running anything noticably bigger than factory tires. That shouldn't affect it at all
Old 11-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #38
Me l've got brains.

you're sure no one effed with the gears?
I don't know why they would in a pre-runner.. but they could have.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #39
billabong is on a distinguished road

Air Force: ECS/ELECT Spec on Acft F-4,F-15,F-16, B-1,B-2, B-52, Acft Mech on KC-135Q, KC-135R, and T-38A,B,C
Name: Bill
billabong's Tacoma Gallery
Here in Ca, I have tried ARCO gas. I was at a stop light and noticed
the gas gauge dropping. My gas mileage had dropped enough for me to worry to
the point if I was going to make the next town. When I use top tier gas
lasted improved. I use 87octain

Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #40
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
I filled up yesterday and drove 66 miles home on the highway and my fuel gauge is still slightly about the FULL line.