Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Taco and I'm already worried. Help please.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
marcosbullock is on a distinguished road
Name: Marcos
marcosbullock's Tacoma Gallery
Angry New Taco and I'm already worried. Help please.

So I drove 3hrs to Dallas to pick up my new 2009 Tacoma. It's an access cab Prerunner that has a 3" spacer lift and some pretty tame tires. I've been worried though about the gas mileage. In town, I filled it up and drove about 20 miles. The tank is already knocking on 3/4 and I think that there's no way that can be right. Help please because if I'm going to be getting gas mileage that's that absurd I'll be selling that Taco faster than that tank can get to "E".
Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
no way that doesnt sound right at all.
try filling it up again and see what happens?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Probably more than 20 miles
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
mine usually starts to dip after 30 miles, and thats right past the top line.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Don't look for it to get much better. If your conecerned about full economy you bought the wrong vehicle bud
Old 11-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
matt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nice
Law Enforcement: Local LEO
Name: Matt
matt86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
mine usually starts to dip after 30 miles, and thats right past the top line.

Mine is like this. It may not have been filled up all the way. My tacoma takes a while for the guage to start dipping, but dips faster the lower it gets.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Don't look for it to get much better. If your conecerned about full economy you bought the wrong vehicle bud
yeah but the op is looking at 4mpg.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
I know it's not a Prius but I think that less than 10mpg is a bit much. When I fill it up, it stays just about 1mm below full. I took my time and filled it slowly but still it didn't go past the full mark.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
ycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
ycart1201's Tacoma Gallery
mine goes past the full mark... perhaps your guage is going haywire...? Take it to a dealer and have them look at it...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
bpoche is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
bpoche's Tacoma Gallery
go fill it back up and see how much fuel you put in and divide it by your miles.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
A new 2009? Hope you got a deal on it...

Definitely take it back to the dealer and get them to check it out.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
You should easily get 16-19mpg on a tank depending on your drive style. You should also drive through a full tank. Keep track of your miles on the trip meter for the tank, then divide by # of gallons you fill back up.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
A new 2009? Hope you got a deal on it...

Definitely take it back to the dealer and get them to check it out.
6500 miles. New to me.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I usually go about 100 miles on the first 1/4 tank in my 2010. Sounds like the gauge or the sensor in the tank is not working correctly. With mixed driving I get about 17 mpg with a lot of highway miles I get around 20.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
I usually go about 100 miles on the first 1/4 tank in my 2010. Sounds like the gauge or the sensor in the tank is not working correctly. With mixed driving I get about 17 mpg with a lot of highway miles I get around 20.
You must have a really really light foot! I cant get more than 230 miles out of a tank! But im lifted 6" with 10ply 33's lol
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
ycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
ycart1201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMe View Post
I cant get more than 230 miles out of a tank!
same here.

Nathan
ycart1201
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
db2 is on a distinguished road
db2's Tacoma Gallery
I get about 16 MPG on my 2006 Double cab. Like MountainEarth said - drive through the tank and check the actual mileage - the gauge could just be way off...just make sure your mileage is calculated from a topped off tank to another topped off tank...
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Go through a couple tanks, recording your mileage.

Make sure you always fill it all the way to the top.

But yeah, the truck is heavy and the wheels are heavy - so it's sensitive to how you drive. It's got the power to get that 4K lb truck and those big 33" tires spinning, but be aware that doing so burns up those old-dead-decomposed-dinosaurs pretty fast.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285 Duratraks with a 3" lift and on the highway, I get about 17.5 mpg.

2006 AccessCab..4x4

Prior to the lift and tires..maybe 20 MPG. The tires add an error of about 7% to the speedo.

I just bought a 2005 Civic Coupe that gets nearly 40mpg!!! Bought it to keep miles off the truck and mortgaging my house to fill up the truck every other day.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #20
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
With my tank filled to the top, the needle doesn't start to move till about 70-80 miles. I use 93oct and get 18-19mpg on the regular.