1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Fog Light Install - Prewired

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by holeinone604, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    holeinone604

holeinone604 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Sport Black Crew Cab
    Hi all new to this and hoping someone can assit me.

I have an SR5 Tacoma 4L/V6 4x4 and would like to install some OEM plug and play fog lights. I've done some searching and checked my truck, it is pre-wired.

That being said my question is what exactly I will require and the install of the switch/relay.

Install steps (please correct me if I am wrong):

1) Remove outer inserts and pop in/plug in fog lights
    2) Remove top left blank inside and plug in switch

Is that it?
    Not sure if a relay is required/if its already there or what and this is where I start to get lost...

Thanks!

Tacoma48 likes this.
  2. Dec 2, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Is this the wiring for the fogs?

photo2-1_35078a9b3cb8f8deea2e948c57b316b24c354fd1.jpg

I couldn't locate anything behind the top left blank but definitely have the pre wiring for fog lights stored against the body up above where they pop in on the bumper.

If this is in fact the wiring for the fogs does anyone have tips on getting it to work with the three prong rocker style switch pictured below?

switch_a3c8cf6b83ece38e9ec534cd588d68f6c7598f3d.jpg

DistortedAxis likes this.
  3. Dec 2, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I did the same thing- I got stock fogs on ebay($100), the fog light relay on ebay($10) and the stock switch from Toyota (Ouch $70).

Here is the hole after removal of the dust caps. Two prongs on the side of the dust cap go into the holes on the right and left side of the opening. You can gently pry the plastic away from the prongs to allow the dust caps to slide forward and out. (Careful not to scratch the bumper) The hole at the bottom is where the light alignment screw will anchor.
    [​IMG]

Here is the stock Toyota blank coming out of its location on the dash. BTW it is easy to take apart the lower section of the dash for easier access to this opening (2 screws and pull to release a couple of clips). I wrecked the blank trying to get it out and I wish I had it as a spare now to replace a switch I removed later. Much easier to take at least the lower part of the dash off.
    [​IMG]

Here I have temporarily jumped the contacts of the fog light relay opening to test that the lights worked before I got the proper relay. I included this pic to show you the fog light relay location- not implying you should try it unless you are comfortable that you know which contacts to jump. The relay you need is like the light blue ones in the picture ($53 from Toyota) I got one on ebay for $10. Oddly, some of the other light blue relays are much cheaper- I doubt there is any difference other than part number, but can't confirm.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of 2 fog light options- on the left is aftermarket K2 fog lamp- on the right is a stock Toyota fog lamp. Either one is easy to push into the opening in the bumper until the adjuster screw engages its hole and the two prongs snap into place.
    [​IMG]

Here is the link for the fog light relay part# 90080-87026
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f6fb22e4

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 2, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You've got an SR5 and can turn traction control off?!?! I've got an older model and would love to be able to do that!!

Not sure if you've got the fog light wiring there... Mine had fogs in it from the factory and also had that wiring behind the second blank. You might want to check, I think that's something pre-wired for the TRD package (ATRAC or the Rear Locker, I don't know what's in that spot on the TRDs).

5. Dec 2, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I think the wire behind the second hole is for the rear locker- Yeah, my SR5 has wiring behind all three openings as well, but the plugs are different, so you can't mix them up if using stock switch. My Dash is taken apart right now for stereo install- I can take a pic in the morning.

6. Dec 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the detailed update 84Hilux.

Shit I'll keep digging for the fog wires if that one I found in the second blank is for the rear locker.

Is it possible it's there and not affixed to the back of the blank?

If I have the wiring up front for the fogs wouldn't I also have the in cabin wiring for the switch as well?

I prefer the rocker switch to the second gen OEM for some reason. In addition the rocker is significantly cheaper and I plan to wire in some Hellas and want the switches to match. Footing the bill of $50-60 for two OEM push ins is a bit more than I want to spend.

Thanks for the link to the relay I did buy that same one off Ebay. F'in dealer wanted $133 for same part number relay!

So any tips on how I can find the fog switch wiring in the cab since it wasn't on the back of the first blank? I know it's not the end of the world but definately was a bit of a let down when I popped it out and it was not there. My hope is i just missed it somewhere back there as it was quite dark when I was working on it last night.

Also providing I have it and can find it any tips on moding it to work on three pin rocker switch?

Thanks to all!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Here is the pics I promised- the 4 wire plug is for the fogs the others (Locker or Power Inverter) have more wires. It looks like you have the right plug in your pictures. The blue plug is for the dash dimmer potentiometer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white/black wire in hole #4 is ground and the Blue wire (Hole #3) is Power from the relay. I tried it- when shorting between these 2 and headlights are on, fogs come on. The green and green/black wires are for the switch illumination. If your illumination is just a bulb, polarity probably does not matter. If LED you must get polarity of the green wires correct or the LED won't light.

DistortedAxis likes this.
  8. Dec 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Nevermind

9. Dec 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Since you are using a 3 prong switch, it probably uses a common ground for the illumination and switching the relay. This makes it a bit more tricky, since obviously you have 4 wires to deal with. You don't want to short out your dash illumination while mucking about. There are some schematics available for 2007 Tacomas on the TTORA forum. The fog light wiring is the same on all Second Gens as far as I know. I might be able to figure out a wiring solution for you, but need to know more about how your switch is configured. Or maybe someone else has done this and wants to chime in?

BTW- are you in 604 area code? I am in Surrey if you are close by.

10. Dec 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Yep in the 604.
    Coquitlam for me.

So just using three of the four wires won't cut it?

11. Dec 3, 2010 at 2:43 AM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    I just looked at schematic for the dash wiring- The green is the more positive of the dash illumination wires and the green/white is the more negative. They look to be wired in parallel across the dash dimmer potentiometer. it is hard to say if the negative side can be considered ground (the schematic does not show how the dimmer pot is wired). Since my dimmer assembly is on my living room table right now, I will see if I can figure it out with multimeter.

Need to know about your switch- I assume it is single bulb- do you want it to turn on when fog lights are switched on or do you want it to be on with the dimmable illumination like the other dash switches? Can you give me the make and model? I might be able to look up the switch info.

BTW- there is another thread right now about wiring up 5 terminal switch for the fog lights- you might want to check it out.

12. Dec 3, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If it helps, the factory switch is always illuminated. The 4th connection is for the light within the switch, the other 3 are wired like any standard 3-prong switch. Your safest way to figure it out is using a multi-meter and/or a test light. If you still need help tonight I can take a picture of how my factory fogs were wired and how we wired up auxiliary lights to a factory switch.

13. Dec 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    The switch I'm using is Toyota OEM p/n: 00550-35976 (the rocker style switch with single bulb I think it's just single bulb). I believe it's only supposed to be illuminated when switched on. It has three prongs on ghe back and I believe was the stock OEM switch on first gen Tacoma, older 4Runner etc. Hope this helps.

I am just wanting the switch to be illuminated when it's turned on. Other than that I am not to concernd if it is illuminated or not.

Thanks for all the follow-up.

Here is a pic of the switch I want yo use:

switch_a3c8cf6b83ece38e9ec534cd588d68f6c7598f3d.jpg

14. Dec 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    I looked this up online- others have said middle terminal is hot,top is ground,bottom is power to the relay. But, in your case I think you are sinking the current from the relay- the schematic shows the blue wire is the negative side of the relay. Not sure yet if the described wiring will work in this case. I'll keep digging.

15. Dec 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    I know.
    My cheapness combined with my desire to have to matching switches (hellas behind grill to follow) has run me this direction. If things dont start looking brighter (literally) I will likely be caving and going 2nd Gen OEM.

Given I want the switches to match would I be better off to go with two 2nd Gen OEM switches?
    ie. would it be easier to wire the Hellas to a 2nd Gen OEM push button switch than reconfigure the stock wiring to work with the three prong rocker switch?

16. Dec 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Weird the wiring behind the second blank for me was the fog wiring. The first blank had nothing and the third blank had some other wiring component behind it. Below picture of the wiring in my truck and the blank section in which it was contained. I know I could search but anyone off hand know what the wiring and harness in the third blank of this picture is?

pic10_53f614799f54b60e2f95e0ad9cb4023a059e3abc.jpg

17. Dec 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    comiesutra

comiesutra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Greenwood, IN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4X4 Silver AC SR5 Manual
    MonsterKnobs.com shift knob, Sony MEX-BT3900u
    i read somewhere on here that the FJ switches plug right in just like that tacomas and run between 35 and 40 from the dealer. i will look and see if i can find it. i even think that they are illuminated like you want.

found this, it's newer -
    i will keep looking

here's the thread that i was thinking of

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/120120-wanted-fog-light-switch.html

18. Dec 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, that is the switch I am trying to run but it has three prongs on te back and is not compatable with the factory fog wiring harness on the 2nd Gen Taco.

19. Dec 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    beckleyota

beckleyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    wv
    Vehicle:
    o7 taco
    vent visors,tint,kenwood headunit, trex eyelids,kenwood componants,5100's,1 aal,cabellas seatcovers,painted stereo suround
    woud an 07 sr5 axcesscab 4cyl have the wires there alredy

20. Dec 4, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    holeinone604

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    No I don't think you have them. Lie under the front of your truck and look straight up between engine and bumper. If it's pre wired you should see the wires for the fog lights tied off above and in line with where they mount on bumper. Or pull out the top blanks in the cabin. If it's pre wired the first or second slot should contain the bundle of wires and harness pictured above.

TacomaEd15 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top