Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
khfactor is on a distinguished road

khfactor's Tacoma Gallery
Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover

Any one have any experience or feedback that you want to share? It is priced at $749.00 with free shipping from AutoAnything now, but before I commit to clicking that butoon, I would like to hear pros and cons.

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
mgaudet7 is on a distinguished road
mgaudet7's Tacoma Gallery
Ya definately, i haven't bought my tonneau cover yet so id love to see some pics before i do
Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
PwRTRIp_Xr is on a distinguished road
PwRTRIp_Xr's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my Extang Revolution Tonno...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Wow! i want one! give me more info, where did you get it? Do you have to remove the bed rails? How much??
Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Well i bought it at a place call aloha toppers here in hawaii they are the distributor for extang..... And i got them for $560 w/install, bcs my friend knows the mngr of this place....

Also once you set the rails where you like it, its not nec to remove the rails to roll or even completely take the cover off...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
cool, im gonna have to see if i can get one in canada, i really like how that looks
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaudet7 View Post
cool, im gonna have to see if i can get one in canada, i really like how that looks
Cool, Good luck bro...
Old 07-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #8

Question Extang Revolution Tonno...

While I appreciates the photos of the Revolution Tonno.... I am looking for some feedback on the "SOLID (hardback)" version of the EXTANG Trifecta three-folds.

It is a solid plastic pieces and I have not heard anyone yet owning this one yet. Perhaps this is a new product from Extang? It is pricey and hence I am looking for some feedback before I order it on-line.

If I was going to order the soft kind, I would definitely consider the Revolution Tonno or the Trifecta soft version, but since I am considering the hard cover version, I really would appreciate any feedback....

Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
love the top but the rainbow license plate sure not my thing!!
if i want a rainbow I'll get a bag of skittles!!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfactor View Post
Any one have any experience or feedback that you want to share? It is priced at $749.00 with free shipping from AutoAnything now, but before I commit to clicking that butoon, I would like to hear pros and cons.

Thanks,
Extang Solid Fold Pics

PROS:
This top Rocks! It is so easy to install and take off. It takes a little while longer to put back on, about 5 min, because lining it up right. when folded up it looks like you have a black tool box sitting behind the cab. Folded over just once it is the ultimate tailgating upgrade, you can sit 2 or 3 more people up there. This thing is rock solid, I like it alot.
CONS:
Really not many but if we're being picky storing it when taking it off, can sometime be hard to find a spot to put it. Also if you want to haul an ATV of something like it you have to take it off versus the extra space you can have with a role up tonneau allowing you to keep the top installed.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #11

Hey Dark Knight,

Thanks for the photos. They look great!!

Will all three leaf-panels open up like the BAKFLIP variety? How do they stay up once you open up all three panels (if you can open up all three, that is...). Strap? Velcro? etc..

Any drilling for water weep hole? Is the mounting pretty secure? How is it with the rain, any leak ??

Any UV fading effects on the color? Scratch-ability?

And finally, what did you pay for it, if you do not mind disclosing the info...

Thanks.... Once I gather more info then I can make an educated decision to either go the SOLID route of revert back to the SOFT variety..
Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #12
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfactor View Post
Hey Dark Knight,

Thanks for the photos. They look great!!

Will all three leaf-panels open up like the BAKFLIP variety? How do they stay up once you open up all three panels (if you can open up all three, that is...). Strap? Velcro? etc..

Any drilling for water weep hole? Is the mounting pretty secure? How is it with the rain, any leak ??

Any UV fading effects on the color? Scratch-ability?

And finally, what did you pay for it, if you do not mind disclosing the info...

Thanks.... Once I gather more info then I can make an educated decision to either go the SOLID route of revert back to the SOFT variety..
Unlike the BakFlip all three panels do not lift up against the back of the cab. when folded up the three panels are snap strapped to the front edge of the tonneau.
NO DRILLING on the Extang. This is because the Solid Fold sits on top of the bed (only about 1" thick) and is sealed all the way around. My top does not leak but i have not taken it through a high pressure car wash because i always wash it by hand.
Another Good thing about The Extang, Since it does sit on top of the bed, the rail system with the movable tie-downs can stay in use, not so on many of the other tonneau covers for the 05-08 Tacoma. The mounting is secure http://www.extang.com/pdf/install/01...ld_install.pdf
UV fading is not an issue, the top has a textured pattern that looks to be powder coated, can be scratched, but not easily or very noticeable when done. Oh and think of this. With a solid top you basically have a huge work bench when out in the field working on something, it is handy more then you think before its actually there to use.
As for price, It was a gift. $749 looks to be the going price. Good luck
Old 07-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #13

One more thing I forgot to ask, is it lockable???
If I may impose on you for one more photo, do you have a photo of how the latch is hooked onto the Rail under neath the cover?

Thanks a million and I am leaning more and more toward the SOLID COVER if it can be locked.....
Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #14
East Bound and Down

The cover itself does not have a lock. many people use a pop-n-lock. http://popandlock.net/
PN: PL5200 Toyota Tacoma 05 & up $ 54.10
I don't think any have locks unless you get a fiberglass one. Ill get a photo of how it hooks to the rail as soon as it quits raining here in Tennessee
Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
The cover itself does not have a lock. many people use a pop-n-lock. http://popandlock.net/
PN: PL5200 Toyota Tacoma 05 & up $ 54.10
I don't think any have locks unless you get a fiberglass one. Ill get a photo of how it hooks to the rail as soon as it quits raining here in Tennessee
that cover its cool man....i want one of that or a retractile....
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #17

Fantastic !!

With only 4 corners being spring clamped to the side rails (2 on each side), are they sturdy & rigid enough?

I am also concerned about "tampering" if I decide to store my power tools under the cover.

Thanks for your prompt replies and photos......
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
East Bound and Down

Only the back two (tail gait end) clamps/hooks are spring loaded, with a good strong spring. The front two are stationary T style wing nut type. everything tightens down real nice. With that Pop Lock on the tail gait theres not much tampering that could be done with out way to much effort for lazy thieves. With this sturdy top "outa sight outa mind" is kinda how i look at it
Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #19
taitem is on a distinguished road
taitem's Tacoma Gallery
Extang Solid Fold

Dark Knight -
Thanks for posting the photos. I too am interested in the Solid Fold.

Few questions - How much would you guess the cover weighs? Easy enough to remove with one person? Also, how much clearance do you have under the cover to the bed bottom? I want to make sure the cooler fits under it for tailgating...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 AM   #20
East Bound and Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitem View Post
Dark Knight -
Thanks for posting the photos. I too am interested in the Solid Fold.

Few questions - How much would you guess the cover weighs? Easy enough to remove with one person? Also, how much clearance do you have under the cover to the bed bottom? I want to make sure the cooler fits under it for tailgating...
The whole top only weighs about 45lbs and is very easily removed by one person. The clearance is not much above the top of the bed rails so if you can put that cooler in the bed and it does not stick out above the top of the rails your gona be fine. My 5 day cooler with wheels will fit if i take the handle off.

Products Discussed in this Thread