1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scary starter noise.... + Need opinion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shemicals, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 at 12:12 AM
    Shemicals

Shemicals [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Black Sand Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    Build Page
    So i was recently offroading and went through a deep deep puddle a few times. over the hoodline in water. everything is fine except now... sometimes when i turn the key there is a pause or a click noise and then it starts or sounds like a cough before starting... any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

also while installing my fogs i accidently pulled one of my leds (the passenger side eyebrow) out. the thing is sealed and im not going to open it to reattach it. im simply unhooking the eyebrow on that side and the opposite side. I want to know if you guys think it looks better without the eyebrow anyway otherwise i am now selling these things for the first good offer i get.

IMG_0629_a8282e28e16ca8015a068cc9b3ea3230ca665dcd.jpg

notice the eyebrow (yellow) is not on on the passenger side...

2. Nov 7, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    My starter was doing the same thing, where it didn't always want to turn. So long story short toyota replaced it (thank god I have the extended warranty) and the problem when away.

You could probably just clean the terminals inside of the starter (if thats possible.)

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Check the connections at both the starter and their opposite ends. They may have corroded or something. I assume what you're hearing is the solenoid not quite engaging.. pop spin click start cycle fails, continue to spin. aka paskaeee... aka cough. Usually a sign that the connections are poor or the solenoid is weak or fouled. When the starter motor teeth start to engage the amps involved overload a loose connection burning it causing an open circuit. A few more times, it warms up or just shakes enough to make a connection and start. I had a loose connection like that once.. eventually the eye arced through the bolt and fell off.

Or, you may have corrosion or fouling of your starter solenoid. The shaft could be impeded by something. Which would mean removing the starter and cleaning it or possibly replacing it if you could never get it working. Not a big deal but there is a core price if you're doing it yourself.. I've started the car, removed the starter, then brought it to the store, left it idling, exchanged the starter and installed it by the side of the road, to avoid making two trips when I only hAd 1 vehicle.

If its more of a buzzy clicky thing, it might be a starter relay fouled and buzzing. It might dry out and be fine.. it might not.

With all the electronics involved with the start cycle though, there might be another culprit. But I imagine its low amps to the starter or the solenoid is knackered.

There's a couple worst case scenarios, but it should be a physically "busted starter solenoid" in some manner.

As for the headlights... you don't want my opinion...

4. Nov 7, 2010 at 12:53 AM
    Shemicals

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    Build Page
    i have no idea what the starter looks like or the solenoid. can you give me a reference, picture, or description/location

5. Nov 7, 2010 at 1:11 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    no.. but google can.. "tacoma starter"... Its on the bell housing.

6. Nov 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I think it looks better without the eyebrow anyway. Just unplug the other one and your good. :)

7. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    Shemicals

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    Build Page
    BTW to anyone who searches this and wants an answer to what the problem was....

The solenoid had collected water and died.... My truck was rendered immobile in my driveway and we hit the starter with a hammer while turning the key and got a last stand of life... just enough juice to drive it to the delearship... Not a cheap visit :)

8. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    bwilson624

bwilson624 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Marion, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OR
    Fog light mod, bed lights, led dome and maps, ABS/VSC mod, turn signal mod, led lights in console and glove box, Sockmonkey Trd decal, blacked out badges, tinted tails
    Bummer. That sucks man. But for future reference a starter is really easy to rebuild. There isn't that much to them

Products Discussed in

To Top