1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Install a Step Hitch w/no tow package...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dessertsand05, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    I do a lot of running and outdoor stuff where I can't have a key on me. I looked at the hitch safe and it was perfect. I didn't want to add a $150 hitch just for this as I won't be towing anything. I went to the local harbor Freight and picked up this.....

It the holes line ip Ok, but didn't come with any hardware and it doesn't fit with the plastic bumper cover. The plastic pfrevents it from sitting flush.

Any idea where I can get hardware for this?

On the OEM ones what happenes to the plastic trim on the bumper?

I saw one hitch that wouldn't fit had some square blocks (washers), was this for rust proofing or for spacing?

Need to get this installed and all the local auto zones and chain part places have no idea.......they even sent me to home depot :)

2. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    What's wrong with Home Depot or Lowes? All you need is two bolts, nuts and some washers.

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    Thanks...

Nothing wrong with Home Depot, just figured someone at Autozone or an auto parts store would have more of an idea and have the larger bolts needed.

Also I thought that the square blocks that came with the other hitch that didn't fit were made of a different matrial that would rust first.

I hate to do it, but I guess its trimming time for plastic trim on the bumper, just can't see paying a ton on a heavy duty OEM hitch I probably will never use. All I am looking for is a safe secur place to store an extra key. That hitch safe seems like an awesome idea.

4. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Try a small hardware store. The guys that work there will be more inclined to help you vs big box stores. They know what they've got in stock and you could probably get them to come outside, look at what you're trying to mount and how you want it to look and set you up with the hardware you need. There are a lot of ACE hardware's around here that are decent enough (I see you're generally in the same location as me).

Products Discussed in

To Top