1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody Test Drive a 2011 2.7 4x4 auto AND manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tunngavik, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 10, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I'm speechless.

2. Nov 10, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Yep, I'm still speechless.

3. Nov 10, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Actually, I thought of something to say. You're probably using the Toyata "build your own" configurator, and I noticed when I was shopping a couple things:

1. They drastically reduced the number of std cab 4x4 configurations in 2011. In fact they said as much in a press release.

2. After they made the change, the toyota.com configurator acted weird if you tried to select a std cab 4x4 5sp. I figure it's just a bug. But make no mistake, you can still order up a std cab 4x4 5sp this year.

Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC and to the OP's original question - no one can tell you what you want to know. "Does this car have ENOUGH power" is an intensely personal question. My personal judgement for "enough" used to be that a car needed to be able to accelerate from 80mph to 90mph while going up a fairly steep hill.

I'm not as much of a leadfoot as I used to be, and I'm pretty sure my 4 banger Taco can't meet that standard.

But, assuming you're willing to keep shifting to keep the engine in the powerband, an auto will always feel a little more sluggish than a manual. Conversely, if you're a "reluctant shifter" an auto will tend to feel more lively than a stick, since an auto won't lug the engine.

You're just gonna have to find one, and spend a little time behind the wheel.

4. Nov 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    eileenwilson

eileenwilson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Black 4X4
    Bed Extender
    Hello,

I'm new here.

I'm in the midst of buying a 2011 Tacoma now. I had one in 2002 but in 2004 traded it in for a full size Chevy...I've regretted my decision ever since.:(

Anyways, I'm looking for a 4x4 Access Cab V6 MT and MAN is it hard to find! I'm getting the Off Road Package/Tow Package too, so maybe that's why.

But, I got to test drive the manual 4cyl (my old taco was 4cyl manual too) and drove a 6cyl Auto.

I still want the MT because I love the feel of driving a stick :)

Anyways, anyone have or test driven the v6 w/ the 6 speed mt?

Also, apparently the exact truck I want is in Southern Cali, someone said he can get it for me but I'm still waiting to hear. He didnt mention any shipping charges .... will there be?? :confused:

5. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    river rat

river rat Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '11 Timberland Mica regular cab.
    Just discovered this old thread. No point in any comments from me at this point, but I will anyway: I owned an '07, 5 speed manual, and currently an '11, 4 speed auto. Both 2.7 liter standard cab 4x4. The manual was faster 0-60 but not by much.
    If I wanted to get to 60 faster, I'd have bought a sporty car. But my little truck goes where the car can't even go and carries more stuff...so I win.

Products Discussed in

To Top