LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Too much antifreeze ?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Too much antifreeze ?

I took a gal of antifreeze out of the radiator but couldn't get a full gal back in. I ran it to work, let it cool and got a little more in but still have little left. Should I be at all concerned ? Thanks. Curious George.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Did you run it with the heater on and the cap off?
No. With the heater on and the cap on, going to work. If I ran it with the cap off the antifreeze would fly all over the place. Maybe I'm missing your point.
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
No. With the heater on and the cap on, going to work. If I ran it with the cap off the antifreeze would fly all over the place. Maybe I'm missing your point.
Thanks.
Well, that will happen if you don't put the cap back on.

I always run mine without the cap on and heater on and after a few minutes, I can put more fluid in until the fluid keeps going down. Now when it's full and it starts to overflow, time to put the cap back on.

Putting the cap back on and running it traps air in the system.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Well, that will happen if you don't put the cap back on.

I always run mine without the cap on and heater on and after a few minutes, I can put more fluid in until the fluid keeps going down. Now when it's full and it starts to overflow, time to put the cap back on.

Putting the cap back on and running it traps air in the system.
Thanks. I'll give that a try in the driveway.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like you have to 'BURP' the system to get the air bubbles out.

Basically, radiator cap off.... let vehicle idle long enough until it gets hot enough to open up the thermostat. You can actually touch the big radiator hose near the engine and feel the fluid cycling. At this point, watch the fluid at the radiator cap and it'll probably drop. Hopefully you've got enough in there that it won't drop down too much. Add more fluid. Continue to watch... The system will cycle the fluid and the air bubble shoud eventually work themselves out.

Search www.google on 'burping the coolant' - should be lots of info out there.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
It sounds like you have to 'BURP' the system to get the air bubbles out.

Basically, radiator cap off.... let vehicle idle long enough until it gets hot enough to open up the thermostat. You can actually touch the big radiator hose near the engine and feel the fluid cycling. At this point, watch the fluid at the radiator cap and it'll probably drop. Hopefully you've got enough in there that it won't drop down too much. Add more fluid. Continue to watch... The system will cycle the fluid and the air bubble shoud eventually work themselves out.

Search www.google on 'burping the coolant' - should be lots of info out there.
Thanks Jandy for the details. Appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
BH15001 will become famous soon enough
BH15001's Tacoma Gallery
Do what Janster said and also have the truck parked facing up hill while you are burping.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH15001 View Post
Do what Janster said and also have the truck parked facing up hill while you are burping.
Thanks. I didn't get anything when I tried burping it so I just put the extra in the overflow tank. No problems so far.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
thats actually what the over flow tank is for. If the coolant in the system gets low, it SHOULD pull it from the over flow tank, back into the system, and vice versa..If the coolant is to much, it SHOULD spew off into the over flow tank.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Thanks. I didn't get anything when I tried burping it so I just put the extra in the overflow tank. No problems so far.
if it's just a overflow tank, none will go back in,, and I think those systems are a partial recovery, but not a full recovery. you might want to still keep a eye on the level for a bit, pack that jug with you. you still might have a big air pocket trapped somewhere.

Next thermostat change, drill a small 1/8" hole in the flanged area of the thermostat. The open area flange part needs to touch coolant so the drilled hole can burp the system as you refill. this trick allow complete block fillage, and allows any possbily trapped air pockets to purge out quickly. it wont affect anything except getting the air pockets out.

once you the drill the thermostat, whatever you take out, will go back in.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
if it's just a overflow tank, none will go back in,, and I think those systems are a partial recovery, but not a full recovery. you might want to still keep a eye on the level for a bit, pack that jug with you. you still might have a big air pocket trapped somewhere.

Next thermostat change, drill a small 1/8" hole in the flanged area of the thermostat. The open area flange part needs to touch coolant so the drilled hole can burp the system as you refill. this trick allow complete block fillage, and allows any possbily trapped air pockets to purge out quickly. it wont affect anything except getting the air pockets out.

once you the drill the thermostat, whatever you take out, will go back in.
That's a new one on me. Learn something every day or at least try to.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
this a 50/50 mix? or do you still need to get water in?