1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

someone hit me on the way home - and took off!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jimker55, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    jimker55

jimker55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco
    Driving home today and someone hits me from behind. the damage was maybe the size of a fist so I told him we should get out of the road and pull off into a parking lot. I did that and he took off!!! Luckily I found him snaking his way through a parking lot and when he realized I was following him he pulled into another parking lot...the dumbass picked a parking lot that had a cop in it already. I get out of the truck and I say "you think you were going to get away from me?" his response was I thought you were following me - yeah right thats why you were cutting and weaving through parking lots. Anyway, I walk up to the cop and she says she cant do anything becuase there isn't much damage and proceeds to fill out an incident report. what should I do? contact his Ins company or just let it go. If he pulled in the first lot, where I did, I probably would have said don't worry about....he was a young guy with his girlfriend BUT then it he made me mad!!

2. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    Fuck him!

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    Ptowntaco

Ptowntaco Camburg :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Petaluma Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    Tint, Socked, Deck Plate mod, Camburg 2.5 coils, Camburg UCA, 5100's in the rear, Custom Deaver leaf pack, Micky Thomson Classic Locks, BFG KM2, CB
    Do you have pics of the dent or where you where hit? thats messed up the cop said she could not so anything?:confused:

4. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    That sux .. To bad the cop was their .. I would have handed him a beat down And let his girl watch

5. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    jimker55

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco
    I'll take a pic in the morning. Its on the bumper. I was so mad so its probably good the cop was there.

6. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Make him pay. Especially since you have a police report and he can't just try and disappear again. Assholes like that make insurance rates for everyone go up. Karma's a bitch.

That's just nasty :eek:

7. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Contact his ins & Get u a new bumper

8. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Sorry to hear about this, what does she mean she can't do anything about it? Little bastard hit and ran, maybe it depends on the amount of damage?

I would try to contact his insurance company or yours. But if the rates go up you might as well not get it replaced, and it would be a good excuse to get a metal bumper.

9. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    How far did he get before you caught up with him...I mean wouldn't that be considered fleeing the scene or something?

10. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    jimker55

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco
    he got about 1 mile away.

11. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    I'm surprised the police officer didnt react more to the fact that he fled and you managed to chase him down. I'd hammer this guy for every little thing no matter how small the damage, based on principle alone.

12. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    ya fuck him. make him pay to get it fixed. insurance.

13. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    Redfish

Redfish Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am not familiar with the laws in AZ but in most states a hit and run is also known as leaving the scene of an accident which is a serious offence regardless of the amount of property damage. I did a quick search on your states legislature and found that failure to stop and comply is considered a class 2 misdemeanor and can result in the suspension of driving privileges for one year. What the police officer failed to realize is regardless of the physical damage to your vehicle you could also have medical injuries so the comment regarding not enough damages has no merit. I would not let this go and seek further clarification of your state laws. So you were the victim of a hit and run and had the misfortune of a police officer who did not do you justice. A phone call to the sheriff’s office would be the first step. Good luck.

28-662. Accidents involving damage to vehicle; failure to stop; classification; driver license suspension
    A. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:
    1. Immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the accident scene as possible but shall immediately return to the accident scene.
    2. Remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of section 28-663.
    3. Make the stop without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.
    B. A person failing to stop or comply with this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.
    C. A court may order the department to suspend the license or permit to drive and any nonresident operating privilege of a person convicted under this section for one year.

14. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Try explaining to the potential future buyer of your truck that "eh, it was just some kid, I'll lower the price..."

It's not the dent, it's the lost value you're recouping. At least take the insurance check so that when you're going through the drop-down tabs on Kelley Blue Book you'll be OK with selecting the "not in perfect condition" tab.

15. Nov 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    what a lazy ass cop

16. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    File a formal complaint against the cop for sure. We can't tolerate this.

Then, nail the guys insurance company for everything HARD. Be demanding on tyhe rental.

Oh, and last but not least, find out where the guy lives and beat him to near death.

RZ Rob

17. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    Redfish

Redfish Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think if you had called the police rather than running into one in the parking lot would had resulted in your experience being very different. Next time call the police and have an officer dispatched. The officer could have been off duty or just didnt feel like the extra paperwork for the hit and run.

Typical hit and run drivers dont have valid insurance which is also a misdemeanor in most states. Most also have something to hide or have a warrant, in most states the hit and run is lawfull contact which can allow the officer to search the vehicle and do a warrant check.

18. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Go after his worthless as to the fullest extent of the law. I hate assholes like that.

19. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Hipster

Hipster Nothing beats a Butter Shave..

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC trd 4x4
    Billy's @ .85 w/ Eibachs front, TSB w/ 5100's rear + 1.5" AAL & shims, Debadged, Avid Bolt On Sliders, NFab Light Bar w/ (2) Lightforce 170's. Weathertechs, ATO bed bars.
    Go get him...

20. Nov 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    I would contact his insurance co. and also contact your insurance co. As long as you have the police report, your insurance co. will try to collect from the other driver's insurance co. I think it's favorable the other driver's insurance co. will pay the claim because of the police report.

Products Discussed in

To Top