Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Smoker's in-cabin air filter, WARNING: these images are disturbing

Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That filter is one of the oder absorbing filters impregnated with charcoal. I use those in my Wifes car.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #22
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
Only outside air goes thu the filter. It gets bypassed on recirc......
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRON View Post
Only outside air goes thu the filter. It gets bypassed on recirc......
Are you sure? The filter is like half an inch above the fan. Not enough room for another inlet in between.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
You can actually reuse your filter a couple of times if you clean them right. I cleaned mine for the first time a few months ago and its still holding up real well.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #25
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Are you sure? The filter is like half an inch above the fan. Not enough room for another inlet in between.
Damnit, you made me go look..... You're right, the recirc door is above the filter. I just had the plastic cover under the wipers off on a customers 06 Prerunner the other day to clean the drains and remembered looking straight down at the filter.... completely spaced on the door being there....
Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
You can actually reuse your filter a couple of times if you clean them right. I cleaned mine for the first time a few months ago and its still holding up real well.

heck they're only $12 i'll just be buying a new one again when this one gets dirty
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #27
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseyarnell View Post
OK maybe I'm being dramatic, but I finally got around to changing out my in cabin air filter, and WOW. I bought the truck used with 65K, and loved everything about it, except that the guy smoked in it. Well I did eventually get the smoke smell out, but this is amazing. I could be wrong, maybe this is what everyone's filter would look like eventually. Opinions?

Think youll find smoker ac filter is yellow brown... Thats just the typical mold... Someone likes recirc
Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #28
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
I have replaced my cabin filter twice now and I have 21K on my taco. Both times the filter looked pretty nasty and they come snow white. I only run my fan on fresh air and never recirculate. prob why it get so dirty. i have had to pull out leaves and sticks 2. thinking of putting some mesh up there. I found a few that are scented with carbon online. The cheap filter is like $20 at the auto parts store which is 2x the price of my engine air filter and its like half the size. BS. My Advice change your air filter its easy easy easy. at least on an 09 i heard the older models are kind of a pain. And whats with every oil change place and shop, they all tell me I dont have one. Idiots if I dont why can I pull it out in less than 1min.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #29
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
do you guys think i should turn the air system to recirculate before turning off my truck to close the door and keep crap outa the filter??

thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #30
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseyarnell View Post
thanks for posting that pic, Quaker. you are absolutely correct. well i'm glad i got the right filter in there this time at least. sorry for freaking everyone out. BUT, you still shouldn't smoke in your tacoma, because i might buy it someday and it stinks, plus there's the whole terrible slow painful death by lung cancer thing. ok.
That's probably the original filter.....
That filter is exposed to the outside air and filters the outside air coming in. I'm not sure (and doubtful) that is filters the air while its inside (on recirculate mode). So, the smoke probably didn't come in contact with it.

My filter starts to get discolored & nasty after only 10K miles. I have two filters that I rotate/wash (about once a year). After about the 2nd wash, they start to fall apart and have to buy new ones.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #31
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a charcoal filter to me. i use fram freshbreeze in my truck, they are grey/black when new. #CF10374 i get them through my work for about $7 a piece.

specs and handy cross references...
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetai...b=F&pn=CF10374
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #32
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckn4life View Post
do you guys think i should turn the air system to recirculate before turning off my truck to close the door and keep crap outa the filter??

thanks
The opposite. The crap grows in the filter. There are screens to keep things out of your heater box. You, if you're paranoid (you have the filter for a reason) should not run the A/C ever... If you do. never put it on recirc... if you do, make sure you turn off your a/c compressor and put the selector on fresh and try to dry out the heater box. If you are going to store the car, you can try to keep mice out by putting it on recirculate, but you may find them in the heater box, they probably didn't enter the car through the hood vents, unless they chewed in there.

The little weep hole is frequently obstructed by algae or other debris and will not weep out all the water, much less dry out your evaporator. Its just like your house, cept in your house, the fan runs (if you have a digital stat anyway) after the compressor kicks off to try to warm up the coil and dry it off. (you do get your coil cleaned don't you, and your house is always on "recirculate")

When you get in a car and turn on the fan to find it smells like a basement. Its because you had the A/C on last time you shut down, and its dirty enough to grow stuff in there. What you smell is mildew. The filter is in there because all the urban dwellers have allergies from their horrible lives in the city. Same as the mold inspectors and hepa filter vacuums etc. Just for the sick and disabled.

I say that especially, since, in my experience, all the cabin filters are just that. They aren't A/C filters (protecting the a/c from clogging) but filtering the air POST conditioning. In my building, since I have a bunch of whiners, and some legitimately lung and immune system disabled, I have filters on the return air and (since I exchange fresh) the incoming air as well.

Of course many factors can affect a/c filters and affect the way a/c works. There is no one set formula to make a system function best in every situation. But a DRY condensate pan is a happy condensate pan. My old toyota actually used to blow fog when I turned on the A/C it was so humid in the ducts if shut down with A/C on.