1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Room in the Backseat of DoubleCab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2000GM, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Apr 13, 2007 at 4:58 AM
    2000GM

2000GM [OP] Member

Member:
    As an offshoot of the other thread about baby seats, I was wondering just how roomy the rear seat is. I test drive a DC tomorrow and unfortunately my wife and boys will be leaving in the morning to visit her dad for the week. So I will not have my 5 and 8 year olds with me to put back there.

Does anybody who regularly (2-3 short trips a week, a couple of long trips per year) had kids in theirs have any complaints? I know it will be several inches narrower than my current full-size Ram quad cab, but hopefully legroom will be about the same or better. My wife and I are both about 5'9 so we usually have our seats about 3/4 of the way back. I actually sit rather upright, so even in my Ram I only have the seat one click up from fully back, with the seatback as full-upright as it goes.

scottalot likes this.
  2. Apr 13, 2007 at 6:19 AM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    I have no problems what so ever carring people in my backseat.. I sometime haul 5 people in my truck and some of them are NOT so skinny.. and it works just fine.. I actually have more room in the backseat of my truck than I did in my Acura TL. No one ever liked riding in the backseat of my Acura.. Plus I think they sit up a little higher in the back seat also.. I've only sat back there a couple of times and if I was going to be a passenger in my Taco I would lover to ride back there.. Great Views! and the windows go all the way down..
    Kids should really be no problem at all sitting back there. Think you'll be pleased with the DC!
    Good luck with your test drive.. and don't fall in love to hard! hehehehe..

3. Apr 13, 2007 at 8:01 AM
    kngharley

kngharley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca
    I have an 07 d/c sport. I have two kids, an 11 year old and a 17 year old. They go with me everywhere. We drove to San Diego this past Tuesday with no complaints. My wife often rides in the back if the kids call "shot gun" and she doesn't mind at all. Hope this helps ya

4. Apr 13, 2007 at 8:31 AM
    2000GM

2000GM [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. It's just tough looking at some of the pics in classifieds and what not, because sometimes it looks like there's less room there than others. I'm still not 100% convinced I'll be satisfied going from a full size extended cab to the Taco and to make it worse a local Ford dealer has been sending me rather attractive quotes on F-150s, which I've had before and loved and had good luck with. If I could afford a brand new Tundra outfitted how I want or find a leftover '06 (yeah, right!) I'd go with that.

5. Apr 13, 2007 at 9:16 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Just be sure to check out the back seats yourself. I tried the back seat of one and I fit but I wouldn't want too ride there for a long time, but then again I'm 6'4" and haven't found too many back seats that are comfortable for me except old Buicks and Caddies. At 5'9" you should fit comfortably.

6. Apr 13, 2007 at 3:35 PM
    Duckman

Duckman n00b Extordinaire

Member:
    Somewhere on the River
    Vehicle:
    17 White TRD ORDC TECH 4X4
    I am 6'1" 220 and I can set the driver seat where I typically put it and I can fit in the passenger seat behind it with no problem. The back seats have a great angle to them unlike weird angle the Dodges have. I have plenty of head room and I have no problem comfortably sitting back there. You will appreciate what Toyo has done if you go sit in a dbl cab Nissan. To me, besides loving Toyo's, it's dbl cab has to the most comfortable.

7. Apr 14, 2007 at 4:59 PM
    midV6size

midV6size Active Member

Member:
    I recently went to a sportsman show that was sponserd by Toyota, and they had several Tundra and Tacoma's there on display. I sat in the back of a Tacoma double cab while I was there just to check first hand on the head room in that truck. Well at 6'-0" and 255 lbs, it wasn't a comfortable fit height wise!! My head was brushing the ceiling!!! If you talking about kids or much shorter people, your not going to have any problems. Frankly, I was a little disappointed by the outcome. Now I'm leaning with the access cab instead, why pay the extra money for the double cab, if your limited when taking taller people around in your truck?

8. Apr 14, 2007 at 5:47 PM
    coreyredken

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Ok.. well I have to say something a little different... Dont' know what kind of Tacoma you sat in, but my roommate is 6 Foot 6 Iches tall and he has NO problem sitting in the back seat of my double cab Taco. His head does NOT bush the ceiling..
    Was you sitting on your knees purhaps? Aahahahah

9. Apr 14, 2007 at 5:59 PM
    Duckman

Duckman n00b Extordinaire

Member:
    Somewhere on the River
    Vehicle:
    17 White TRD ORDC TECH 4X4
    WHAT YOU SAID... There is no way I brush the ceiling or even come close. My knees don't even touch the seat....You sure you didn't sit in an access cab?

10. Apr 16, 2007 at 5:19 PM
    midV6size

midV6size Active Member

Member:
    Well, there wasn't enough height in the back of that truck for me, I should know, I was sitting in the back!!!

11. Apr 16, 2007 at 5:23 PM
    coreyredken

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    oh okay.. i see.. since you're going to be driving the truck and riding in the back seat at the same time... Think you stretched the truth just a little bit.. buy ya a commercial bus or something that big if you need that much room! lol

12. Apr 18, 2007 at 9:18 PM
    midV6size

midV6size Active Member

Member:

Never mind, I see it's useless.

13. Jun 14, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    Healyj7

Healyj7 2010TRD Cape Cod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cape cod MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab...
    Led third brake light All bulbs changed to LED Blue... Bed cover Extra tie downs in bed Borla 3' aftermarket excuast Blacked out front grill Smoked front lights White turn/running lights Bed security Mod 2 inch front lift and level with bilstein front and rear shocks... 1 Inch wheel spacers BF Goodrich AT tires 270/75/17
    I have plenty of room for my 10 year old and my wife and daughters friend sit back there for 3+ hour trips all the time sometimes when I don't drive I will sit in the back to watch a movie and I am 5'11 230 and it's fine. My dad sits in the back he is 6'2 and does not mind.

14. Jun 14, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    Tyler07

Tyler07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DCSB
    Only 9 years delayed.... I sure hope the man has found a truck by now!

15. Jun 14, 2016 at 6:37 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Its tight, not sure what everyone is saying about it being comfortable, cause its not. It may not be a big deal to them because they are sitting in the front, but I wouldnt want to be sitting in the back of our trucks for longer then an hour at a time. No two ways about it, its tight back there. My Dad who is tall 6'3'' barely fits in the passenger seat and one time he sat back, lets just say never again ( head almost touching ceiling, knees hitting front seat, it looked awful).

Another person who said his 6' 6'' buddy was comfortable back there is full of shit, zero chance he was comfortable.

I would go full size.

16. Jun 14, 2016 at 6:43 AM
    Tyler07

Tyler07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DCSB
    PLEASE, NO! STOP replying to the OP! He hasn't even logged on in 2 years... His 14 and 17 year olds shouldn't be in baby seats (if they are, well.... :worthless:)

Products Discussed in

To Top