Notices

How to Fit 285x75s

Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
SCGuyInACOMA90 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
SCGuyInACOMA90's Tacoma Gallery
How to Fit 285x75s

Hello All,

Im aware that there are probably a few dozen threads similar to mine but im having a little trouble locating them. The ones that i have found do not seem to answer my whole question. The question: What do i have to do to clear 285x75R18 tires?

I have a Ready Lift leveling kit that i believe is 2 inches and i can clear 285x75s but i rub on my control arms. my problem deals with backspacing.

I am looking at gettin 18x9 monster XD wheels and 285x75R18 Mickey Thompson baja ATZ radials. i just want to know from y'alls opinion and experience what you all had to do in order to clear these tires/rim combo. I would love to avoid trimming but i understand sometimes u have to do what you have to do. and also how much backspacing would i be needing to clear these tires?

if i need more lift how much more should i add?
price is not really a problem. i really just want to ensure that it is done properly and that it looks great.

I appreciate all the info y'all and hopefully with all of the help i will be able to have the tacoma sittin right before the new year.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Well 4.50" is the back spacing you will need to clear the UCA's but with a 9" rim your going to need to cut in the wheel wells and maybe the cab mount.The only way to avoid trimming is lift the truck higher.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
i have that size with a 17x9" rim with a -12mm backspacing and I didnt trim or cut the mounts so just depends on lift and backspacing.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
285/75R18 is basically a 35" tire.

Your search results may be more productive if you search for threads where folks are trying to clear a 35" tire.

Typically, that would be a 6" lift. Not saying it can't be done with a 3" lift, but since I'm only running 33s, I can't speak from experience on that.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmac View Post
i have that size with a 17x9" rim with a -12mm backspacing and I didnt trim or cut the mounts so just depends on lift and backspacing.
The OP want's 18's 285/75/18's are 34.83" yours are 33.83
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
10-4.

guess thats what i will have to do. im also looking into getting some 5100s for the front at least. now because i need some more lift and i love the way a truck looks when it is squatted.
would this be sufficient or is there something else i should consider?
and instead of the 9inch wide rim is there another measurement of a rim to consider?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
not quite, almost a 34.

from the online tire size calculator
Old 11-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
i always thought that 285x75s were 33x11.50or something similar. i may just have to go down in tire size... all i really want are some 33s. and that will be all i do with the suspension... well for now haha
Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not quite, almost a 34.

Dude 18's
Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGuyInACOMA90 View Post
i always thought that 285x75s were 33x11.50or something similar. i may just have to go down in tire size... all i really want are some 33s. and that will be all i do with the suspension... well for now haha
On a 16" rim they are

Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
DUDE that is going to be tough on an 18..go 16s FTW

285/75/16
285/70/17
maybe a 295/70/17.
Some even have managed 305/70/17s...but that is extreme on a 3 inch lift for these trucks without some major trimming and rewelding the cab mount.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
eww.... your going for an offroad look and are going over 17's!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
haha yea but i love the monsters and i have always wanted them.

but in y'alls opinion what would you recommend that I do? with the 18s. 265x75s? something like a 33. i will find a way to make it work! and maybe a little more brain storming is required.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
eww.... your going for an offroad look and are going over 17's!!!
Not anymore he's not now that he know's a 285/75/18 is a 35" tire.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Not anymore he's not now that he know's a 285/75/18 is a 35" tire.
haha thats right.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGuyInACOMA90 View Post
haha yea but i love the monsters and i have always wanted them.

but in y'alls opinion what would you recommend that I do? with the 18s. 265x75s? something like a 33. i will find a way to make it work! and maybe a little more brain storming is required.
More like closer to 34" your going to need 265/70/18's to be under 33"
Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
If your going off road I don't recommend 18's unless there 35's or larger.

Just stick with a 17" or 16" with a 33"
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
i really did not want to get rid of my stock wheels just because i have always been fond of them. but there is only way to get some backspacing without spacers... and that is new wheels. at least that is the only thing to my knowledge
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
You can go with a 305/70/16 or a 305/65/17 with no problems.
Oh yeah those would work.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you're doing with the truck.

If you're staying on the street - a street look can be cool. One guy did a really nice job with a 3" lift and 20" wheels.

If you want to run those 18" wheels and you're staying on the street, you could run 285/60R18 tires.