Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camera mod switch for console?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Eddy
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Camera mod switch for console?

Hey guys,

I want to do the camera mod that allows for the any time camera option, but the mods all done that i can find on here are for a switch uptop the mirror.

Anyone know if the same wires go under the console or if another way to use a switch other than above? It'd be nice to use one of the blank switches next to the 12V outlets.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can always extend the wires for the switch.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You can always extend the wires for the switch.
Right, but i would think it'd be a pain to run it from uptop down, especially if those same wires already do run down by the console, or behind the dash etc....
Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relik View Post
Right, but i would think it'd be a pain to run it from uptop down, especially if those same wires already do run down by the console, or behind the dash etc....
I know what you mean. Your best bet would be to get a wiring diagram. 09 and up have the cameras so looks for a 09 and up diagram.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
I believe the wiring harness for that comes under the dash by one of the posts (driver side?).....under door threshold back along the driver's side of the vehicle. Try following it back up from the tailgate connector and you will probably find out which way it runs.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys,

I want to do the camera mod that allows for the any time camera option, but the mods all done that i can find on here are for a switch uptop the mirror.

Anyone know if the same wires go under the console or if another way to use a switch other than above? It'd be nice to use one of the blank switches next to the 12V outlets.

Thanks
I like this idea a lot. Subb'd
Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
the power wire is behind the drivers knee, i tapped into it for my reverse camera turn on with my old headunit. I would assume you could rig a switch and tap into it so when you supplied the wire with power it would trigger the rearview display.

shouldn't hurt to try it since it is already setup for a +12v input.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #8

Navy:
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
the power wire is behind the drivers knee
What do you mean? The seat is behind the knee Do you mean in the console next to where you're right knee rests? or in the dash about where you're knee is?

Thx
Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
gringo77 is on a distinguished road
gringo77's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd as well. interested in outcome
Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Banned
Remember that the screen will turn off in about 5 minutes and you will have to switch it off and turn it back on again.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What do you mean? The seat is behind the knee Do you mean in the console next to where you're right knee rests? or in the dash about where you're knee is?

Thx
Well obviously it wouldn't be in the seat , in the dash at the drivers knee is the area it is, pull off the panel and its behind there.

I have the link with pictures somewhere.

Edit: Found'em :

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...up-camera.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...elow-dash.html
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #12

uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Remember that the screen will turn off in about 5 minutes and you will have to switch it off and turn it back on again.
yes, this also.....the screen isn't made for long time viewing. Good for checking on a trailer, but other than that it has no real advantage.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...g/em01d0up.pdf

Look at the 9th page here for routing.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
I wrestled with this one for 10 forevers. Save yourself some grief and go aftermarket. Screen size, accessibility, and custom switch options will make you glad you did.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^
It does, but it also accepts any camera with the same RCA in as the one I got with it, so I assume that always displays as a general disclaimer.
The camera actually has its own remote where you can adjust the image/add grid lines for parking/etc. I have it mounted between the camera switch and the Aux input-just too dark of a pic.