Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 Gearset Question? & locker Question

Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
bromagen25 will become famous soon enoughbromagen25 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ryan
bromagen25's Tacoma Gallery
Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 Gearset Question? & locker Question

I have looked and looked but i can not find a straight answer to my question so here it goes.

1. Is there any way to add the Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 Gearset to the 2005+ Tacoma's with out changing the transfer case.

2. I want to Regear i have 4cyl 4x4 manual 2010 i use it as daily driver so it will be on the interstate 5 times a week. i am going to keep 31in tires would 4.56 or 4.88 be best. (I have To get Two sets Right? 1 front 1 rear)

3. I also am looking at geting a locker as well. Wich would be best for my truck 4cyl manual 4x4. looking for front and rear.

Will be used for mud and rock crawling. like the ARB air locker because it is selectable but is there any other out there that are selectable? (lower Price)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have an answer for #1, but would suggest calling Marlin.
#2, since you say its your daily driver and you will be on the road most of the time 4.56 would be my vote with the 31's. Yes you will need 2 sets front and rear. for incase you didn't know your truck already comes with 4.10 gears.
#3 I believe most selectable lockers will be $$$. With the ARB you will need an air tank. There are also some electric lockers. Food for thought.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
bromagen25 will become famous soon enoughbromagen25 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
There are also some electric lockers. Food for thought.
what would be a good good electric one?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
factory toyota or eaton electric if they make it for the tacoma
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The only front locker out for the front is ARB. So if you are already running a front ARB you might as well run a rear ARB.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromagen25 View Post
I have looked and looked but i can not find a straight answer to my question so here it goes.

1. Is there any way to add the Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 Gearset to the 2005+ Tacoma's with out changing the transfer case.

2. I want to Regear i have 4cyl 4x4 manual 2010 i use it as daily driver so it will be on the interstate 5 times a week. i am going to keep 31in tires would 4.56 or 4.88 be best. (I have To get Two sets Right? 1 front 1 rear)

3. I also am looking at geting a locker as well. Wich would be best for my truck 4cyl manual 4x4. looking for front and rear.

Will be used for mud and rock crawling. like the ARB air locker because it is selectable but is there any other out there that are selectable? (lower Price)
1. NO you need transfer case and it has to be lefty

2. 31" you need 4.56. you can install 4.88 but thats probably goign to be too much. yep if you have 4x4 then you need two gear sets, two master install kits. (If your current gears are not 4.10 then you will need new front differential too supposedly

3 F/R there are plenty choices but for front only ARB is the viable choice rear you can try lockright if you dont like it then go for ARB. Lockright is easy to install
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
what about this would it work and what all would i need. it said needs core and motor?

HERE
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
what about this would it work and what all would i need. it said needs core and motor?

HERE
Again you have a 8.4 rear end and the stock locker only works with a 8.0 rear end. You only choices are aftermarket locker or the entire 8.0 axle.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Banned
Ok I'm going to change my answer. You may have a 8.0 rear diff instead of a 8.4. I have been trying to look for a definite answer but no luck. If you do in fact have a 8.0 diff I do know for sure that a non locking axle will not accept the stock e locker without modification. I'm still searching myself so I don't give out wrong info.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Ok I'm going to change my answer. You may have a 8.0 rear diff instead of a 8.4. I have been trying to look for a definite answer but no luck. If you do in fact have a 8.0 diff I do know for sure that a non locking axle will not accept the stock e locker without modification. I'm still searching myself so I don't give out wrong info.
If he has non e-locked axle then 8.4 which means no e-locker unless whole axle is replaced. And by all axle I mean drum to drum ... So your post is correct
Oh yeah and TRD axle needs to be from 09+ truck
Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
If he has non e-locked axle then 8.4 which means no e-locker unless whole axle is replaced. And by all axle I mean drum to drum ... So your post is correct
Oh yeah and TRD axle needs to be from 09+ truck
Ok. Just checking. I saw a post somewhere during my searching about the 4 bangers having a 8.0 diff.

Yeah 09 and up because of the VSC.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 66H now w/ PHS
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I don't have an answer for #1, but would suggest calling Marlin.
#2, since you say its your daily driver and you will be on the road most of the time 4.56 would be my vote with the 31's. Yes you will need 2 sets front and rear. for incase you didn't know your truck already comes with 4.10 gears.
#3 I believe most selectable lockers will be $$$. With the ARB you will need an air tank. There are also some electric lockers. Food for thought.
No air tank needed for ARB just ARB compressor. If you run a CO2 tank theres a few companys that make a manifold to run ARB lockers off the tank.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #15
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

1. Marlin makes a crawl box that goes between the current tcase and tranny. you can get that with 4.7 but because our tcase is chain drive(not gear) you cant change the ratio. So to answer your question yes and no. Yes you can add 4.7 in line with the stock tcase. but you cant replace the stock tcase with 4.7 ratio gears.

2. If you are going to keep the 31" stock size tires, you can keep the 4.10s especially if your going to go with a crawl box. For 32"s 4.56 will be fine on the street. If you go with arb up front youll be fine with 4.56. if you plan on keeping an open front or go with a lockright you will need a 3.73 carrier for the 4.56 R&P. If you plan on waiting on the crawl box ($2000) then 4.88s would probably be better. 4.88s work with the 4.10 carrier that is stock or with arb. And the 4.88 can handle 33s. Might be a bit much with 31s though.

3. Many people save money and opt for lockright or no-slip in the rear. Pretty street friendly. I myself am trying to decide lockright or noslip. For front, i plan on going with a selectable. ARB is currently the only one available currently.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
thank you very much for the in

i think i will wait save my money and just get the new tcase Lefty is the name i think and the 4.56 gears that means i need a 4.56 up front to as well i think if i read all the post right. with the new tcase from inch worm it will replace my stock tcase right? i should have around a 84:1 crawl ratio. ( 3.95*4.56*4.71)
or will the gears be different with the new tcase? or will they stay the same?

sorry for all the questions i just want to do it right the first time.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thank you very much for the in

i think i will wait save my money and just get the new tcase Lefty is the name i think and the 4.56 gears that means i need a 4.56 up front to as well i think if i read all the post right. with the new tcase from inch worm it will replace my stock tcase right? i should have around a 84:1 crawl ratio. ( 3.95*4.56*4.71)
or will the gears be different with the new tcase? or will they stay the same?

sorry for all the questions i just want to do it right the first time.
thats if you go through the trouble of changing tcases.

If you add a 4.7 Marlin crawler reduction and 4.56 gears itd be (3.95*4.7*2.7*4.56) no need to adapt or replace anything, just add a reduction to the mix.

first ratio x 4.7 reduction(crawler) x 2.7 (stock T case) x 4.56 diff

228:1 a true crawl ratio. Marlin runs dual 4.7s with 5.29s and has a 500:1 crawl ratio

whatever gears you run in the back you have to run up front.
a lefty inchworm is 2000$. A marlin reduction Dual case is 1850 for the kit. What it does is add the reduction of a lefty without the rest of the tcase, just the low range. you keep the stock tcase in conjunction
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
scgunslinger is on a distinguished road

scgunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
sure would like to here the after effects of the lefty install and how it works real world.