Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sway bar removal problem.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
The tacoman is on a distinguished road
The tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Sway bar removal problem.

I was trying to remove my sway bar this morning and I could not get the top bolt to budge. It appears to be a little rusted. The two bolts on the frame look fine, but its the upper one I have been having problems with. I sprayed it down with WD40 and am letting it sit currently, hopefully that works. If not has anyone else run into this problem, or have any bright ideas?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Pyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant future

Name: Jon
Pyro's Tacoma Gallery
using a breaking bar worked for me.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
using a breaking bar worked for me.
x2. or if you dont have a bar, try using 2 box wrenches connected together, like so:

Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
x2. or if you dont have a bar, try using 2 box wrenches connected together, like so:

Pretty clever with the box wrenches. Never seen that before. Guess Ill go give it a shot.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was impressed when that trick was passed on to me also. It actually gives you a good amount of leverage! Not as much as a breaker bar, but it works
Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
be careful not to slip if you do the wrench thing, i've racked my knuckles so many times doing that
Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
╒╪╕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
be careful not to slip if you do the wrench thing, i've racked my knuckles so many times doing that
This happens too...you might want to set up the wrenches, and tap the bottom with a hammer a couple times
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
or stick a pipe on the end of your socket wrench
Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
or stick a pipe on the end of your socket wrench
thats what i usually do
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Pyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant future

Name: Jon
Pyro's Tacoma Gallery
oh yea, ive doen the wrench trick many times. It works perfectly. (do not buy cheap ratchets, You will break those bastards so fast)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's how I got my bell-housing bolts off when I pulled the engine on my nova
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Well I got it off finally. After getting all of the bolts/nuts off the hardest part was actually getting the sway bar out from the truck. Ended up having to take both of the tires off and having my wife help me twist it the the right way. Do you always have to take a tire off to get it out?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
╒╪╕

much easier to just take off the 2 cross bars under the sway bar, so that it drops straight down
Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Quote:
much easier to just take off the 2 cross bars under the sway bar, so that it drops straight down
Yeah that thought crossed my mind as i'd already taken the tire off. Wasn't sure if that would be the easiest way or not. Guess ill do that next time. Thanks.