1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Key stuck in ignition

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 757southpaw, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nov 12, 2010 at 2:21 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Key and lock oil might help. Basically, it's penetrating oil with graphite suspended in it. I had a similar problem being able to get the key to turn at all. This fixed it.

2. Nov 12, 2010 at 3:58 AM
    boss1041

boss1041 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    valdosta, georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 6 speed trd or, 95 auto
    Try pulling the acc fuse for ur dash power outlets don't ask lol just pull the fuse and take the key out without the fuse in. Hope this helps

3. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Excellent advice.....also turning the steering wheel to the left slightly will assist in unlocking the key in my experience.

4. Nov 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Compare your key with the spare. Perhaps the metal has worn down on the key.

wilcam47 likes this.
  5. Nov 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    757southpaw

757southpaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM

I believe the above responces are the reason for key not comeing out!

This past weekend I accessed the shifter column to see what kinda light was needed for a mod. I thought I put everything back together but apparently there was a piece of plastic the size of uuuhh maybe watch face that was jamming up, not allowing the shifter to fully engage Park. I removed it and viola....no problems thus far...knock on wood!

Thanks for everyones replies!

6. Nov 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    patrick hale

patrick hale New Member

Member:
    treasure island, fl.
    Vehicle:
    2000 prerunner v-6 2wd
    I had same problem with stuck key in ignition. only way it would come out(turn to lock position) was to disconnect battery. someone in this site suggested a shim on the shifter pivot bolt. I removed plastic console cover over floor shifter, had to remove three Phillips screws from white plastic/nylon unit passenger side of shifter to access 14mm bolt head.bolt is a shoulder bolt about4-5" long and has a tube around it . tube was worn on ends so left about 1/8" gap between sides of bracket. nut on other end of shoulder bolt is 12mm. remove nut, pull out bolt and get fender washer 1/8" thick to fit over shoulder(thicker part of bolt). insert bolt back through passenger side of bracket, into tube. push thru to drivers side of bracket, pull back enough to slide new fender washer into gap between tube and bracket and line up so bolt will slide thru hole in washer and then thru hole in bracket .reinstall 12mm nut. reinstall 3 screws in white nylon unit passenger side of shifter. should have suggested disconnecting battery first before any repair work is started. now connect battery. test by inserting key ,starting engine, drive, park,turn off engine . key should come out no problem. then reinstall cowling (plastic cover). other suggestion from my locksmith. do not spray wd40 directly into ignition.do not use graphite! instead spray wd40 onto key, insert into ignition and use sawing action ,pushing in and pulling out. do this several times to clean and lubricate.

tonyclifton, Jon64l and tcjacado like this.
  7. Nov 6, 2014 at 5:33 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Graphite, either liquid or powder (preferred) is the way to go. Available at hobby shops.
    WD40 will leave residue that attracts dust.

8. Aug 13, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    Knockie

Knockie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    I had the same problem and the fix is to shim the tube that holds the shifter. You will notice that your shifter gets looser as the truck ages. Because the shifter is loose, it is preventing the lever from fully going into park, thus preventing the key from being removed. Just put a few washers on the nut side, inside the bracket and you will not have anymore trouble. You will also have a tighter shifter.

tonyclifton likes this.
  9. Aug 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Use graphite spray in your lock to lubricate it every once in awhile.

10. Sep 19, 2016 at 7:27 PM
    Galactus

Galactus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2001 Taco
    None
    I have this problem, my key gets randomly stuck, trying on off on off it won't go past accessory, I simply remove accessory fuse at the dash " top middle on my 2001" turn the key on and then off, comes out every time. I'm sure it has something to do with the interlock, but now I have a sure fire way to remove it.

11. Nov 15, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    Shadowmohawk

Shadowmohawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    White 2002 Taco
    2.7 4 cylinder
    I have tried all of those on my 02. The only way i can get the key out is if i pop the hood and remove the negative termanl wire. I have replaced the ignition cylinder. Someone help me out do i need to go farther and remove the ignition switch?

12. Nov 15, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    bluezzy

bluezzy Love My SuperCharged 07 Sport!

Member:
    First Name:
    Monty
    Eugene, Oregon
    if it were me, I would take it straight to the locksmith.

13. Nov 15, 2016 at 1:11 PM
    Shadowmohawk

Shadowmohawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    White 2002 Taco
    2.7 4 cylinder
    Well i just called my local locksmith and he said do i look like a mechanic...got to love small country towns. well i will have to deal with removing the acc fuse everytime i get to a job to get my key out till i can get it to my brother

bluezzy[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 15, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    dedmouse

dedmouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dammit
    South Central Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tacoma Base, 6 spd manual tranny, V6.
    You don't want to mix up the two :eek:

15. Nov 19, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    Galactus

Galactus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2001 Taco
    None
    Ok so if you have a key that gets stuck and goes in and out normally, it is most likely the interlock switch. This switch is located inside the plastics covering your shifter. To diagnose if this is the problem, you can do a few things, me personally, I was getting hella pissed and basically slammed the shifter from park to 1st a zillion times. But I found the proper way is to open your fuse box, remove the Accessory fuse, turn key on, turn key off and then it should come out. If that works, I can guarantee that it is the interlock switch. The second thing you can do is press the button on top of your shifter a bunch of times, then hold the shifter over to the right a little and do it again, turn key on, turn key off, if it now lets it out then it is also the interlock switch. My truck has 254k miles on it, so my old key doesnt even open the doors anymore, I have a spare key i use. Ok, I still have not fixed the interlock switch, but I did take it apart to see that was the issue. What you will see when you take it apart is a white piece of plastic that gets pulled up when you put the shifter in park, and what happens is the little tab slides out of that. If you see that moving the shifter to park does not pull that white piece up, then that is the problem. Now that I know the problem with mine, I am lazy and just press the top button a bunch of times, turn to on, then off and if the key doesnt come out I do it a few more times.

tonyclifton likes this.
  16. Nov 23, 2016 at 12:29 PM
    Shadowmohawk

Shadowmohawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    White 2002 Taco
    2.7 4 cylinder
    Thats exactly what the problem was. Just spent a little bit of money and time to fix it now comes the fun part getting all my locks to the same key. The local lock smith is really going to love me when I ask him to rekey all my locks

17. Nov 23, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed
    I find that's better for getting it in, not out.

I don't think your doctor would recommend lithium in place of KY but it doesn't hurt to ask.

18. Nov 23, 2016 at 7:46 PM
    TacomaJack099

TacomaJack099 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2007 Tacoma 2.7 / 5 speed AC 4x4
    WD40 is a solvent, not a lube...

19. Nov 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Slightly off topic, but try to keep a "light" keyring, ie no more keys than you use regularly, to reduce cylinder wear.

20. Nov 24, 2016 at 8:58 AM
    moweryaviation

moweryaviation Life begins, where the pavement ends!

Member:
    Dixon, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma, 4x4, manual, access cab
    3" (or so) lift, Dakar leafs & 886 up front.OME Sport shocks, Pro-Crap struts up front, SPC UCA's, Brute Force Fab front and rear, super winch 9500, KM2 255/85, Holly Brakes, SS Brake lines, DOT 4 Fluid, Custom bed system, independent bed LEDs, black head lights, Mag Grey grill, DIY 50$ roof tie down system, On Board Air, DIY spare tire swing arm, DIY painted rims, Energy bushings, camp lights, independant power system, BAMF Bolt on Sliders, DIY IFS Skid, DIY Roof Rack, Bad ass additude, one old smart dog, one young dumb dog, and one hot Burnett!
    I found that the key is worn out. That is what happend to mein my old 98'. On the ex-wifes honda, it was the solenoid for the "In Park" position for the shifter.

Products Discussed in

To Top