Notices

anyone else's antenna coming loose?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Truck Noob
MaxPower is on a distinguished road

Name: Cezar
MaxPower's Tacoma Gallery
anyone else's antenna coming loose?

it constantly shakes from driving and becomes loose.

has anyone else encountered this problem?

is there a way to fix it, (that doesn't include glue or any thing that may hinder me taking it out later on)?

should i replace it with a shorter one, and if so, any suggestions as to what one?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Mine only comes loose when it hits a bunch of trees.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
auburn taco will become famous soon enoughauburn taco will become famous soon enough
Name: kevin
auburn taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
it constantly shakes from driving and becomes loose.

has anyone else encountered this problem?

is there a way to fix it, (that doesn't include glue or any thing that may hinder me taking it out later on)?

should i replace it with a shorter one, and if so, any suggestions as to what one?

Yes, I have the same issue. I will try to tighten it more based on another post.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Truck Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Mine only comes loose when it hits a bunch of trees.
that's why it's weird to me...from normal driving it gets loose.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Try to tighten it with some piles?

Thats what I do and it only comes loose with hitting lots of trees.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
DiamondDG is on a distinguished road

DiamondDG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
that's why it's weird to me...from normal driving it gets loose.
It whips from the wind wich makes it loose. I put a 12" billet one on mine. No more issues. You can alway use a dab of green or blue loctite.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Truck Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDG View Post
It whips from the wind wich makes it loose. I put a 12" billet one on mine. No more issues. You can alway use a dab of green or blue loctite.

true. why i didn't think of that i have no idea.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
my OEM one came loose often when I first got the truck. After taking some pliers to them - never came loose again.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was loose but I just hand tightened it as hard as I could, and it hasn't come loose for months now.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
My antenna was constantly loosening up as well. I saw a different posting frome someone who had experienced some rust and degrading radio reception. Went out and wrapped the thread in teflon a few times and screwed the antenna back in tightly with a wrench. No further loosening, and no further rattles when the antenna brushes something on the trails.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
My previous vehicle was an 08 Kia Spectra and I was amazed at how easily the antenna came loose, well wouldn't you know it, the Tacoma is the same way. Not sure why. I put a tiny dab of loctite on my Kia's antenna and it worked great. I'm don't know why I havn't done it to my current 2010 Taco yet...guess I'm lazy but yes, mine comes loose very easily. Loctite works great.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Off topic kinda but at work we steel each others antennas all the time and hide them in various places... But i can tell you that they are the exact same as the ones on frontiers and ford rangers! Anything that screws into that hole should fit but if you get a smaller antenna your going to loose a good marker for low roofs like parking garages!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
cobrakenny will become famous soon enoughcobrakenny will become famous soon enough

Name: Ken
cobrakenny's Tacoma Gallery
Was a problem for me too. Even after tightening, it was still comming loose every few weeks and I don't have any unusuall vibrations in the truck at all???
I was worried that if I used tape dope or loctite I might compromise reception so I went to Lowes and got a small stainless lockwasher for it, no problem since.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
OEM was always coming loose... Tightened it with pliers, then no problem. Now I have an 8 inch stub and no problems with that.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakenny View Post
Was a problem for me too. Even after tightening, it was still comming loose every few weeks and I don't have any unusuall vibrations in the truck at all???
I was worried that if I used tape dope or loctite I might compromise reception so I went to Lowes and got a small stainless lockwasher for it, no problem since.

I think the lock washer idea is your best and cheapest bet!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #19
bud3ll is on a distinguished road

Name: vic
bud3ll's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same problem so i bought the billet antenna from antennx.com. Much better fit and i think it looks a lot better..
Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
mine did that i used a little dab of black rtv silicone since i didnt have any loc tite and it has been tight for two years now.