1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lacking power - fuel pump? timing issue?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nuckinfuts, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts [OP] NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    So I've been MIA for a while on TW - trying to just drive my truck for a while and ignore all the cool things I want to buy for it. Last week I drove about 140 miles and for most of the trip my truck felt like it was lagging. It felt like it was lacking its normal power and didn't want to get up and go. More skinny pedal just made more noise (higher revs) but it wasn't really accelerating like it should. I'm trying to figure out if it's a fuel issue or timing issue. I'm hoping for fuel because I'd rather replace a fuel pump than deal with electrical gremlins, but it hasn't done it since. This also happened once about 6 months ago but it was early in the morning and I thought I was just half asleep. I'm headed to Montana in a couple weeks and don't want to have it die in the middle of nowhere. What say you?

06 AC 4x4, 90k miles, the rest should be in my sig.

2. Nov 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    damn, nothing? Bump. Anyone? Bueller?

3. Nov 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Air filter good?

4. Nov 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    bad fuel?

5. Nov 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    IS your truck man or auto? When did you do your spark plugs?

6. Nov 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    Now we're talking. Air filter is back to stock as of 3 months or so ago. First time it did it was with the K&N/AEM combo. Both filters are/were relatively clean.

I'm hoping for bad fuel, but am a bit leary because I filled up about halfway through the trip and it didn't change. Next day it was back to normal power.

Plugs changed at 68,500 so I doubt they are the culprit.

Auto trans.

7. Nov 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I asked about plugs just t ocover it. But one item that is interesting is that RPMS went up when you pressed gas but truck did not follow.
    Bad Tranny then? If you had manuall it would sound like slipping clutch, auto tranny does similar thing when has issues.
    When and if fluid was replaced in transmission? You are at 90K mark so I would think that's the time to do it. Also are there any leaks on the tranny?

8. Nov 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    It's kind of hard to explain the feeling, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't the trans slipping. I do get a weird shift every now and again, but it's usually the 4th-5th when it's cold or the torque converter locking/unlocking when cruising on the highway at the annoying 45-50 mph range where the trans is confused what gear to be in. I did the drain/refill of the trans pan at 76,500 miles (yes, it's only ~25% of the fluid) and I need to do it again over the next couple of oil changes or get it fully flushed. If it was slipping I would expect it do it it more consistently.

I'm still thinking it's the fuel pump on it's way out...it's the cheapest thing I can think to replace at $155. I still don't really trust the in-tank "filter" screen thing on the stock pump.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=79_12&products_id=1260518592

9. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I dont know, if fuel pump went bad there are atleast 4 sensors that would complain about. Since you did not post any Cel codes I am assuming you are not getting any.

10. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    I would start with tune up items. Plugs, air filter, fuel cleaner and maybe even a bottle of (mild) octane booster in case of bad gas. Do all that and I bet it'll feel like a new engine again.
    Fuel pumps in japanese vehicles will last longer than the vehicle itself in most cases.
    Timing is controlled by the ecu so that's not it. If the engine was off even 1* you'd know it. Oh yeah, and after you perform a tune up, reset the ecu by disconnecting the NEG battery terminal so the ecu can relearn with the new parts.

Products Discussed in

To Top