Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

265/75/R16 tires and rub

Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
RX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the rough
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/R16 tires and rub

I just got some 265/75r16 mud tires on my 2009 Tacoma OR. Stock tires are 265/70/R16. It currently has the TRD Ivan Stewart wheels. While driving, they are rub on the mud flaps when I turn. It minimal rubing, but I fear it will be worse offroad.

Will 5100's fix this? I am getting 16x8 Raceline Raptors on Monday and am thinking I will have the same issues with the stock shocks. I do have the Rear Leaf TSB inplace.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
cgilbane will become famous soon enoughcgilbane will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
cgilbane's Tacoma Gallery
most people take theirt front mud flaps off.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Take all the mud flaps off... If you ever do any serious off roading, they will come off anyway!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you guys take your flaps off? Yeah I understand ripping them off on obstacles, but they protect the body paint from chips. What's more the rear ones protect drivers behind me. Colorado already is the broken windshield capital of America.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Why do you guys take your flaps off? Yeah I understand ripping them off on obstacles, but they protect the body paint from chips. What's more the rear ones protect drivers behind me. Colorado already is the broken windshield capital of America.
We take the front ones off so the tires don't rub on them...having them ripped off while wheeling could cause a lil more damage. we take the rears off for a clean look...maybe you should move to a different state
Old 11-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Have you seen what happens to your mud flaps when you drive down the road?? They are worthless. They arent protecting anything. The wind from driving makes them bend backwards and sits flush with the bottom of the cab. They are so flimsy its a joke. Take them off and problem solved.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
Have you seen what happens to your mud flaps when you drive down the road?? They are worthless. They arent protecting anything. The wind from driving makes them bend backwards and sits flush with the bottom of the cab. They are so flimsy its a joke. Take them off and problem solved.
I've seen plenty of 2nd gens tooling along I-25 at 75 and they don't bend anything like that! Not even close!

I would like to find some rubber flaps similar to what my 86 4Runner had though. Those things were bombproof on and off road, always giving way to whatever obstacles that might challenge them. But they sure as hell protected that truck for 24 years. Anybody know of rubber replacement flaps that are predrilled to fit the OEM holes?

ColtsTRD - Hell no I'm not leaving Colorado. But yeah they mix a lot of pea gravel in with the sand / salt mix on the roads and everybody gets broken windshields here. And all that rock mix flipping up without flaps can toast your paint over time.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
bud3ll is on a distinguished road

Name: vic
bud3ll's Tacoma Gallery
took mine off cuz the front passenger side flap ripped off while i was on a trail (nothing hardcore mind you). i'm lucky there was no damage..its been about two years now without any mud flaps and so far no paint damage at all.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post

To make room for tires. I thought that was obvious.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Rock throwing machine

Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
How big of wheel spacers are those? 2" or just a lot of backspacing?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Im guessing about 3.5" backspacing
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
How big of wheel spacers are those? 2" or just a lot of backspacing?
no spacers, thats against my religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Im guessing about 3.5" backspacing
Around there, tires it self are 12.5 wide
Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
Take off the mudflaps. And quit being a girl about it...
Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Baadboy11 is on a distinguished road
Baadboy11's Tacoma Gallery
Or trim them up, thats what most folks do depending on where they are rubbing...scissors will do it.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Just trim them, use some beefy hardware, and slap some structural silicone on when mounting them and they will be fine. I lost both fronts in a day then trimmed and reinstalled and they are fine now. All four are still on my truck and I was offroad all day today. I also like my paint and the drivers behind me + I don't like getting pulled over for bullshit like missing flaps.

Im sorry but those tiny mud flaps aren't going to do anything
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
RX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the rough
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner02r1 View Post
Take off the mudflaps. And quit being a girl about it...
Nice! OK OK , I took off the front. No rub! Looks better too. Now pumped to see what the new rims are going to look like on a White, debadged taco.