Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fishing Rods in a Short Bed

Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
Fishing Rods in a Short Bed

Hello,

I have a few fishing rods that are 1 piece (rods are 6'6 and longer) and was curious how other are storing their fishing rods in the back of a short bed Tacoma? I'm not a fan of the fishing rod holders that go underneath the front bumper, so are there any other options?

Thanks,

dPak
Old 11-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Its not the size of ur rod but how u waggle ur worm!

Hey dPak
Try a TW search and/or Google images for pvc rod holder, truck bed rod holder, etc.
I've come across quite a few examples while looking for mods and diy ideas for my baby.
One I liked was attached inside the roof of the cap (if you have one).
Ideas for railbed mounting hardware are here on TW. PVC lets you use your imagination.
BRGDS
Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
x2^
Old 11-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
Will do. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
I would think it would be a snap to do some of those PVC pipe style holders standing up right behind the cab due to the rail system.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Old Guy Member
satchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nice

Air Force: mech
satchsd's Tacoma Gallery
This how transport 8' flyrods. The first is on wife's car, second is on my truck, never had an issue with them in this position. Now that i have a shell i use one of thesehttp://www.sportube.com/pages/rack_mounted.php

Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
At first I built a rod rack using a 1x8"

That ended up taking up too much space in the bed, so I build one that affixes to the bed rails.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
SURFTACO will become famous soon enough

Name: Steve
SURFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
KPT, great idea. What materials did you use for both options? The first pic looks like you used the rod holders from dicks or something but how did you mount it? Whats materials did you use for picture two? thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURFTACO View Post
KPT, great idea. What materials did you use for both options? The first pic looks like you used the rod holders from dicks or something but how did you mount it? Whats materials did you use for picture two? thanks
Thanks.

You're right, in the first picture I used rod racks from Gander Mountain, and mounted them to a 1x8. The 1x8 fits into the cubby holes in the bed.

For the second rack, I just used some plywood and 1 1/2" pvc. I secured it to the bed rails using these:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...er-thread.html
Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
bagster is on a distinguished road
Army: dog handler
bagster's Tacoma Gallery
If it's warm, you can open your sliding rear window and let the rod tips ride in the cab.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
sneurath is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: shawn
sneurath's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
For the second rack, I just used some plywood and 1 1/2" pvc. I secured it to the bed rails using these:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...er-thread.html
Awesome design KPT. Very nice.

I'd like to know where I can find some of those bed rail nuts you bought. It seems the OP in that thread only did a limited run on those nuts. Any other idea where to find something like that?

I'd like to build a rod holder like yours for my dad. He does a ton of fishing and always wrestles with the rods and has them rolling around in the bed of his Tacoma. I'm thinking this would be a good Father's Day gift.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post

I'd like to know where I can find some of those bed rail nuts you bought. It seems the OP in that thread only did a limited run on those nuts. Any other idea where to find something like that?
Here you go, this thread has several options.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tachments.html
Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchsd View Post
This how transport 8' flyrods. The first is on wife's car, second is on my truck, never had an issue with them in this position. Now that i have a shell i use one of thesehttp://www.sportube.com/pages/rack_mounted.php

Pretty slick- ever get pulled over for obstructed view?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery