Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD "offroad tuned" suspension - what type of offroad?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
trailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant future
trailmaker's Tacoma Gallery
TRD "offroad tuned" suspension - what type of offroad?

Are they talking about slow speed, crawling over stuff or faster gravel roads, washboard, pothole type of stuff. I'm thinking of adding another Taco to the stable but I haven't really figured out what type of "offroad" the TRD is tuned for. I don't do recreational type four wheeling but I live in a rural area with gravel and dirt roads in varying conditions. Is that what they mean by "offroad"?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
offroad is just a name. only difference to the trd sport in the suspension are the stiffer coils on the OR, the smaller swaybar on the OR, and the locker in the rear of the OR.

sounds like pretty much anything could do what you are talking about.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
trailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
offroad is just a name. only difference to the trd sport in the suspension are the stiffer coils on the OR, the smaller swaybar on the OR, and the locker in the rear of the OR.

True, anything can do country roads but I'm looking for the Tacoma that has the quickest most comfortable ride over said terrain.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
Both will probably be bouncy on dirt roads, especially the rear end. That said, as the Offroad is supposed to have stiffer suspension, it may bounce more. The Offroad has A-TRAC and a rear differential locker, while the Sport has color matched components, such as grill surrounds, etc.

If you want a smoother ride, you're probably going to take noneck180's advice... custom suspension, possibly combined with a lift, will really help the most.

For me, the Offroad version was the package of choice. Although part of the intended use for my truck was recreational trail running, as well as daily driver, I would still get the Offroad package even if I didn't plan on any serious offroading, as the A-TRAC and rear locker will help in mud, sand, snow, etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like aftermarket may be the ticket. I'll start scouring the boards for aftermarket suspension info.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post

TRD HD shocks on all TRD models vs. the Tokico shocks on the base/SR5
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
It means you can do anything with it...DUH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkWA...layer_embedded