Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ordered FJ Cruiser wheels, need opinions on tires...

Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Chronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura about

Name: Michael
Chronism's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered FJ Cruiser wheels, need opinions on tires...

Finally settle on a wheel, silver FJ Cruiser's. First off, my Tacoma only has 2000 miles on it, so the tires have plenty of life left. The stock tires are 265/70/R16. My options are:

Just swap the original tires over w/ TPMS'.

Or

Order new tires, a little larger 265/75/R16, and probably a little more aggressive BFG AT's.

Is it worth the 1/2" increase in height and more aggressive look to buy new tires? Will I see much of a difference in tires size on the truck?

I know, ultimately, it is what I want, but I am curious what others would do. Common sense says save $650 and wait until I NEED new tires...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
You can always sell the stock wheels and tires and recoup some of the costs of the new setup.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Chronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura about

True. I'd be curious to see what the silver FJ's look like with 265/75/R16 BFG AT's on a stock suspension. Off to utilize the search function...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
i have silver fjs with 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on stock suspension. I love my set-up, glad I made the upgrades.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the pic Pete.

Was just looking on Tire Rack and the 265/70/R16 BFG AT's are more expensive than the larger 265/75/R16??
Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Do they have a different load rating?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #7

Yes, the 265/70 has a "D" rating and the 265/75 has an "E" rating which confuses me more, isn't "D" 65psi and "E" 80 psi max?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
usually the E ratings mean more plys are in the tire.
thus the tires are heavier and require more psi.
usually if you have a heavy vehicle or tow heavy items.

E rated are not needed on our trucks, they are not that heavy
or can tow really heavy items.

Recommend you look at the Goodyear Duratrac's, C rated.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #9

Yeah but what confused me is that the lighter load rated tire (and larger) actually cheaper.

I'll look into the Duratracs, what size in those would you recommend with a stock TRD OR supsension?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
265/75's for stock. Duratrac, Toyo A/T and the Nitto are all great tires, the BFGs are good but they are proud of them, they're not cheap.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
265/75

above, pete has a great pic of the 265/75 Duratracs on a stock truck.

my truck has the rear TSB and billy's @ .85, or otherwords, about 1 inch of lift.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #12

I think I may be sold. Any issues balancing them with stickies instead of rim weights on the outside? I don't want any stinking weights showing on my wheels...
Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing the same thing. If you want to look at different tires, here is my thread!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ls-tacoma.html
Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Unsure about the stickys

I would only use what works best for the wheel / tires
Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
MagreyTaco is on a distinguished road
MagreyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tires

Hey I am looking to upgrade my tires in the near future too. I've done a lot of research the last couple of days and found that Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61's got the best write ups. Their aggressive, good looking tires but not crazy aggressive like bfg mud terrains. Plus they fit stock sizes for trd's so try looking into them, they got em on tire rack!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for Duratracs here.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for duratracs here also
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #18

I appreciate all of the responses. The more I read other threads about the Duratracs, the more undecided I get.. I read some bad things about wear. To be honest, I don't do a lot of off roading and do drive many highway miles every day.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
bevans is just really nicebevans is just really nicebevans is just really nicebevans is just really nicebevans is just really nice
bevans's Tacoma Gallery
If you like the BFG a/ts, check out the general grabber at2. The at2's tread pattern look identical to the bfg's. Also the generals have a 60k mile warranty and cost about $70 less per tire.

I just got mine today and love them.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronism View Post
I appreciate all of the responses. The more I read other threads about the Duratracs, the more undecided I get.. I read some bad things about wear. To be honest, I don't do a lot of off roading and do drive many highway miles every day.
I had BFG' A/T's on my 1st gen... When I sold it, they had 80k miles and plenty of life left. No balancing/wear issues. Great traction on snow and quiet throughout thier life. Just thought I would give you my personal experience... Good luck with your decision.