1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it coming...Diesel Tacoma 2010

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rme, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Aug 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM
    rme

rme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    If anyone is aware of Toyota coming out with a TACO diesel I'd like to know about it and any info you might have. I own a diesel VW and love it....

RME

2. Aug 3, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Welcome to Tacoma World.

There is no Taco diesel for 2010 and I very seriously doubt that we will ever see a Diesel Taco or Hilux in the US.

3. Aug 3, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    rme

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    thanks for the quick reply...any idea what the mpg will be with the future taco's? Bush just signed some new mpg requirements to up the mileage on the trucks. Have anyone heard anything on the tundra diesel and the MPG it is suppose to get?

rme

4. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    Just look up the 2009 mpg specs, because thats exactly what the 2010 Tacoma will be...exactly the same as 2009. If Toyota ever does build a diesel truck to North America it will be the Tundra first. And that seems to be taking a long time!

5. Feb 3, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
  6. Feb 3, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I've been hoping Toyota would build a small diesel truck for years. It looks like that isn't going to happen. But there is an Indian company called Mahidra coming out with a small diesel truck that will be sold in the US later this year. From what I've read in reviews in Australia where they're sold now, they are a little on the crude, un-refined side, but pretty utilitarian and mechanically solid, sort of how trucks used to be. I'm keeping an eye on these and might get one after they've been here long enough to prove decent.

http://www.mahindrana.com/

7. Feb 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :rolleyes:

again with this diesel crap... blah

Jeep makes a CRD Liberty... :laugh:

8. Feb 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Jeep made..right..

9. Feb 3, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    BlueXenon

BlueXenon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles and Newport Coast
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic gray TRD sport (SOLD) 2004 Radiant Red TRD Off Road (SOLD)
    Pro Comp 6" Stage 2 lift, N-Fab nerf bars, tinted windows, debadged, 6000k xenon headlights, 18" ProComp 7089 Wheels in black with BFG AT KO 33's, SnugLid tonneau cover, Line X'ed TRD skid plate. SOLD! Waiting for the 3rd Gen!
    We havent seen a diesel pick up from toyota since the 80's. They dropped diesel engines from their trucks in 86 i believe.

10. Feb 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    The Hilux has diesel options in Europe, but they probably do not meet our emission standards.:mad:

11. Feb 3, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Europe has very strict emission standards, however they use a different diesel then we do here. I'm sure Toyota could meet the emission standards in the US if they really wanted. Don't take this the wrong way guys but I would think Canada might get a diesel Tundra or Tacoma before the US. There has always been a larger market in Canada for diesel engines. I think with the new legislation on fuel economy its only a matter of time before they do introduce a diesel pickup in North America. I mean 30mpg is hard to beat with a gas engine!

12. Feb 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  13. Feb 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Not so much anymore. We are at 15 ppm sulfur and they are at 10.

Both sides are looking at bio additives (for lubricity, emissions ain't so great) and eventually regulating aromatic content, but right now it's about the same stuff.

Sorry to butt in, but I'm a tractor buff and this stuff gets hashed constantly on the boards. :eek:

14. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM
    rme

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    I own a VW diesel and if Toyota can produce anything like that with the mileage...I think they'll have a winner. Gas "aint" gonna stay this cheap forever, and the CAFE restrictions now being applied to light trucks will be a motivating factor to do something with diesel (let the consumer pay for it) to reach their numbers.

15. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I want a diesel Tacoma! That would be sweet- tons of torque, great mpgs and easy to get more power out of it, not to mention the tough sound of a diesel truck.

16. Feb 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Oh good, a diesel Tacoma thread. Haven't had one in what, a couple days?

BTW, who says gas won't stay "cheap" or at least follow normal inflation at an even percentage? It has to this point.

17. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    rme

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    What was the price of gas six months ago? If Iran and N. Korea continue to test fire missiles what effect will that have on fuel and the withdrawal of U.S. Forces from the middle east? I don't know the answers to that but the Democrats are already calling for a 10 cent increase in gas tax....I don't trust for washington and I work for the goverment!

18. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    those SOB's. WTF! They want to raise taxes to keep the cash flowing in. What the heck were they doing 5 years ago when the revenues were lower then? Did they just go out and spend a piss load. It cracks me up when Obama says he is going to create or save 4 million jobs over the next 2-4 years. That is like saying the american populations is going to increase 2 -4 million people over the next 4 years. Yea duh.

19. Feb 4, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gas or more importantly oil is a finite resource, don't believe if you want but it will run out. There is no more "cheap" oil on the planet, finding and accessing is becoming more and more expensive, deeper wells, off shore drilling, and unconventional methods cost more. And then there is the US dependancy on foreign oil. The US imports a large % of there oil, this costs money. Sorry to say but we can be pretty sure gas prices WILL rise.

20. Feb 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    Mr Wiggles

Mr Wiggles Supergroovalisticprosifun kstication

Member:
    i've spoken to more than a few speculators and analysts here that predict oil will shoot to $200/bbl by this time next year and stay that way for a while, not the quick spike we got last year followed by this horrible downturn in market prices.

All the investment dollars that were going into new development have either dried up because of the banks or companies aren't tapping proven fields at sub $50 oil. So, as over the next year or two the economy slowly bounces back, especially with these large stimulus packages going on, demand for oil will creep back up as supplies dwindle, shooting the price per barrel back up.

The most important thing to remember about oil and gasoline pricing and demand, is all the automotive consumption in the entire world only represents 15% of oil. The rest is used by industry. So if everyone switched to driving hybrids, world demand for oil would only drop 10% (still need to account for some oil going to the gasoline for these hybrids, just much less).

Getting back on track,

There is no real incentive from a financial perspective for Toyota or any other company to release a diesel version of a small truck. There's not enough demand. The VW diesel's sell very well in Europe where gasoline prices have been $4+ per gallon for years. they made a few changes to the cars to get them to pass in North America. That's the only reason that you can buy one. No Honda diesels, no BMW diesels, no Toyota diesels. Where is the payoff? A forum of Tacoma enthusiasts who all want one? Big deal. In the grand scheme of things, Toyota like any other manufacturer needs to see dollars, and North America still isn't behind diesel power enough on a mainstream level to make it worthwhile.

Products Discussed in

To Top