Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snow Chains

Old 11-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Snow Chains: Parents Only. Please.

So I tire shop just told me you can't use chains on the front tires, it will hit the brake lines. So I check the manual and sure enough, it says not to use chains on the front.

Is this really because it will hit the lines? Can I use chains on the front?

I need them on the front for off road.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
You're 2x4 correct? Put them on the rear tires, problem solved.

I've never heard of this before, I have heard members recommending to put chains on the front before the rear if you have a 4x4. But usually you won't need them anyways with a 4x4.

I use cables on my 2x4, and use them on the rear tires....work just fine, or you could use chains. Doesn't matter.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Resolve your questions by jacking up your truck, taking your chains and fitting them on the front wheels/tires. Rotate them. See if they hit something. Lower the truck back down, crawl under there and look and see if anything is hitting.

There you go. Now you know.

Different cable chains are going to fit differently depending on the size range of the cables, and what tires you're running. some will be very tight and may not come close to the brake (note spelling) calipers or lines. Others may be larger and hit something. Trial and error will tell you which you have.

On the subject of whether you should put them on the front (if you have a 4X4 of course)... personally I would put them on the back first because that's where you're going to lose traction first. Right? I don't off-road, but that seems logical in any situation. If I had 4 cable chains and a 4X4 though, I'd think you would get awesome traction if you chained up front and rear.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
2x4 is correct. The reason I need them on the front is descending down mountains on snow covered gravel roads.

There isn't a worse feeling in the world than sliding down hill without breaking or steering and 5ft on either side is a 100ft drop off on one side and rock wall on the other... I did it last night
Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #5

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
Resolve your questions by jacking up your truck, taking your chains and fitting them on the front wheels/tires. Rotate them. See if they hit something. Lower the truck back down, crawl under there and look and see if anything is hitting.

There you go. Now you know.

Different cable chains are going to fit differently depending on the size range of the cables, and what tires you're running. some will be very tight and may not come close to the brake (note spelling) calipers or lines. Others may be larger and hit something. Trial and error will tell you which you have.

On the subject of whether you should put them on the front (if you have a 4X4 of course)... personally I would put them on the back first because that's where you're going to lose traction first. Right? I don't off-road, but that seems logical in any situation. If I had 4 cable chains and a 4X4 though, I'd think you would get awesome traction if you chained up front and rear.
Thank you for the easy break on the brakes. Its been corrected.

If it comes down to it, I might give that a shot. Just being out of town I would like to avoid that much effort in a hotel parking lot.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #6

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
In hindsight, my title should have been, Snow Chains: Parents Only Please.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I havent used fr and rr chains at once in yeeaars , when i did 4wd wasnt needed , the chains had a lot of traction....... gravel rd. with 14"+ snow and a 3/4 ton with mostly H.T. tires. check the tires at full suspension compression and turned lock to lock to see if they will hit the lines , also consider , if reasonable , narrower tires that might not hit.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Chains are always recommended to go on the drive tires of your vehicle. Rear for RWD, and Front for FWD, or Rear for 4x4/AWD.

I understand that you want to have positive steering grip, but I would only recommend putting them on the rear. If you must, then do a slow controlled test of if they will hit anything, or look at purchasing low profile ones, and talk to the sales clerk/shop you're purchasing them from to explain you need ones that would clear the brake lines.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
There have been a couple of people over on TN running chains. Barmour's been in your situation and found a solution that allowed him to run chains. He initially traded in his '06 for a Frontier because he couldn't get chains on the Taco. Then a year later he dumped the Frontier and went back to a Taco. He ended up buying the FJ rims which gave him enough clearance to run his chains on all 4 wheels. Can't remember who the other person was that also was running chains...I think they were doing so around Mammoth or Big Bear, but just don't remember for sure.

Page 3 of this thread (I think I'm linking directly to pg 3) has barmour's solution to his problem.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...=163282&page=3