1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2007 Tacoma has been stolen and i need help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Duck760, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Dragging it with a car alarm will cause the alarm to go off if it has a motion sensor.

2. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    And if it's a tow truck doing the dragging would anyone even notice other than to laugh ? It not like somebody will call it in and being at a movie house it makes it chances are that the owner is preoccupied and will not hear it.

And even if the owner did notice they will get the story well we got a call to pick it up. Maybe we have the wrong one. Or pay us a 100 bucks and we'll put it back down. It's called shopping. Alarms are next to useless unless the phone in it's location. At least then you know were to send the police that is until they find that part and disable it. I think what they do it's just move it and if nobody finds it fast then it must not have a tracking device so they go get it again then strip it. That way it protects the chop shop location.

3. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    And is ignored.

4. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Presumably you are at home and know what your alarm sounds like.

5. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    LoJack.

6. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    or a good ear and a .12 gauge lol

7. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    Sorry to hear you're going through this. Don't waste your time looking for your truck. Assuming you have full insurance coverage, do you really want it back after some d-bag messed it up?

Get your settlement from insurance, buy another truck, and hope the cops catch the a-hole. Again, sorry to hear. It sucks.

8. Jan 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    RAMZAK

RAMZAK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD 4-DR PreRunner
    Assuming you have full coverage insurance.....

Who cares...

Get a check from the insurance company and go get you a new one!!

9. Jan 5, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Drag it up in an all aluminum box trailer, no radio signal will get out, and you can take it anywhere.

Build a wood frame with metal screen around it inside the chop shop and it's equally silent.

It's called a Faraday cage. Wrap your cell phone in a piece of aluminum screen and you'll see what I mean...the bars go to 0. I've no idea if they do it, but it sure makes sense to do something like that if you're in the business for the time you catch one with lojack or onstar.

Protecting it with a 12ga is a nice idea but as someone else found you can't be standing over it 24/7. He was in a movie theater and would not likely have heard it. If somebody wants your vehicle, they will get it.

10. Jan 5, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Well putting a cover over it containing metal would do it also.

Don't seem people notice tow trucks stealing cars and trucks anyway. Best is the bold right out in the open method cause it draws no attention.

They caught a company near here years ago doing it but they sure got away with it for a long time. Years. Who knows how many they stole.

These cars and trucks if they are ever found end up being shipped overseas to buyers there.

They find sea cans stuffed full of cars and trucks all the time around here.

11. Jan 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    snowmansgarage

snowmansgarage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad AC Tacoma
    Believe me I know that and that's how my '85 was taken. If thieves want something bad enough they will get it but the goal is to get them to move onto an easier target. The upside to modern deterrent systems is that you get rather quick notification of something going on with your vehicle which allows you to deal with the thieves directly.

12. Jan 6, 2011 at 4:39 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    That's works against the opportunist thief who'll smash a window and spend 30 seconds to a minute with alarm blaring pulling at wires under dash or under hood to try and silence it and then run off. Or maybe just take the thing he saw inside that interested him... purse, iPod, cell, laptop, whatever. So the alarms may stop him but then he's gone before anyone can respond in time, leaving hundreds or even thousands in damage.

The guy who wants your truck though? he's ready for alarms and has a plan. I'd bet OP's very nicely set up truck was most likely just that...a targeted theft for a druggie in Mexico who's tooling around Baja dunes in it right now. That sux bad to think about.

13. Jan 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    ZenkaiTaco

ZenkaiTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD OR
    2 way pager alarm. I have one, and when my key fob goes crazy so do I. They won't have the time to tow it thats for sure.

14. Jan 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    hahahaha....that reminded me of a friend who was hiking up a mountain trail in El Paso, TX...when up on top you can look down on the road and see your car parked there. Any body who knows El Paso and Franklin Mt. St. Park probably knows where it is, right on a fairly heavily traveled road. Heavily traveled in midday that is.

This was an early morning hike and he got to sit on top of the mountain with his GF watching some guys break in to his car and rip off his stereo, speakers, CD's (yeah, it was quite a while ago) strip his wheels, tools and some other stuff from the trunk. All he could do was watch, being maybe 2 hrs up trail and they took all of 5 minutes to get everything. I'm telling ya, car thieves are fast.

When he got back it was completely trashed...you can imagine: windows broke, dash ripped out and harness cut to shreds, doors and package shelf hacked up removing speakers...sitting on the rotors.

Fat lot of good a thousand dollar alarm would have done, and he always carried protection and wouldn't be afraid to use it. Point is: they don't pick a place where you can get back quickly, they ain't gonna be so dumb and accommodate your plans.

Products Discussed in

To Top