Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How did you paint the t-rex eyelids?

Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Michael
MMazz365's Tacoma Gallery
How did you paint the t-rex eyelids?

I'm looking to get t-rex eyelids for my 2010 tacoma white, and it says they only come in primer. how can i paint them to match exactly?????
Old 11-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest doing as I did- and take them to a paint/body shop that can do it. It only cost me like $25.00 and they are PERFECT. My truck is silver. I suck at DIY.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
 what he said + I hear people have trouble with the color match on S white
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
thanks guys, im probably just going to do that then
Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Professionally.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwaterski View Post
I would suggest doing as I did- and take them to a paint/body shop that can do it. It only cost me like $25.00 and they are PERFECT. My truck is silver. I suck at DIY.
I went to two local body shops today which i'm friends with both owners and they each said it would be around 50 EACH to get painted... thats mainly just matierals, not even labor.... i might just try krylon fusion and clear coat... im at a stand still
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Get a flat rate box ($5), send it to one of these people that got theirs done for $25. For a grand total of $30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMazz365 View Post
I went to two local body shops today which i'm friends with both owners and they each said it would be around 50 EACH to get painted... thats mainly just matierals, not even labor.... i might just try krylon fusion and clear coat... im at a stand still
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
its easy to color match the Super White, however the clear coat is where i had the problem and made the eyelids a little off color.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Now I did my grille surround, let paint coats sit overnight then cleared it but everytime it wrinkled. So its just paint and seems a hair off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaco View Post
its easy to color match the Super White, however the clear coat is where i had the problem and made the eyelids a little off color.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Several coats of paint followed by several coats of clear with about 30 minutes dry time in between. Color match is perfect. Paint job is not, but it's damn close. It's really not difficult. If I can do it, you can do it.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
EMS:
HOw do you feel about krylon fusion paint??
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
I think Fusion is for painting over finished plastic surfaces. Since the eyelids are primed, you dont have to use Fusion. You should be able to use any normal spray paint. But if you it want it color matched, you'll need to buy some like the link above. Also I think some auto parts store can make a can for you if you give them the paint code.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Autozone carries the Dupont color match for that truck. If that particular store you go to doesnt have it they can get it shipped there from their hub store, takes a couple hours or overnight depending on time of day. I work part time for them so I checked already. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my08yoyo View Post
Autozone carries the Dupont color match for that truck. If that particular store you go to doesnt have it they can get it shipped there from their hub store, takes a couple hours or overnight depending on time of day. I work part time for them so I checked already. Good luck.
Its too yellow. Not a good match.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
You could try my method......

My truck was in an accident and had over $21,000 in damages, including the entire front end.

I asked the body shop to paint mine when they reassembled the truck. They did it at no cost.

Although it worked out nicely for me, I do not reccomend this method.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
You could try my method......

My truck was in an accident and had over $21,000 in damages, including the entire front end.

I asked the body shop to paint mine when they reassembled the truck. They did it at no cost.

Although it worked out nicely for me, I do not reccomend this method.
haha yeah i think ill try to match it before i go to that extent haha
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
I think Fusion is for painting over finished plastic surfaces. Since the eyelids are primed, you dont have to use Fusion. You should be able to use any normal spray paint. But if you it want it color matched, you'll need to buy some like the link above. Also I think some auto parts store can make a can for you if you give them the paint code.
i think i might try an agway near my house and see if they can do anything... whats the paint code ?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I got a can of paint code color matched paint in a rattle can from NAPA for around $18, then bought a can of clear coat.

Went to town on my grille in my garage. Took a day or two, but came out just fine.