1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 denso and 3 ngk spark plugs any clues to y?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kauai808boy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Dec 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Um... you make it sound like NGK and Denso specifically designed those plugs for the Tacomas only. They don't.. Toyota just buys a crap-ton, a machine gaps them and they go to the dealers packaged as Toyota brand. I can gap my own plugs thank you very much.. for much cheaper. Couple bucks.. I think I can get NGKs for like... $4-6.. from something like AutoZone or Advance Auto. Same plugs from the dealer.. $13 a piece.. for gapping? Go fly a kite. :)

I've seen very shitty aftermarket that is still expensive. Buy trusted brands.. sometimes the better stuff costs less... why? Cause it's used more. And you can buy Denso, etc. from auto parts stores.. Very little of what the dealer sells is dealer only, minus Toyota specific parts. (Usually the electronics/computer related stuff and a few engine/interior things.)

2. Dec 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

True, brand is important.

I will say this though: A quality brand may be priced fairly, but it will never be priced cheaply ;)

3. Dec 2, 2010 at 2:36 AM
    kauai808boy

kauai808boy [OP] Member

Member:
    icon/fox 3inch lift, flow-master super 40, jba shorty headers
    mortuusangelus right on effin amazing i did the same thing got the same stock oem plugs from autozone way cheaper and already pre gaped to spec and installed them my self saved a crap load of money then going to the dealer

plus to me i dont really care what brand or type of spark plug is in my truck as long as my truck starts everyday and is good to go then it dont matter

also i always check one or 2 of the spark plugs every 3000 miles to make sure thats its running properly and making sure that my fuel is burning at the normal level also the tip and cap of the plugs are perfectly fine and is the proper color of what it should be

4. Dec 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    choprpilot76

choprpilot76 choprpilot76

Member:
    Fort Irwin, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD DC LB
    UDR Fuel Pump and Filter
    I just replaced my spark plugs at home today and I had the same factory issue, 3 NGK and 3 Denso. I just bought this truck 6 months ago and this means the last owner never had them changed. The truck has 71,850 miles on it as of today when I changed them and boy did they need them. The gap is supposed to be .039 to .043, they were at .066 and scorched badly. I took it on a test drive afterwards and WOW, what a difference. I put new NGK Laser Iridium plugs, ILFR6T11 (4904), and because the old ones were so bad and so old, it made a huge difference. The truck has a shite load more pep and acceleration when you press the gas, it gets up and goes a hell of a lot quicker. A job well worth it, can't wait to see if it helps the MPG at all.

5. Dec 18, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    Ive worked in the automotive field for 10 years and I have always used factory parts. Never had a car leave me on the side of the road. Thats just my .02

6. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    this same thing happened to me...did anything ever effect your ignition coils? i found carbon build up on my coils and i think it may be part of because my plugs were so worn out

7. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Went to my local Toyota dealer a few days ago to get a set of plugs. I mentioned the two different kinds and he gave me 6 Denso plugs and said there ya go, here's your plugs. Said he knows about it and they don't even stock the NGK plugs, it doesn't matter. I said sounds great, done. Never gave it a second thought. ;) Oh, and they were $3.95 (Canadian) each, all in their little red Toyota Genuine Parts boxes.

8. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    True, but I'll take fair over cheap if it works. :)

:thumbsup:

Damned Canadians.. :D

9. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    I tried different plugs and the truck ran like crap, switched back to the denso and running like a beast again (... and yes, pulled out the others a couple of times, checked, gaps, checked they were in correct, etc.). I would recommend sticking with the denso's, I'm not an expert, but tried others with not so stellar results.

10. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    UM NO!! :)

I use NGK used them in all of my cars from my WRX to my tacoma.

11. Dec 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    I've got NGKs in mine currently... I'll use either them or Denso... anyone who puts a Champion in a Tacoma should be shot, stabbed, hung, unmanned and shat upon.. :D

12. Nov 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    PeteF

PeteF New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Milton, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    I just changed my plugs at 38,000 miles - I was thumbing through the manual and it said to repalce plugs at 30,000 miles, that sounds ridiculous. The three Denso plugs on the passenger side had gaps of 0.044, 0.043 & 0.042. The three NGK plugs on the driver side had gaps of 0.049, 0.051 & 0.050. The three NGK plugs seem to have worn down faster. I replaced the plugs with six Denso plugs.

13. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    mardoqueo galindo

mardoqueo galindo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marcos
    socal
    Vehicle:
    08 preruner
    toyota 20" wheels,borla double tip exaust,running boards,K&N air filter.
    you can go ither way i dosen't matter ,i used Denso

Products Discussed in

To Top