Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3 denso and 3 ngk spark plugs any clues to y?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
kauai808boy is on a distinguished road

kauai808boy's Tacoma Gallery
3 denso and 3 ngk spark plugs any clues to y?

does anyone kno y toyota use 3 denso and 3 ngk i asked the guys at toyota parts and they dont kno either but its wats there suppose to use wen replacing plugs because i plan on putting better plugs in my tacoma and was just gona put all the same brand but if toyota does this with the stock truck then it must be for some brilliant reason does anybody know anything

any ideas ?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
I have wondered as well- Maybe it has to do with contracts Toyota has with the manufacturers. They might have an agreement to install 50/50. I have heard either set of plugs works fine.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
prob assembled in different areas there all like that even some of the first gen too... i went alll ngk
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC, someone posted an actual "reason" of some sort explaining this seemingly silly shit but cannot remember what it was.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
they come that way from factory.
Yes, but the reason is......???????
Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
i heard from the dealer they put them in that way for the engines break in process, then at 30k service they switch to irridium denso. i thought the same thing, come to find out mine hadnt been changed til 90k when i did the service
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The spark has nothing to do with the break in. Nor does the dealer switch to iridium plugs at 30k miles. The Manual calls for a nickle/copper plug. The only reason I (and some friends) have comeup with as to why they (Toyota) does this, is because one side of the engine requires a plug with less resistance, so to save a few bucks, they throw in different plugs on one side. Maybe only a few cents savings, but times a few hundred thousand vehicles, the savings most certainly adds up.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Which leads to the next question........Why would the engine need less resistance on one side?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Which leads to the next question........Why would the engine need less resistance on one side?
Could be timing control or EMI prevention. Kinda like how surround sound systems delay signals to the close speakers so the distant speakers have time to catch up (on the order of milliseconds..so not a huge deal)
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
not saying this is the reason, but from an economic perspective, having multiple suppliers is a good thing. a few years ago a japanese piston ring manufacturer was affected by an earthquake and a bunch of auto plants had to shut down because they didn't receive piston rings. having two vendors is a smart idea because lets say there was a delivery problem on the ngk side, there is still a supply of denso allowing production to continue.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
DR1V3RX is on a distinguished road
DR1V3RX's Tacoma Gallery
NGK irridium Spark plug rock! jejejeje, combined with NGK performance wiring...
Engine will run smoother and you will not need to gun it when getting in the HWY.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i have a friend that is an engineer with the tacoma group. he said he works on the interior, but his friends are in the engine dept. i asked him when he came into town for thanksgiving. he promised to ask around, and hopefully come back with a sensible answer. he flew back to san antonio yesterday.

i'll post up if/when i find out.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Don't think about it too much. You might hurt yourself.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
There are lots of threads on this. Just the way it is.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
i heard from the dealer they put them in that way for the engines break in process, then at 30k service they switch to irridium denso. i thought the same thing, come to find out mine hadnt been changed til 90k when i did the service
NO NO NO do not put those plugs in! Just put the standard type in. Get them from Toyota. They are already gapped. Worked for Toyota as a service advisor for years. USE TOYOTA PARTS!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerussell610 View Post
NO NO NO do not put those plugs in! Just put the standard type in. Get them from Toyota. They are already gapped. Worked for Toyota as a service advisor for years. USE TOYOTA PARTS!!!
meh a plugs a plug. As long as you use the same type and they are gapped properly you're fine. You dont HAVE to buy your plugs from toyota. I have heard of some problems with the iridiums in the v6 though.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #19
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
meh a plugs a plug. As long as you use the same type and they are gapped properly you're fine. You dont HAVE to buy your plugs from toyota. I have heard of some problems with the iridiums in the v6 though.

Agreed, the plus aren't made by toyota, they are made by NGK and Denso...whats the difference in buying the same plug from an auto parts store vs. the dealership....oh wait I know...THE SAME PLUG costs much more at the dealership.

I like to use mostly OEM parts when I work on vehicles however I am not going to get ass-raped by a dealership when I can get THE SAME PART somewhere else for much cheaper. Not to mention our parts department at my local dealer closes at 6pm which means I have to leave work early to get there before they close if I need a part.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #20
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i have a friend that is an engineer with the tacoma group. he said he works on the interior, but his friends are in the engine dept. i asked him when he came into town for thanksgiving. he promised to ask around, and hopefully come back with a sensible answer. he flew back to san antonio yesterday.

i'll post up if/when i find out.
I'd like to hear what he has to say. My dad's a retired Toyota mechanic and he said all the V6's in every Toyota model came that way even in the 90's. So it goes back at least a couple of decades now. He said it had something to do with supplier contracts and figured it was a sure way to guarantee they used an equal number from both. But I don't know where he heard it from and whether that is true or not.