Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating Spray on Toyota OEM Tube Steps

Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
joe812 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
joe812's Tacoma Gallery
Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating Spray on Toyota OEM Tube Steps

I am thinking of spraying my Toyota OEM Tube Steps with Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=367

Any advice on preparing the steps besides removing the plastic caps and making sure it's nice and clean? Do they need to be sanded as well?

Anyone have any experience with this Rustoleum product?

I called a local Line-X store and they quoted (ballpark) $250-$400. That's not gonna happen. I would ditch the steps but they are functional for my wife, dog, etc.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd rough 'em up a little bit to make sure it sticks. When you clean them, wipe them down with rubbing alcohol to remove any oil residues or wax.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
fatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to behold
fatsac's Tacoma Gallery
Same issue here. I like the OEM steps but hate the color. They're at the powdercoat shop now since painting will chip too often, IMO. $175 for the pair and aftermarket TRD skidplate.
Regarding the step pads, I'm planning to break the clips and glue the pieces back in place. There is no way in hell anyone could get to all those clips. Some good gorilla glue should work. I hope!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsac View Post
Same issue here. I like the OEM steps but hate the color. They're at the powdercoat shop now since painting will chip too often, IMO. $175 for the pair and aftermarket TRD skidplate.
Regarding the step pads, I'm planning to break the clips and glue the pieces back in place. There is no way in hell anyone could get to all those clips. Some good gorilla glue should work. I hope!
Hilti makes a very nice construction epoxy that is used to hold in relocated anchor bolts... If Gorilla glue doesn't work, that stuff certainly well.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
joe812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I had some issues with that Rustolieum crap. A couple cans didn't work so I had to return them then it all started flaking off from rock chips within a couple months.

Thanks for the pic. Maybe I'll look into Herculiner.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
fatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to behold
fatsac's Tacoma Gallery
Just found out replacement pads are $50 each. OUCH!!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe812 View Post
Thanks for the pic. Maybe I'll look into Herculiner.
You may also want to look into rubberized coating spray, I have used it once and it worked good. Good on price too.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsac View Post
Haha, yeah, thats the stuff. We had to verify the strength of that stuff so we tested it by drilling an anchor bolt into a concrete footing and pulled the bolt to 80,000lbs. Stuff still didn't let go! It's obviously overkill and I wouldn't use that except for a last resort. It's expensive but it certainly works well!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I used that rustoleum bedliner on my grill and Nfab light bar and it came out great! I would way rather spend 8 bucks on a can of this that 100+ on some line x that I cant touch up.
check my build for pics.
this page has pics of the texture of the rustoleum.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...b-build-5.html
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
28Gauge's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine about 3 months ago and I am quite happy with the result. Mine were that ugly light gray color and they just didn't look right on the truck. I took them off the truck, removed the end caps and sanded them down to bare metal. I used painters tape to mask off the step pads. The Rustoleum coats well, but the spray nozzles tend to clog up very quickly. I don't have any chips yet, but I don't go off road much and I still have my mud flaps on.

Also, what little spots that might get missed with the spray can be touched up with one of those cheap, disposable foam brushes from Home Depot. I just sprayed some of the Rustoleum on a piece of cardboard and dabbed the foam brush in it and then touched up what was missed.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
joe812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Gauge View Post
I did mine about 3 months ago and I am quite happy with the result. Mine were that ugly light gray color and they just didn't look right on the truck. I took them off the truck, removed the end caps and sanded them down to bare metal. I used painters tape to mask off the step pads. The Rustoleum coats well, but the spray nozzles tend to clog up very quickly. I don't have any chips yet, but I don't go off road much and I still have my mud flaps on.

Also, what little spots that might get missed with the spray can be touched up with one of those cheap, disposable foam brushes from Home Depot. I just sprayed some of the Rustoleum on a piece of cardboard and dabbed the foam brush in it and then touched up what was missed.
Thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for!