1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Program Doors to Auto-Lock in Drive?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ltalbott, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    ltalbott

ltalbott [OP] New Member

Member:
    austin, tx
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner
    Hi -

Does anyone know of a way to program a 2010 Tacoma's doors to automatically lock when the truck is put in Drive?

I asked the service guys at the Toyota dealership and they said it cannot be done...

Right now, any doors that you've unlocked, stay unlocked...this is more for safety concerns. :)

Thanks!

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    three west

three west Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    UP MI
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB TRD Sport
  3. Nov 17, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    i once paid vw $50 to remove that code from my passat. if i get in and want em locked, its a button push. if im in a accident and NEED em UN-locked, im pretty much screwed. just my opinion. your injuries may vary.

edit: that said, im sure it can be done. just a matter of talent and cash, even if toyota says no. they also say no to all other mods which is why you guys do em yerselves, right?

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    WABOOM

WABOOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota yeah sure ya betcha
    Vehicle:
    2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
    debadged
    I always HATED that feature in my previous truck (Silverado)

5. Nov 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There's got to be a way to do it, just a matter of cost and/or programming. Sounds like it could be done with a relay or two and possibly a solenoid. You'd need a fairly detailed wiring diagram of your truck to know where to connect everything... It would be a nice feature, I liked it on past vehicles but I don't know if it'd be worth the hassle.

6. Nov 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    If you really really really want the option, you could always go for an aftermarket alarm. Most have the option to lock the doors when you start the vehicle.

7. Nov 17, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    My Lexus has this auto lock feature and I'm so used to it that when I drive my Tacoma, I keep forgetting to lock my doors.

8. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Think its standard or dot law that they unlock in the event of a crash. If you're too unconscious to unlock them and they're not smashed shut, what does it matter anyway.

9. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    swear there's a sticky that says it is available.

10. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab

Kinda pisses me off as well...

11. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    my understanding is that a locked door in a crash is safer due to less ejection potential of the occupants by keeping the door shut. Of course, my understanding is sometimes warped and twisted :D

12. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    you could be right about the dot law but im not aware of it or if our trucks work this way or not. im clueless. i did see a add about some car company workin on this along with shuttin the car off and hittin the hazards in a crash. probobly plugged into the airbags.

my point was if yer knocked out or too injured to hit the locks, someone has a much better shot at doin it from the outside without the need for jaws. this makes me feel tons safer, even over havin a door peeled off and the seemingly lower risk of ejection mentioned before. like i said, my opinion based on some experience with extractions of drivers.

13. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    Great point. I have no experience, so I'll have to trust yours! Unlocked from now on for me. :)

14. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    It would be a nice feature to some people but come on, its just a push of a button.:cool: I always lock my doors wherever I go and its a habit for me, just like I always buckle my seat belt.

15. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    This feature is about as useless as a remote for a car stereo. It is not like the lock button is far away from you. If you want it locked than just do it yourself. Make a habit out of it. All these fancy features that cars have now days are just making people lazy. And I am not calling people that like these features because I am one of them. Some of them are good and some are just to sell more cars. That is one of the reasons why I love this truck. It is just simply a truck first.

16. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Amen brotha!!!:thumbsup:

17. Nov 18, 2010 at 12:32 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    That's not a well informed decision AT ALL.

I do like the lack of bells and whistles. But I haven't had to lock the doors on my car for years and never remember now. I've only locked them a couple times. Furthermore.. For those of you that haven't owned a modern car lately.. the doors unlock when you stop (turn off or put in park), so its an invisible safety feature, like side impact re-enforcement. Just good stuff all around.

Locking doors reduces incidents of doors popping open. Ejection is the best way to die in an accident. Don't take my word for it. Its tested fact. Those of us with extended cabs are driving cars that are what auto locks were made for; Seat belts attached to doors (horrible idea which apparently we forgot about since the 80s).

Saying that locked doors cause injury or death is the same as saying helmets and seat belts are dangerous because uncle ray got ejected from a jeep just before it flew off a cliff into a volcano and lived. It can not be backed up by any reasonable facts. Get your facts from something other than anecdotes and hearsay.

ANd for some hearsay. Having been first responder (lived at a horrible intersection in the country and a short lived volunteer EMT job) on literally dozens of accidents from fender benders to a few fatalities. Rarely was the door ever able to be opened after the accident, and in most the driver should just sit there till someone comes to help them. they were always disoriented if not completely unconscious, of course frequently assisted with being high or drunk (heading up to the lake) which was what had them blow the stop sign into a 60+mph highway in the first place. If you go in the water, you're supposed to take your time getting out anyway right? So what's the hurry with locks.

Its also a good way to avoid getting mugged at intersections, if you're afraid of that type of thing.

Also never saw an accident that needed hydraulic cutters to open the door. The doors (locked or not) were always opened with a crow bar. (a real crow bar not a demo bar we didn't have a jaws in our Rural FD.
    Don't mean to rant.. but I'm not a pacifist and safety is a sticky point of mine. Kill yourself if you want, but I won't watch people tell others "come in the water's fine".

orezona likes this.
  18. Nov 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I got the feature as a bi-product of installing a Viper remote starter. Whenever I move the shifter from park the doors lock, when I switch off the ignition they open.

19. Nov 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    easy tiger! i never said a locked door would hurt or even kill ya nor did i say i wanted some yahoo to pull my busted ass out. now in my case, i have a dbl cab with the belts attatched to th B and C pillars but ya make a good argument about ac's and car jackings too. on top of that, if ya read the studies i think youll see most ejections are caused by a lack of seatbelt use on top of open doors and in cars w/o airbags. ya made a few assumptions and spun things to help yer point of view which only muddies the water references ya like so much. lets get back to a discussion rather that a fight. ya dont have to agree with me but ya damn well better still love me. im a pretty fun guy to talk to even when im wrong. still pals?

by the way, ive got 22 years in emergency response and driver extraction with folks like SCCA, NASCAR, IMSA, FIA, CART (or whatever they call it this week), NHRA and a shit ton more. even some time on a FD in a rural town much like you. not very 'short lived' although im no longer doin it. i saw 1 too many bad things i couldnt help with (trapped driver in a fire) and never got over it. keep in mind not everyone drove a tube frame car w/ 6 point belts and peel away bodywork.

20. Nov 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This is actually the only reason I lock my doors actually... Call me paranoid but there are some pretty shady neighborhoods in and around Boston so why risk it? Good to know there are other legit benefits to locking it up.

Products Discussed in

To Top