Passenger SEAT BELT Locked

Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
abp5
abp5 is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantry
Name: Ben
abp5's Tacoma Gallery
Passenger SEAT BELT Locked

I recently bought a used 2008 tacoma trd, and the pass front seat belt would not come out and was locked. I figured it just may be jammed inside so I took the seat belt assembly out and did not see anything that would cause it to be locked/jammed.

Does anyone know of a way to get it unlocked, or am I just going to have to get a new one.

thanks for your help
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You weren't by any chance, on a steep driveway? Steep inclines will lock the seatbelts.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds to me that the retractor might be bad. You def want to get it replaced. Where did you buy the truck from?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
abp5
abp5's Tacoma Gallery
It has 83k miles so it is out of warranty,
No steep inclines,
bought it used from an individual.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it's broken and needs to be replaced then.

You can try and find one at a wrecking yard if you want to save a buck.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
abp5
abp5's Tacoma Gallery
well I was hoping not to have to buy one and that there may be a way to reset it, but it sounds like I will be buying another one
Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Have you retracted it all the way? If you pull it out all the way, then let it back in, it should be in lock/ratchet mode (like for use with infant car seats). This should be the case with all the belts except the driver's seat belt. So if it went into lock/ratchet mode, you have to retract it all the way (and I do mean all the way) for it to release and exit the lock mode. When you took it apart, did you feed more belt into it to release it?

My daughter was too old for a car seat by the time we bought our Tacoma, so I haven't tested this feature out to see if the seat belts still do this. I'm assuming nothing's changed though.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
abp5
abp5's Tacoma Gallery
when I took it out I tried that it would not pull out but would continue to retract in hold if I feed it.

Does anyone know if the tacoma seat belt cross refrences with any other toyota model seat belts or is it model specific?