1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo upgrade

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaredmmc99, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Oct 29, 2006 at 3:08 PM
    jaredmmc99

jaredmmc99 [OP] Rule 76. No excuses, play like a champ.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off road Black
    I heard that the 07 Tacoma has un upgraded stereo head unit.But when I looked at them at the dealership I didn't notice a difference. Is this Just an area specific stereo change or is it just a rumor.? Also what stereo would you recomend as an aftermarket upgrade?

2. Nov 1, 2006 at 10:28 AM
    fslaugts

fslaugts Member

Member:
    I replaced my speakers in my new truck(06). Was not much improvement. I am also looking to replace the head unit. I may wait a while because I am not sure of which stereo to buy. I think all year tacoma's have the same head unit 05-07.

3. Nov 12, 2006 at 9:00 AM
    Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used to have the 05 Tacoma SR5 and traded it in for an 07 TRD Sport 4x4. The radio in the Sport comes with 6 disc CD changer along with an 8in subwoofer. Honestly, besides the changer, the sound sounds the same; bad. I recomend getting an alpine head unit because even with their lower end one, it sounds great. If you just want to change the speakers and head unit, you can go to Crutchfield.com and get the CDE9846 for $150. That includes you wire harness and install kit and usually free shipping. Can't Beat that. But if you are like me, I would get the CDA-9856. That allows for more control when adding external amps and component speakers. the 9856 is the best one from Alpine without buying the top of the line. The good thing about Toyota is that it has the Double Din opening which allows for either single din or double din radios to fit. Check out the AlpineIVA-W200 at Crutchfield.com.

4. Nov 24, 2006 at 11:34 PM
    TacoKing

TacoKing Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Silver DCab with TLC
    I just got the Kenwood D-din Excelsior DPX-701. Wow! What an absolutely amazing stereo. It plays MP3, WMA and AAC files via CD or USB. It looks fantastic and has tremendous functionality (I won't waste time listing all it's bells and whistles because there are a lot). Here's a link which gives a fairly good description of what you can expect: http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0608_cae_kenwood_excelon_dpx701_media_controller/

I paid $264.95 via Salectronics on ebay and what a deal. Also purchased a double din kit via Scosche...on ebay (yes, I love ebay) for $24.95. Downfall is that the kit is not an EXACT match. It is gray and awfully close but it is NOT the shiny, dimpled silver the stock stereo is housed in. However, 30 minutes after you install it you will pay it no mind. It looks great and sounds phenomenal! Any help ordering, installing, searching or anything else related please post and I will help however I can.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I just love resurrecting the oldest thread in the sub-forum.

Products Discussed in

To Top