1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need opinions is this a SCAM?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jcas, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    until the money gets deposited into a fake eBay never to be seen again

SCAM for sure

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i never knew you could pay through ebay like that. As far as i knew it was all through paypal.

Even if nothing happened hed still have your name and address. Not good if you ask me

3. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
  4. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    wow my uncle in Nigeria died and gave me 1 million dollars and now this offer came up? It must be lucky to join TW!

5. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    a name and address isnt hard to come by now a days. i bet i could probably find yours, just from the info on your TW profile, if i really wanted to.

6. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    tiresmokintacoma

tiresmokintacoma Bean&Cheese Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    VIC
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR Prior: 99LX470/05DCOR97LX450/914R
    Basic
    I effing hate scams. I got scammed once. but not from CL. maybe I should start a scam thread to see who all has been scammed...

7. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    Fuck with him. Give him nothing but keep him on a reel. So fun.

8. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Definitely a scam.

Someone in the military going away and wanting to sell their truck quick surely wouldn't do it via Craigslist, and would DEFINITELY not be willing to ship it very far. They would be looking for a quick LOCAL sale, face to face, probably with cash or bank draft, just to be able to get rid of it sooner.

Besides, I didn't know ebay offered a Third Party bank. Why not just use a REAL bank?

9. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    SD2011Taco

SD2011Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5V6 4x4 Grey TRD Offroad Overland Setup
    3" Lift, Lights, CB, Yellow-Top, CBI Bed Rack, Tepui RTT, Shovel/Axe Mount, Maxtrax, ARB OBA, 33" KO2, Sliders
  10. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    chrisx1

chrisx1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 4cyl 4x4 5sp
    15x8 Pro Comp Wheels w/4" backspacing, 31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Bilstein 5100's set to 2.5", URD Short Throw Shifter kit, URD rear O2 sensor simulator
    scamolicious

scamiferous

SCAM

11. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    No doubt, it's a scam.

12. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    well.. I did sell my last 88 rover to a guy in iraq. But he got a buddy to actually come out and vouch for him and eventually do the transaction. If they were serious, there are people that handle this type of transaction.

As far as asking who they are, what their name is, where they work. Well, I wouldn't count on that. One can not always give out that information. Ya can't always let people know where you are or who you are. Hell, no one should be telling you they're deploying in the first place.

But you can tell from their horrible english skills.. not so much the grammar but their inappropriate use of language that it is a scam from a foreigner.

13. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Seller named Ryan Bowers? truck a 2004 access cab or double cab? White, with Florida tags? I ask because that bs that you are getting from that mental midget is the same I got from this Ryan Bowers guy. Except he told me that his kid was killed in Iraq and he just wanted to get rid of it. Played the whole I'm here and the truck is over these and ebay can hold the money.

The ebay thing gets people thinking it's legit as ebay would protect you if it went bad. Problem is that ebay will not care to get involved with a sale outside of ebay that they didn't profit from so you will get screwed out of your loot.

14. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    waterman

waterman Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Shore MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd sport dc
    BHLM, WeatherTechs, Grillcraft
    OP try autotrader.com you can look up new or used easily

15. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Wait, here is the original email corespondance between myself and the scammer...

I wrote...
    On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM, XXXX XXXXXXXX <XXXX@XXXXXXX.com> wrote:
    Is the truck listed at reachoo.com still available?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

And then he wrote...

On Sep 18, 2010, at 9:09, Ryan Bowers <bowersr22@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
    My name is Ryan Bowers, I am emailing you regarding the 2004 Toyota Tacoma CREW CAB SR5 that I have for sale.
    The truck is in perfect condition , with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever, never been involved in any accidents. The interior looks great (NO SMOKING). It has 91,490 miles ,automatic transmission. I have a clear and clean title for it , no liens or loans ready to be signed and notarized on your name.
    I'm selling my son's truck , who died in Iraq two months ago and I want to get rid of it asap because the sight of it makes me think of him often and often and the pain is too great . Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same (selling the car of your dead son, no offense) !!!
    As you probably noticed , the final price that i want for this truck is $2.850 if you will buy it today or tomorrow.
    Let me know where are you located and any other details you need about it.
    Thank you,

Ryan

P.S : here is a link with more photos: http://yfrog.com/0379280806jx
    and the link with
    Carfax report:
    http://ryan-pics.i8.com/Carfax.html

To which I replied...

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM, XXXX XXXXXXX <XXX@XXXXXX.com> wrote:
    Ryan,

I'm located in the St. Louis metro east (Scott AFB) area and can be reached via the following number to determine the most convenient time to come and see the truck.

618-XXX-XXXX

Best wishes,
    XXXX

Sent from my iPhone

Which then netted me this email instead of a phone call...

Date: September 18, 2010 11:35:37 CDT
    Hello again,

I`m located in Lacey,WA (the truck is here with me) right now because i got a new job here,the thing is i`m very busy and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why i gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner (on my cost). I will make the deal only to eBay. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 3 days testing period after delivery. During that 3 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested in buying it so I can ask eBay to send you the details on how this works. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay ( full name, full address and phone # ) so we can get things started.

Thanks
    Ryan

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You talking to the same person?

16. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
  17. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    TOTAL SCAM, Last I heard we were getting out of Iraq, not deploying to it.....Fuckin' thieving assholes will rip you blind bro'....

18. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
  19. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

Hi again,

Please take a few moments and read my email carefully, I know it is long, but I will explain all the details about the truck and the transaction. At the moment I'm making final preparations before deploying to Afghanistan with the U.S. Convoy .The truck is already at our Military Logistic Department form Fort Lauderdale, U.S. Army base in FL, crated and ready to go. The Logistic Department will deliver the truck to your home. The shipping is free for you. Since the truck is in a military base, with no access you can not go there and take it, only the Logistic Department can deliver it, because the truck is in their custody.Shipping may take anywhere between 2 to 3 business days depending on the destination. All documents you need for ownership, manuals and bill of sale will be provided along with the truck.For the payment I would like to use eBay as a third party. They will keep your money into a protection account until you get the truck and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you agree to keep the truck. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the truck before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 7 days to inspect the truck . If you decide not to keep it eBay will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back will be my concern. I think this is more than fair for both of us.
    I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will contact you about this. If you are interested in buying it just mail me back with:
    - Your Full Name - Required by eBay (You'll receive important guidelines + instructions from them.)
    - Your FUll Shipping Address and Phone Number - Required by the Logistic Department (They will call you with delivery/pickup instructions 1 day ahead so you can communicate what time schedule work best for your to receive the truck)
    Again I want to point out that because I am going to Afghanistan this sale is my top priority and I am looking after a fast transaction, with no delays. That is why I decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible.

Thanks, hope to do business with you soon!

Corporal
    Tracey Stan

20. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    HA HA HA HA!!! HA .. HA HA HA..
    Oh I'm in tears.. (partially due to the truth of it) ha .. out of iraq.. not in this lifetime.. seriously. You may outlive the occupation, but you will be too old to care or remember a pre-iraq time. We've been there since 91 and have done nothing but ramp up.

I'm not making a judgement on what should or could be done.. just saying.. even a decision to stop being world police would take a decade or two to slow down, much less turn around.

Products Discussed in

To Top