Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Will a 2011 with Satellite Prewire have the Antenna?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Hal9000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Hal
Hal9000's Tacoma Gallery
Will a 2011 with Satellite Prewire have the Antenna?

Hi all,

Just joined the forums, I'm heading out to order my tacoma tonight.

I was wondering if anyone's purchased a 2011 Access Cab TRD-Off Road without the JBL audio upgrade? If so did the prewire for satellite radio come with the external antenna?

Dealership is telling me the prewire does not include the receiver or the antenna. I know from research the antenna was included in the 2009 and 2010, has this changed or are they confused?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
I bought mine and the salesman told me that it was satellite ready. He was wrong. It was satellite capable. It was going to take $309 worth of parts from toyota (proprietary parts) and another $400 for installation. I told them "no thanks" and had the stock junk taken out and replaced with a new Sony head unit with DVD, NAV, bluetooth, XM, touchscreen and remote for under $1500 installed.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Hal9000's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks! That's similar to what I was planning. Figured I'd save the money and go after market. Just wanted to make sure the antenna would be pre-installed for convenience.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
The antenna is there with the wiring but not the receiver.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
With the 6 disc changer you will have the antenna and XM tuner (for 2011 MY)...IIRC it is a $310 option. With the single disc cd player it is only partially wired and does not have the antenna - you need the tuner, fit kit, and antenna. This was a change for 2011.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Hal9000's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer, well I might just get it to be safe.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I bought mine and the salesman told me that it was satellite ready. He was wrong. It was satellite capable. It was going to take $309 worth of parts from toyota (proprietary parts) and another $400 for installation. I told them "no thanks" and had the stock junk taken out and replaced with a new Sony head unit with DVD, NAV, bluetooth, XM, touchscreen and remote for under $1500 installed.
I bought the Toyota XM tuner and "fit kit" you speak of for $300, and installed it myself in 30 minutes. You don't even need to take the dash apart. I can post the instructions when I get home if anyone is interested. It's all plug and play.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
it27 is on a distinguished road
it27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I bought the Toyota XM tuner and "fit kit" you speak of for $300, and installed it myself in 30 minutes. You don't even need to take the dash apart. I can post the instructions when I get home if anyone is interested. It's all plug and play.
sweet the instructions would be great I am looking to do the same thing.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Hal9000's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it was a 45 minute drive to the dealership and on the way I sold myself on upgrading to the the double cab. I figured this way I could get the full JBL package and the dog would have a comfy back seat.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by it27 View Post
sweet the instructions would be great I am looking to do the same thing.

Thanks.
Here are the instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1226508625.pdf (745.6 KB, 671 views)
Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
30 minutes, WOW, and the stealership wanted $400. What a ripoff they were trying to pull on me. Congrats on the install.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
30 minutes, WOW, and the stealership wanted $400. What a ripoff they were trying to pull on me. Congrats on the install.
Yeah it's a total rip. All you need to do if pop off the kick panel on the drivers door and all the wiring plugs into there. Then you just have to run the wires to under the back seat.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
TacoScott is on a distinguished road
TacoScott's Tacoma Gallery
OK guys, here's what I experienced trying to install the XM tuner and "fit kit" in a new 2011 SR5 4x4 with the single cd head unit with the AM/SAT button.

After installing the tuner under the back seat and running the main communication wire and the antenna to the driver's side kick panel, there was no harness to connect the fit kit to like in the 2009-2010 models. Taking the head unit out, I found there was no prewiring harness for XM in this 2011 model. The head Unit does have the port/terminal on the back of it for the XM cable, but no wire. There is an XM antenna wire with male connectors on each end, one end taped to the main wiring harness behind the head unit, and one taped the harness at the driver's kick panel(the fit kit antenna connector is male also).

After checking at a couple of dealerships, I found no "fit kit" for the 2011 available(yet?).

The 2011 sticker for the truck does not mention SAT prewire or being SAT "ready".

If anyone has a possible solution for this, I'd love to hear from ya. Really wanted to keep the stock head unit.

bummed out,
Scott
Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #14
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoScott View Post
OK guys, here's what I experienced trying to install the XM tuner and "fit kit" in a new 2011 SR5 4x4 with the single cd head unit with the AM/SAT button.

After installing the tuner under the back seat and running the main communication wire and the antenna to the driver's side kick panel, there was no harness to connect the fit kit to like in the 2009-2010 models. Taking the head unit out, I found there was no prewiring harness for XM in this 2011 model. The head Unit does have the port/terminal on the back of it for the XM cable, but no wire. There is an XM antenna wire with male connectors on each end, one end taped to the main wiring harness behind the head unit, and one taped the harness at the driver's kick panel(the fit kit antenna connector is male also).

After checking at a couple of dealerships, I found no "fit kit" for the 2011 available(yet?).

The 2011 sticker for the truck does not mention SAT prewire or being SAT "ready".

If anyone has a possible solution for this, I'd love to hear from ya. Really wanted to keep the stock head unit.

bummed out,
Scott
Do you even have a satellite antenna on the back portion of the roof then?

My window sticker definitely mentioned that my truck was "satellite ready". I have the 6-CD changer head unit.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
TacoScott is on a distinguished road
TacoScott's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=KPT;2449898]Do you even have a satellite antenna on the back portion of the roof then?

Don't see anything that looks like it could be one. Definitely don't have the female port for the antenna in the kick panel.

I'm guessing I'll need an antenna, antenna wire, and the main communication wire from the head unit to the fit kit plug.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=TacoScott;2450734]
Quote:
Do you even have a satellite antenna on the back portion of the roof then?

Don't see anything that looks like it could be one. Definitely don't have the female port for the antenna in the kick panel.

I'm guessing I'll need an antenna, antenna wire, and the main communication wire from the head unit to the fit kit plug.

Thanks,
Scott
If you don't even have a shark fin antenna on the back of the truck then I'd just go complete aftermarket for sat radio.

The fit kit is designed to be plug and play with the toyota antenna.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
If I'm not mistaken, it works like this........In 2009 all the Tacomas started coming with the sharkfin receiver mounted on the roof. The sharkfin is wired as far as the kickplate at the drivers left foot where it deadends. Inside here you find this....

Required to finish the job is either a SFA 12M shark fin (approx. $58.00) adapter from Vais running to an aftermarket external Sat unit, or the Toyota fit kit.

I bought the Vais cable and ran it behind the dash to my mounted Sirius. Essentially you are avoiding the Sirius or XM magnetic antenna and running the cable through the headliner or floor. It's a clean affordable alternative to the factory option.

*Picture borrowed from BPachom*
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the thread that I jacked the pic from with further info on using the factory Sat setup..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...09-tacoma.html
Old 12-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
Ex STi enthusiast www.iwsti.com
Aod will become famous soon enoughAod will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: B.
Aod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
Well, it was a 45 minute drive to the dealership and on the way I sold myself on upgrading to the the double cab. I figured this way I could get the full JBL package and the dog would have a comfy back seat.
NICE choice. Pics?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #20
Hal9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aod View Post
NICE choice. Pics?
Not yet . Had to order it to get my six speed manual. Build date is December 13th and they said it should be delivered before Christmas!