Notices

Rear License Plate Holes Stripped

Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
Scoops for everyone
hoss 011 is on a distinguished road

hoss 011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

yeah, going that route. Like I said, won the toyota lottery within the first 30 days.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
Thundjet is on a distinguished road
Thundjet's Tacoma Gallery
Happy to report the 2012's are no better. Installed my rear plates today only to discover the holes are stripped. To cold to monkey around with it now so just dabbed some marine sealant on the threads which should hold until it warms up.
Doesnt look like a lot of fun trying to fit a real bolt and nut up behind the bumper with the trailer hitch on.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Plate stealing is very bad in my town and on campus so I've put some tamper resistant screws on my truck so far I've gone 2 years without a plate stolen. If they want it they will get them but why waste the time on mine when the person next to me has theirs screwed in with phillips head screws? You can order some here or just find some at your local hardware store.
http://tamperproof.com/
Old 01-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
mine was stripped as well..I just put bigger screws in. I plan on redoing it this spring with billet spikes like I had on my 96.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

yellowrubiu's Tacoma Gallery
I just removed the license plate frames with all the dealer advertising on it and replaced them with plain black frames. When I removed the rear plate, the bolts almost pulled right out, courtesy of the dude at the dealer who used his nice Makita power drill to screw them on

I took care of it with a couple of bolts and nylon lock nuts.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
bravosvo is on a distinguished road
bravosvo's Tacoma Gallery
What size are the factory rear plate screws/bolts? M_?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced mine with 1 1/4" long 1/4" diameter panhead bolts w/ lock nuts, lock washer and sheet metal washer for each when I did my 7 pin relocate w/ a Summit flip-up license plate bracket. That would be the right size whether you were mounting the bracket or just mounting the license plate.

Here's a pic from underneath:

It's two finger work getting the washers and lock nut on the bolt between the bumper and frame, but not too bad if you can get somebody outside else to turn the screw while you fiddle with fastners underneath.

David
Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #28
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
I had a feeling I wasn't the only one to have experienced this. I have a tow package too so I'm sure this is going to be a bitch to get my hands back there with washers and nuts.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #29
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a new high clearance super bad arse really neat overly tough rear bumper! Thats what I did when my bolt holes stripped out.... or the partial zip tie trick would possibly work too.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #30
GTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 came off the dealers lot with the screws for the rear license plate already stripped. I used larger screws.
Kind of pisses me off when I think about it, it's not their vehicle so they could care less even though it was brand new.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #31
Communistwookie is on a distinguished road
Communistwookie's Tacoma Gallery
just as an update to this thread as i was looking for the information and couldn't find any, i bought these from oriely's - UPC: 77341933687 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0308&ppt=C0155

Took a 10mm wrench on the backside of the plate accessed from under the truck and held the nut in place while using my otherhand to tighten with the supplied allen. Took 2-3 minutes tops, my tow reciever didn't really get in the way.