LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear License Plate Holes Stripped

Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SmilingMark's Tacoma Gallery
Rear License Plate Holes Stripped

I figured the "I'm a Douche-Bag" bumper sticker wasn't quite getting the message across so I got vanity plates for my new 2010 AC.

I took out the screws just fine on the other plate, but when I went to screw them in, they just shoved right through, like there was no threads at all. (this is the rear plate)

I doubt this was the best solution, but I mixed up some epoxy, put a little in the holes, then taped the screws in place until it set.

I guess I'm not so much looking for advice as I am just venting. Between the crappy bumper mounted front plate and the lame threads stripping on the rear after 1 use, I'm not pleased with Toyota's license plate mounts.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I would have just replaced the screws with nuts and bolts.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingMark View Post
I figured the "I'm a Douche-Bag" bumper sticker wasn't quite getting the message across so I got vanity plates for my new 2010 AC.

I took out the screws just fine on the other plate, but when I went to screw them in, they just shoved right through, like there was no threads at all. (this is the rear plate)

I doubt this was the best solution, but I mixed up some epoxy, put a little in the holes, then taped the screws in place until it set.

I guess I'm not so much looking for advice as I am just venting. Between the crappy bumper mounted front plate and the lame threads stripping on the rear after 1 use, I'm not pleased with Toyota's license plate mounts.
I believe there should be plastic inserts in the license plate holes, which probably got stripped by the lot boy or salesman who put the license on the first time. Since I off road, rather then worry my plate may fall off or stolen easily I just thru bolted the plate on with stainless hardware and have not worries. Still tight after 2 + years
Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

^^this^^
Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
x3, mine came off the lot with them already mostly stripped, so that's what I did.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Same....I stripped those things day one. I thought WTF your an idiot. Now I feel better.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I put in bigger screws
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
dirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to behold
dirtfondler's Tacoma Gallery
x6 (stainless hardware with nyloc insert nuts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfTaco View Post
x4
Old 11-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
I put in bigger screws
x2
Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
If you do have to bore out the epoxied holes for a plate change or ??, you can use a moly type screw,, that is if the area is inacessible behind those holes. if it is accessible,,then bolts and nuts as suggested.

another trick is to use a tiny zip lock and cut a short section, slip it in the hole, then start the screw in to bind on the zip lock nylon and remaining material around the hole. I have used that method for stripped headlight aming screw holes and other stripped threads. red neck light duty quick fix, but it works.

So sad that they make those plate holding points plastic and dainty. here in WA state we have to change out the plates every 4? years,,so those threaded holes have to be reused.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
epoxy? what if the plates need to come off?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
I put bolts in from behind with a washer then put a washer, lock washer and nut to hold the bolts in place... then a second washer, lock washer, and nut to hold the plate on. worked like a champ.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
another trick is to use a tiny zip lock and cut a short section, slip it in the hole, then start the screw in to bind on the zip lock nylon and remaining material around the hole. I have used that method for stripped headlight aming screw holes and other stripped threads. red neck light duty quick fix, but it works.
Wow, great idea! Too late for me for this application, but will remember in the future.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
epoxy? what if the plates need to come off?
Why would they?

Actually, I barely put in 3 drops each. Just enough to fill the spacing between the threads. I suspect it won't be that hard to bust out if and when I need to.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Scoops for everyone
hoss 011 is on a distinguished road

hoss 011's Tacoma Gallery
F'in thread revival, I know.. Same shit from Toyota Carlsbad. Whoever screwed in the stealership frame stripped out the rear threads. 'yeah, just bring it back on your first service (5000 mi)" it should hold until then." "I have never seen this before" "sorry dude"
. Thanks for playing the $30k lottery and losing on some shizzle that doesn't have a part number. End rant/
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery

Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Ever opened up the tailgate liner? It's very easy to strip one of those inserts, too. Poor material choice by Toyota it seems.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I just bolt mine on with star bits the have the little rod thing in the middle and 2 different sized nyloc nuts on the back. Plate stealing is bad at my campus.