1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swapping bench seat for bucket seats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StormTrooper, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Nov 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    StormTrooper

StormTrooper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Flowmaster Super 44 w/ K&N drop in
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo
    My next project after lowering the truck. Just a few questions though.

1. Has anyone done it before and has pics?
    2. How much do factory xrunner/pre runner seats go for?
    3. How difficult will it be to install? ( i have a welder )

2. Nov 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo
    That sounds good, but... the bench seat if im not mistakin, only has 2 bolt rails, on of the left side next to the door, and one on the right side next to the door. so i would think i'd have to weld another rail wouldnt i?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Nov 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    ill check next time i go out, thanks alot man

4. Jan 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    jeanart

jeanart New Member

Member:
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Dunno if you found the seats you were looking for or not. Regular cabs w/auto trans pose different issues. Seats are a straight install, as previous post indicates bolt holes are predrilled and threaded. 05-08 driver's side should be plug-n-play for airbag; passenger isn't. Seatbelts are an issue, bench buckles don't fit the bucket clasps and would need to be replaced, but can be worked around. Auto shifter is different in other cab layouts from reg cab which means console can't be used.

5. Jan 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    are the seat belt harnesses all wired the same? The air bag sensors all that crap?

If I found a bench seat I might play with putting it in my sport. Its so "pickupy". Don't know as I'd love it. But it usually offeres up some leg room.

6. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    jeanart

jeanart New Member

Member:
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Hate to disagree, but based on my first hand experience swapping in 07 buckets into an 05 reg cab, benches and buckets have specific seatbelt configurations and wiring harnesses. Each configuration has unique seatbelts clasps wired to each seat. The belt buckle that extends/retracts from the side is sized differently for each application (bench buckles are larger) so would have to be replaced.

The wiring, at least for 05-08s is identical for the driver's side. There are 2 connectors (one black 2-pin, one gray 4-pin) for the driver's side for bench or bucket. For the passenger's side, the bench has one black 3-pin connector while the bucket has one 6-pin gray connector. The passenger's side is definitely a sticking point regardless of which way you're swapping seats. I agree that the bench provides a greater amount of leg room, buckets have what could be as much as 2 inches less of rearward travel. The buckets however provide a better vantage point since you sit a little higher. Finding the wiring harness for the particular application (bench or bucket) is very tricky. I haven't found that part number yet.

Air bags in the seats are an issue on 09 and later Tacos I think. Since we bought the 05 used, the driver's side bench had been thrashed. Not a very robust support, which is why we pursued the bucket seat swap. Make sure the bench has all of the requisite hardware and seatbelts. Going from bench to bucket is managable, I'm not sure how the reverse could be done without a lot of shade tree engineering. Good luck. I'm sure there'll be some disagreement on what I've explained, but I'll take pictures when we replace the bench seatbelt buckles with bucket buckles.

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 1:36 AM
    StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:

I have kinda given up on the idea, but thanks alot for the info! If not used by me, hopefully someone will come across it

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! goodluck and show pics

9. Mar 1, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    blakelerma

blakelerma Just For Today

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis ( Blake )
    Fort Worth texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 pearlslick gray 4x4 preRunner Tacoma
    31 inch tires with spacer leveling lift. bull Bar,
    i thought about doing it ,, but NO MORE. i thought it would be way more room in the back. I am still trying to find a way for more room in the back for road trips!

10. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    pics anyone has done it already???

11. Apr 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    wanna see pic if chokeroom

12. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:22 AM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
  13. May 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    weazleburger

weazleburger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    07 base reg cab 5-speed
    Did you ever find the part # for the passenger side bucket wiring harness so the sensor will work?

Did you ever replace the bench seatbelt buckles with the bucket buckles?

14. May 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    jeanart

jeanart New Member

Member:
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    No, I haven't located the part number for the female wiring harness, but there are only 3 wires of the harness that need to make contact for the airbag light to go off (assumption on my part). As for the seatbelts, no again, but I'm going to buy new fronts for a 4D Taco with the reason being the set up would be more similar to the reg cab than the belts from an access cab which are in the access doors as opposed to a fixed element in the truck body. I've also seen pics of an 05 reg cab SR5s which have buckets and manual trannys, but those part numbers don't seem to come up. Sorry I couldn't be more precise.

15. Apr 16, 2020 at 3:53 AM
    WillDaBeast84taco

WillDaBeast84taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma V6 4.0
    all stock so far, but looking to get some part soon. I want to add boost
    I'm trying to do the same but I have a four-door Tacoma and I'm trying to swap out my rear bench for 2 bucket seats..
    I would have 4 bucket seats total..

if I do it I will take pics and show everyone how I did it. patience it might be awhile

pinktaco808 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top