Notices

LSD hardware or electronic LSD ?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Castile is on a distinguished road
Army: grunt
Name: Dan
Castile's Tacoma Gallery
LSD hardware or electronic LSD ?

In 2007 I ordered my 2007 Tacoma 4x4 with Vehicle Stability and Traction Control. I am about the replace the fluid in the rear differential. Is there any chance at all that there is actual LSD hardware in this differential ? Or is all of my LSD coming from my brakes and the computer ?

I am quite aware that I am an idiot. There is no need to reference that fact in any reply.

Thank You
Old 11-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a TRD Sport model you will have the LSD standard. Otherwise, it would only be there if you specifically ordered that component. Your VSC/TC will be trying to maintain traction on its own without an LSD to help.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You should have a sticker on the rear of the diff saying weather or not LS diff addative is required. Look for this sticker:

Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Castile is on a distinguished road
Army: grunt
Name: Dan
Castile's Tacoma Gallery
It's not a TRD Sport and I don't find that label on the differential. Thanks for those answers. I was just about to pull the drain plug when it occurred to me that I did not really know if this was a mechanical LSD or not. Now I can just go ahead and change the fluid and forget worrying about it. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
If you have a TRD Sport model you will have the LSD standard. Otherwise, it would only be there if you specifically ordered that component. Your VSC/TC will be trying to maintain traction on its own without an LSD to help.
looking on the toyota site, the auto LSD is standard. so i'm assuming that became standard after the OP's model year sometime? this was one of the first things i looked for in the spec sheet when considering the TRD vs. the SR5 and when i saw that it was standard, i got the SR5.

Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD)
Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
looking on the toyota site, the auto LSD is standard. so i'm assuming that became standard after the OP's model year sometime? this was one of the first things i looked for in the spec sheet when considering the TRD vs. the SR5 and when i saw that it was standard, i got the SR5.
2009 is when the AUTO LSD came out.

2005-2008 the mechanical LSD was an option. The TRD Sport was the only one that had it standard. So even the SR5's could have the LSD.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
sounds a whole lot of confusing goin on here...
Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
2009 is when the AUTO LSD came out.

2005-2008 the mechanical LSD was an option. The TRD Sport was the only one that had it standard. So even the SR5's could have the LSD.
makes sense. thanks!