Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help choosing a tonneau cover

Old 11-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Help choosing a tonneau cover

I'm looking to get a tonneau cover for my truck. I like the idea of a soft top because they're a bit cheaper, but I wanted to know how secure/strong they are when deployed. Also, do most of them flap with the wind going around the truck at speed?

For a hard cover I was looking at the RollnLock M-series and the Truck Covers USA one.

Can someone tell me the pros/cons of hard and soft covers, and help me pick one?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
I don't want a large farva!
chiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nice

chiefridr's Tacoma Gallery
I see these tonneau cover posts on here all the time. Your gonna get lots of opinions, and if you search the site, you'll get even more. Just go with an Access soft tonneau. Best fucking soft tonneau cover out there. Period. I've had mine for 3 years. I put it on myself in about 30 mins. It has never come off in the wind at highway speeds on me. It's been thru gale force winds, lots of snow, ice, rain, hail, blistering sun and everything else mother nature throws at it, and it's never failed. Water doesn't get in and get all over your gear either.
If you want a soft tonneau, just do yourself a favor and get the best soft tonneau cover you can buy. Get an Access! I never cared for the hard tonneaus cuz some of them you have to paint to match, they're too heavy, the struts fail, and they don't roll back nicely when you're carrying a large cargo load.
And no, I don't work for Access! It's just a great fuckin product!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
samhain will become famous soon enoughsamhain will become famous soon enough
Name: Brandon
samhain's Tacoma Gallery
Extang Tuff 3 FTW.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
ultraxr is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electronic Technician
ultraxr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefridr View Post
I see these tonneau cover posts on here all the time. Your gonna get lots of opinions, and if you search the site, you'll get even more. Just go with an Access soft tonneau. Best fucking soft tonneau cover out there. Period. I've had mine for 3 years. I put it on myself in about 30 mins. It has never come off in the wind at highway speeds on me. It's been thru gale force winds, lots of snow, ice, rain, hail, blistering sun and everything else mother nature throws at it, and it's never failed. Water doesn't get in and get all over your gear either.
If you want a soft tonneau, just do yourself a favor and get the best soft tonneau cover you can buy. Get an Access! I never cared for the hard tonneaus cuz some of them you have to paint to match, they're too heavy, the struts fail, and they don't roll back nicely when you're carrying a large cargo load.
And no, I don't work for Access! It's just a great fuckin product!
Damn... You got me sold on wanting a Access top now. haha thx.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
I couldn't agree more with Cheif. Best vinyl tonno cover on the market. In my experience their customer service is excellent.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrn2taco View Post
I couldn't agree more with Cheif. Best vinyl tonno cover on the market. In my experience their customer service is excellent.
X3

Zero problems from mine and I do absolutely nothing to take care of it.

Check here for the best prices:

http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Access LE and love it. Whatever you decide on check out the prices at Truck Alterations. They had the best price a year ago, Very fast shipping.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
truxedo ftmfw
Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
fd143 is on a distinguished road
fd143's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
X3

Zero problems from mine and I do absolutely nothing to take care of it.

Check here for the best prices:

x4 no problems.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just so you actually get some different opinions, I've got a Lund Peel n Seal roll up tonneau. Cost like $200 at autoanything. I've had their products on 3 pick-ups so far and never had any issues with them. I've also never heard of any tonneau letting go and flapping in the wind. Another great option are the tri-fold covers. They hinged so they fold into thirds rather than roll-up. Assembly and tear down is very very simple. Some even have a hard board built in so you can't cut through them. That means if you put a lock on your tailgate, you can lock up the bed of the truck.
I think if you're looking for a hard tonneau, something like the trifold with the hardboard built in is a much better option. One example of them is the Torza Top Hard Hat.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Thanks for the replies. I'll give the Access a serious look, now.

What i meant by flapping in the wind was the top stays secured but the vinyl buffets due to its soft nature.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll give the Access a serious look, now.

What i meant by flapping in the wind was the top stays secured but the vinyl buffets due to its soft nature.
I get a little movement with mine at highway speeds but not even enough where you can hear it. Only reason I know it's happening is from what I see in the rear view. Good luck man, the access is a nice cover!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I get a little movement with mine at highway speeds but not even enough where you can hear it. Only reason I know it's happening is from what I see in the rear view. Good luck man, the access is a nice cover!

What kind of movement are you having? Is it a rippling effect where you can see the wind causing vibrations in the vinyl or are you seeing the skeleton/frame move around (or lift) a bit?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
tacomiker is on a distinguished road
tacomiker's Tacoma Gallery
Cover

Truck alterations on this site 355.00 for a Truxedo Lo Pro had on 4 other tacomas,liftetime warranty and 455.00 on all other sites.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Love my Access Roll-Up cover. Easy to install, easier to use. No bows to store when it's rolled up, barely makes any noise when I'm driving...and I usually have the back window open. One of the best purchases I have made for my truck.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Do all soft tonneaus do this?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I had an Access LE on my Tundra. As others have said, it is an excellent cover, extremely taut & adjustable to changing weather conditions which helps keep the cover nice and tight.

On my Tacoma I went with an Extang Trifecta tri-fold only because I need a cover that would come completely off the truck very easily for my landscaping jobs, bulk mulch etc.
It does not lie as flat as the Access but works great for what I need. Its easy for me to lift off and on, Keeps rain & snow out. Has held up to lots of abuse over the last 3+ yrs.

I mean the Trifolds do not move around and lock onto the truck tight, its the hinge mechanisms for folding that make it not look as flat. It also sits on the bed rails. If I remember my Access, it had side rails that fit inside the bed. Not sure if that is still the case on the tacomas.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
This thread was extremely helpful...to me at least when I was looking.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...eau-cover.html

Maybe it'll help you, also.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #20
kite will become famous soon enough

kite's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought an Access Literider from truckalterations for $280 shipped. Very happy with this cover, especially for the price. I was originally looking for a cheapie $160 special. I'm very glad I spent the extra $120 on this cover.

Can be set up very tight, it locks, load bars roll up with the cover, rolls up small, maintains use of tie down and rails, easy to install, rolls up in 20 seconds and down in 30, looks good and is cheap.