Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibrating Mirrors

Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Vibrating Mirrors

Does anybody else's mirrors vibrate at highway speeds. My driver side mirror on my 08 DC Sport vibrates so bad, i can barely make out the cars behind me. Only at about >60 mph though...

Maybe the wind is just too much for it???
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had a problem with vibration. And I do about 75-80 mph.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Mine only vibrates when I put quarters in!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Mine only vibrates when I put quarters in!
Ha!
I had an S-10 that I had to replace the mirrors. They vibrated so much that they cracked and eventually fell off. I found out later that it was due to the Bug Deflector. I guess certain ones would create such a vortex on the mirrors that it would crack. Chevy put a beefier mirror on after that.
Maybe it's the same thing!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Only when I have the stereo cranked up, and then the whole truck vibrates.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
Does anybody else's mirrors vibrate at highway speeds. My driver side mirror on my 08 DC Sport vibrates so bad, i can barely make out the cars behind me. Only at about >60 mph though...

My 05 Tacoma
Yes I have the problem with my drivers side. I have to tighten the star screws every now and then. Bought a set of screwdrivers years ago @ Sears & it came with a set of star screw drivers. I never used until recently on my Tacoma. There is a plastic cover that you have to pry off with a tiny flathead screwdriver (to access the screw). Then you will need a star screwdriver (not sure what size).
Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
My 05 Tacoma
Yes I have the problem with my drivers side. I have to tighten the star screws every now and then. Bought a set of screwdrivers years ago @ Sears & it came with a set of star screw drivers. I never used until recently on my Tacoma. There is a plastic cover that you have to pry off with a tiny flathead screwdriver (to access the screw). Then you will need a star screwdriver (not sure what size).
Thanks, I think i'll try that...Its only my drivers side mirror as well. Passenger side is fine. And its only the glass...not the whole mirror...The glass just vibrates inside the cover.

Thanks for the tip...
Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks, I think i'll try that...Its only my drivers side mirror as well. Passenger side is fine. And its only the glass...not the whole mirror...The glass just vibrates inside the cover.

Thanks for the tip...
I believe it has gotten this way because someone may have run into it in a parking lot. Even though they are break away mirrors. Mine started doing it 8 months ago. I keep tightening the screws & have to do it every 3 or 4 months.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Lord of Tomfoolery

You will need a star screw driver also called : TORX, the size is T25 for the mirror. I have a set that came with my Craftsman screwdriver set.

I have to tighten mine every couple of months.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
only when i have the stereo cranked up, and then the whole truck vibrates.
+1
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
caliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the rough

Name: kyle
caliKxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
two l7 kickers dont really help the vibating issues hahah
Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My 05 Tacoma
torx bits man!!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
torx bits man!!
Yeah man!
They put them on our truck to screw us! Most people do not own TORX, so they will take it to the dealer & get charged $50 for turning a screw a half of a turn. It is criminal!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #14
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah man!
They put them on our truck to screw us! Most people do not own TORX, so they will take it to the dealer & get charged $50 for turning a screw a half of a turn. It is criminal!
yeah, i know. and just think.....you can get a set of torx it screwdrivers at northern tool for like $10.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Never had that problem man
Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
turn ur stereo down its the bass lmao
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
Quote:
x2
Old 08-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #18
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
the vibrating usually happens because of the glass part of the mirror being pushed and/or moved, it loosens something inside that causes it to go "off track" or something like that.
*this goes for the electric mirrors

I had this happen when I tried cleaning the mirrors on my old civic and my dad did it to his f150. we pushed on it too hard and moved it, then every time after that it vibrated at highway speeds
Old 08-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery

I think mine happened in a parking lot. I think someone walking by hit it/ ran into it. For the last year I have had to every couple of months tighten the screws.

Does anyone know if lock-tite would work on a metal screw going into plastic? I know it works metal to metal. Just getting tired of constantly having to tighten these screws. Or if you know of an alternative to fixing this problem? Besides the expensive route of replacing the mirror.

I wish that was my problem, having the music too loud. Crank it up!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #20
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Mine vibrate because my music is WAY too loud.